Needing encouragement, getting discouraged.

Options
Getting discouraged, been on fitness pal since may 4th, always below calories, never use my exercise calories and always keep my carbs below 100. One day a week I have a cheat meal with alcohol but watch really close that day I cheat. Have not lost one lb, may have gained, I am measuring every thing and counting everythin I eat. Have also upped my exercise to 4 days vs 3 days week. and have started Zumba. However my clothes are really loose and I have bought several medium shirts when last year this time was an xlarge. Why are the scales not showing results..same thing when I did Atkins induction, only lost three lbs..Help??? needing encouragement
20 hours ago · Comment
Write a comment...

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It's possible you aren't eating enough. I've been finding that a lot of people who say they aren't losing weight aren't eating enough.
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Its beause you are building muscle!!!!! I try not to focus so much on the scale because i had the same problem when i first started exercising. When you start of with almost no muscle tone, you have to build from nothing and muscle weighs more than fat so you are losing fat and gaining (heavier) muscle! Focus on inches lost, clothes getting looser, and the pounds will start to follow! Dont give up yet!
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say 'do this' and that would fix it for you. I am in the same boat and all I can say is it is better than the alternative to gaining. Try upping your caloreis or zig-zagging them. Keep at it. I have heard it takes time. We will do this!
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree....don't step on the scale everyday...it fluctuates and it will drive you crazy to see how it goes up and down. Just keep up the good work.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The scale makes me angry most of the time. Yet still I get on it multiple times a day just out of habit. I've only lost 3 pounds but am a pants size smaller. To me that doesn't make any sense, but I guess the best thing to do is take a look in the mirror and SEE that you're looking smaller. And then look at the difference in how your clothes fit. Maybe put that xlarge shirt next to the medium one to see the difference. :)
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    Focus on inches lost, clothes getting looser, and the pounds will start to follow! Dont give up yet!
    Yes! Keep on pushing, it'll happen. :)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I be more happy with inches than with weight you can see inches you cant see pounds
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It takes time. Didn't go on in a day, week or month, won't come off in a healthy manner that way either. Play with your numbers. It sounds like you may not be eating enough. Hard to say. The clothes fitting better is a great start! Stick with us!
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    Don't give up! you have to beat your mind at its own game! Hang in there and don't let the scale be your only satisfaction. You are the only one that has to know that number. Everyone that looks at you will see your progress, not the number, you have to do the same!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    its because weight means nothing. It is all about body composition. Get rid of the scale, and grab a measuring tape and body fat calipers. As your body gains muscle, it can lose fat. Muscle is more dense than fat and takes less space. This means, you can lose inches and body fat and not lose fat. For example, after 12 weeks of chalean extreme, i lost 3% body fat, 6" around my body but only lost 5 lbs.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    As has been already mentioned, Don't spend too much time worrying about the scale. If your clothes are fitting better (looser) your making progress. If you are looking better in the mirror you are making progress. Muscle is denser than fat so you can weigh the same amount and be losing fat and gaining muscle.

You should be replacing your exercise calories. If you set up MFP properly in the beginning it already has a daily calorie deficit built in. So, depending on how much exercise you do you may be eating too few calories and depriving your body calories needed to build muscle.

Only weigh yourself once a week, first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything, after you have gone to the bathroom, naked. It may still vary some but this is how you will get the most consistently accurate weight.

Keep up the great work and don't give up!
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    No, it's not because your building muscle. It takes a lot longer than that to build muscle. You're not eating enough protein and calories to build muscle.

MY guess is that you aren't eating enough calories. If you are eating enough, you might not be eating the right things?

Open up your diary so people can see what your eating.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I will make one more suggestion. If you weigh yourself daily, then do a weekly average. This is if you can't get rid of the scale.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh the scale is the enemy!
  • Mememone
    Mememone Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If I understand right.... you are not eating your exercise calories? If so, you should eat at least a good portion of them to replace the calories burnt and so your body doesn't think you are starving it. At least that is what works for me. Also pick one day per week to weigh yourself. I don't lose weight every week, sometimes it takes a couple of weeks.
  • lori8431
    lori8431 Posts: 68
    Options
    How do I open my food diary for people to see?
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    To make your food diary public, go to you Settings Tab, to change it from private to public.
  • hyper588
    hyper588 Posts: 28
    Options
    How do I open my food diary for people to see?

Click on the Settings link at the top of this page. Then update your food diary preferences.

I've only used this site 3 days, but really like its tools.

I guess my advice would be to trust in the process. 3,500 calorie deficiate = 1 lb lost

Also, try to view your newly formed habits as lifestyle changes that won't end, rather than "dieting" which suggest a quick fix (and we all know...there are no quick fixes).
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you are doing that good on the carbs, keep it up. More protein tho for sure. And as already mentioned. Weigh yourself just once a week, right after you get up.. Good luck!

6994548.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Its beause you are building muscle!!!!! I try not to focus so much on the scale because i had the same problem when i first started exercising. When you start of with almost no muscle tone, you have to build from nothing and muscle weighs more than fat so you are losing fat and gaining (heavier) muscle! Focus on inches lost, clothes getting looser, and the pounds will start to follow! Dont give up yet!

MUSCLE does NOT weigh more than FAT! A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat! But....muscle may be replacing the fat in your body. You may not be showing a loss on the scale but your body is more toned. Be sure to measure if you are not showing a loss on th scale. I was working out alot at first and started not showing a loss on the scale. I lightened up on my workouts and started showing a loss again. I never measured except once....was just measured recently and was pleasantly surprised! Just be patient...you will learn how things are working for you and I believe your body will catch up sooner or later. Good luck! :-)