Strength Training

Options
How many times should i be doing strength training a week? I do cardio/dancing classes 6 days a week for 2 hours a day and i have a personal trainer but i only meet up with her for 30 minutes a week.

What is the correct balance for cardio/strength training ? I'd like to hear opinions of what you guys do to balance it out :)

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I was recommended doing 3 days a week of weights, and 3 days of calisthetics...Cardio I do every time I go to the gym though...I'm knocking calisthetics down to 2 days a week so I can give my body time to recover
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I do 3 days of strength.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    3-4 days a week.
  • hull37
    hull37 Posts: 11
    Options
    4/5 days of strength and 4 of cardio thats wat i do lol
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I do 3-4 days of strength training. I also do light cardio on those days. The days I don't do strength I do more cardio. Except for my one day of rest. I'm getting ready to start Insanity though so I'm not sure how much my routine is going to change. haha
  • lovinglife71
    lovinglife71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also had the same questions, spending all this time at the gym doing cardio and a little strength training, on my own. I found the most awesome friend, she is my inspiration and hopefully you can get something out of her blog.
    http:/myfitnesspal.com/blog/stephanielynn76.....Good luck!!
  • sonyyyyy
    sonyyyyy Posts: 33
    Options
    I do 3-4 days of strength training. I also do light cardio on those days. The days I don't do strength I do more cardio. Except for my one day of rest. I'm getting ready to start Insanity though so I'm not sure how much my routine is going to change. haha

ahhhhhh u have heard about insanity! is it like a video??! I want to try it!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals...
  • kristy_estes21
    Options

It's a 60-day program that is...well, INSANE! haha!! I have some friends that did it and lost between 13-16 pounds and they don't eat as clean and healthy as me either so hopefully I'll get some good results. It's a lot of cardio type stuff. Jump squats, etc. My legs are my problem area (cellulite = the devil) so hopefully all those squats and stuff will help me. :) I don't know if and how much weight training I can do while doing Insanity though. It's pretty intense from what I saw on the video. I have the videos saved on my computer. I've done P90X and liked it a lot too.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I do 3 days of strength.

your arms look sick Beebs!!!

(in a really good way)
  • sonyyyyy
    sonyyyyy Posts: 33
    Options

It's a 60-day program that is...well, INSANE! haha!! I have some friends that did it and lost between 13-16 pounds and they don't eat as clean and healthy as me either so hopefully I'll get some good results. It's a lot of cardio type stuff. Jump squats, etc. My legs are my problem area (cellulite = the devil) so hopefully all those squats and stuff will help me. :) I don't know if and how much weight training I can do while doing Insanity though. It's pretty intense from what I saw on the video. I have the videos saved on my computer. I've done P90X and liked it a lot too.

im definitely going to try it!!!!
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Like others...I strength train 3-4 times/week. I do light cardio on weight training days, and I do long cardio 2-3 times/week. Sometimes I'll do long cardio after strength training but thats usually only if Im taking 2 rest days that week. It's important not to do too many days bc you need time for your muscles to recover. Focus on doing specific muscle groups on certain days.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Just finished Insanity and you can fit in weight training on the "recovery" days (very boring, no impact) and your rest day. I was still weight training twice a week. He does a lot of calisthenics - pushups, tricep dips, planks, etc. so the only muscle groups I felt that weren't getting enough were biceps and back.
    As for the legs thing - you better believe Insanity will whip those babies into shape!! more squats and plyo than you ever wanted to do in your whole life!
  • kristy_estes21
    Options
    Haha!! Awesome! Can't wait to feel the burn in my legs and booty. :) My upper body is pretty easy for me to keep in shape, but my lower body...UGH! I hate it!