sore after working out

Options
adagolden
adagolden Posts: 146 Member
Ok, so I work out about 6 days a week and i am not always feeling it after or the next day. Is this normal? Should I feel something everytime I work out? Or do I need to change it up to feel something? Or if I am sweating then it is working? Just wanted to pick your alls brains on the topic, thank you for your help.

Replies

• smigdol
    smigdol Posts: 5
    Options
    What type of workouts are you doing? It's a good idea to alternate cardio and weight resistance training. Having muscle soreness the next day is a definite indication of how hard you are working out. Do you have a heart rate monitor? It's really a great tool to help you track calories burned and to let you know if you are getting your heart rate high enough to enter the "fat" burning zone. =)
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Once your muscles get used to the workout, why would they be sore? If you're comfortable with your workout routine and accomplishing what you want with it, then ok. If you plateau or want more, or just want to be more well rounded, then mix it up. It's fine that you're not sore, and it's great that you're still working out all the time, and it's also fine to want to push in other directions, knowing that for a while, that'll make you sore. Either way, just keep moving!
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started working out in February and have increased my workout every week. I am never sore. If you get sore it sometimes discourages you from being consistent. I have never been real sore from a workout but have been able to consistently increase my workouts and have lost 22 lbs and I'm not sure of the total inches but I know I've lost 4 off of my hips and 3 off of my waist. For me that is good. I don't choose to push myself until I ache and can barely move the next few days after a workout. As long as I am pushing myself, just beyond comfortably, to the best of my ability, and increase it every week, I am happy. I don't feel it's necessary to kill yourself with physical workouts...but that is just my opinion. I will say, however, that after working in my yard carrying big rocks and making new flowerbeds..laying down weed barrier cloth, and planting new plants, this week...I have found muscles I forgot I had...lol! But....they are in my thighs and butt so that is a good thing! I use a decent HRM also and I believe it is way more accurate than what is posted on here for activities. Just keep pushing yourself to your limit and challenge yourself to increase as you go....you'll be pleasantly surprised!
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Once your muscles get used to the workout, why would they be sore? If you're comfortable with your workout routine and accomplishing what you want with it, then ok. If you plateau or want more, or just want to be more well rounded, then mix it up. It's fine that you're not sore, and it's great that you're still working out all the time, and it's also fine to want to push in other directions, knowing that for a while, that'll make you sore. Either way, just keep moving!

I agree!!! Everyone is different...just do what you feel you can handle and challenge yourself!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You should be tired but after the first week or two there shuldn't be any significant lingering soreness. As long as you are continuing to improve you are doing the right thing.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The soreness comes from micro-tears in your muscles. When you exert yourself, especially with weights or strength exercise, your muscles get micro-tears, and then take a few days to be repaired, bigger and stronger than ever. That is how you put on muscle. Micro-tear "soreness" can't be soothed by tylenol; icing is the only thing that helps (according to my coach).

This soreness is telling your body that you are pushing to the limit. When your body gets used to an exercise, it going into "conservation" mode; basically it learns how to conserve as much energy as possible because it knows the movement of your exercise. Therefore you will burn less calories. A better idea is to alternate exercise routines and constantly change them up to keep your body guessing.
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    THanks for the tips, I alternate strenght training with cardio and weights, I think I am starting Insanity over the weekend, so I will tell you all about sore next week....happy long weekend to all