Walking vs elliptical

Options
Does anyone know if using an elliptical is better than walking on a treadmill or in my neighborhood? I live in PA and have hills and such to walk on. I'm also trying to start to lose weight and am struggling with exercise.

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Walking in the "real world" is always better than at the gym, because you have uneven terrain to challenge you and it is so much less boring! The only time the gym is better is when the weather is either too hot or too cold, IMO.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a little on your physical state, too. The ellioptical is certainly lower-impact than walking, but walking tends to be more interesting. Plus, as whmscll pointed out, the terrain can provide an extra push. I think I burn more calories on the elliptical, but I enjoy walking a lot more.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    There's no one answer for what is "better". For what it's worth I burn about 5 kcal/min walking and 9 kcal/min on the elliptical, so it does provide a larger calorie burn for the same duration of exercise. However, most people can walk longer than they can do the elliptical, and I work at fairly high intensity.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    anmhep62 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if using an elliptical is better than walking on a treadmill or in my neighborhood? I live in PA and have hills and such to walk on. I'm also trying to start to lose weight and am struggling with exercise.

Better in what sense, they are different activities.

If you are after losing weight then cardio becomes a straightforward calculation based on the intensity and duration of your workout, whih is modified by how mucch you weigh. The following will make your burn higher, longer duration, higher intensity, weighing more.

If you are strugling with exercise then do the one you enjoy, becayse you cna stick that out for longer. Walking outside in the good weather would get my vote. As you build up endurance then you cna consider increasing your intensity. If you didnt mind giving up the ouside walk then you have the potential to burn more on the elipyical, but it depends on you being able to cope with the increased intensity.

Fitness will come, so just try gradual progression and be patiently persistent.
  • kdsayre19
    kdsayre19 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post I was wondering the same thing
  • Genome88
    Genome88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find I burn more on the elliptical and will go longer because I watch Netflix while I workout or sometimes I read. I get bored walking, even with music. Audiobooks help, but only when I find one where the voice doesn't annoy me. On the elliptical I keep the incline high and the pace moderate. I also like that I can keep a fan on me or even air conditioning (if I've bothered to install it in the window, which I haven't yet this year).

But as people have said, whichever you like doing more is probably "better" for you because you're more likely to keep doing it. Sometimes I only convince myself to workout by restricting my Netflix watching to only when I'm on the elliptical. Some people will tell you that reading or watching TV while doing cardio makes it less effective, but I disagree. Any cardio is better than no cardio, which would happen much more often for me without something to occupy my mind while I move my body.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Walking is not as vigorous a workout as using an elliptical... At least not the way I do them :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Walking is good. :) The tread mill can be hard on the joints (depending on age, weight, fitness level). Our doctor recommended the elliptical to my husband because it will be good for his endorphins (the feel good exercise hormones).
  • Blazing_Brunette
    Blazing_Brunette Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Treadmill walking can burn high calories .. It's in the incline ... Do the machine that feels good to you and build endurance.. Challenge yourself