College Football - Training/lifting Program

Options
I watch a good deal of football, from high school to NFL. Always amazed at the physical difference between high school (17 & 18 y/o boys) and college players (men). Obviously some difference relates when boys develop but am curious what their lifting schedule, routine, diet entails.

Anyone have any insight? Of course they have top notch facilities, loads of free time and young muscles and are physically elite to begin with as opposed to me who is a middle-aged accountant with little spare time and YMCA facilities.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure, but I would've thought something like Stronglifts 5x5 would be good. It follows compound lifts; squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press and pendlay rows.

• FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer to this as well. The closest thing that I know of is the Insanity Asylum workouts. I am 2.5 weeks in and he does mention that a lot of the workouts he incorporates are sports based. There is even a day called "gameday" that goes through multiple sport-inspired workouts, including football.
    It's not exactly football training, but it does build up your endurance/stamina to crazy heights!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're talking about the 17-18 year old kids in your local town to the college men playing on TV.......the guys on TV also have genes, as well a strength and conditioning coach who create workout routines specific to them, they spend their spring and summer training, as well as having access to the training "table".
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Well, if you're talking about the 17-18 year old kids in your local town to the college men playing on TV.......the guys on TV also have genes, as well a strength and conditioning coach who create workout routines specific to them, they spend their spring and summer training, as well as having access to the training "table".

This. The college athletes you see on TV are the top 1-2% of all high school athletes, they're gifted with elite size and athleticism.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Stanford

USC

^^ Interesting reading!
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

This. The college athletes you see on TV are the top 1-2% of all high school athletes, they're gifted with elite size and athleticism.

True but even if you look at their high school pics, recruiting videos vs their college physiques they are very different.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I can only speak to what I witness in my own gym but they it's four classes a week, two strength and conditioning and two speed and agility. As far as diet some of them eat horribly and get sick during or after class while others are more cognizant of their diets and supplementation.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    They do have elite genes but the elite college programs require they lift 5x a week for 1-2 hrs a day. From what I know, there are in-season and out of season training programs but both involve compound lifts that promote explosion and power. This includes a lot of power cleans, squats, deadlifts, box jumps, and bench press. Obviously there are different workouts stressing different things depending on position and they all do positional footwork speed and coordination drills.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Just checked out the results for the 2015 NFL combine for the bench press. Selecting just the WR and CB, which are typically the smaller physiques, they bench pressed 225 lbs about 15-25 times. The record is 49 reps. OMG :o
  • regraves
    regraves Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A staff of strength and conditioning coaches, nutritionists, trainers, sports medicine Drs., private training facilities, and various other perks doesn't hurt.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just checked out the results for the 2015 NFL combine for the bench press. Selecting just the WR and CB, which are typically the smaller physiques, they bench pressed 225 lbs about 15-25 times. The record is 49 reps. OMG :o

While it is impressive that they pump out that many reps, form goes out the window as quickly as possible. The majority of the reps you see when you watch them are just bouncing the bar off the chest in order to utilize the bounce to aid them in getting the weight back to an easier position to handle. I am by far not a form nazi but you wouldn't want to use the NFL combine as a way to teach someone to bench press.

Also, when athletes go to the combine, they undergo specific training for all the test they will perform at the combine and that usually starts once their season ends. It is much easier to train someone to put up good combine numbers then it is to training them to be a good football player. You will see a lot of players put up great numbers, but they will flame out of the league in no time because they are all show and no go.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    A lot of it has to do with hormone production. Teenagers are still going through puberty until about 18 or so and between 18-25, testosterone production is at its highest levels. So, more test = more muscle, which is why college-age football players are generally bigger, stronger and faster than their high school counterparts.