Post-binge GUILT!

Options
Ahhh I'm so angry at myself. Last weekend was really tough for me: I went away for an annual girl's trip with my friends, and while I wasn't terrible with my eating there was tons of booze involved. Of course, come Monday morning I was sleep deprived and hung over, and had major cravings that I eventually succumbed too. Unfortunately, this little snag in my routine dragged on through the week and now the scale is up close to 10 pounds and I'm SO DISAPPOINTED in myself. I've cleaned it up and am back in the gym now, but I can't help feeling super guilty. I almost have a weird feeling of anxiety or panic that I can't quite shake when I think about the progress I've lost.

I know this whole weight loss thing is a mental shift as well, and I'm trying not to be to hard on myself but this just highlights the work I still have to do.

Replies

• rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The situation got the best of you. It is not the end of the world. You have gained 10 lbs, not lost your sight or a limb or something irreplaceable.
    It is only 10 lbs that can come off again. Totally doable. Get back your rational perspective. Stay calm, log your food, get some exercise. Just remember "Your best teacher is your last mistake." Onward...don't look back
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Well said ^^^^

We are our worst sabotagers. Just move on, you can't dwell on it or you won't be successful.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It sucks, when we work so hard to lose it but In all likelyhood that 10lb gain will drop by 1/2 or more after a few days back on track. Just move past it and forgive yourself
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just remember the next time you go out with your friends that you don't need to drink to have a good time. The momentary pleasure isn't worth the much longer guilt and struggle you will go through to fix the mistake you made.
  • GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know this will sound crazy but I have gone through that same thing, but it didn't turn out as bad as you'd expect. I normally eat under 1500 and eat very low carb. I went on vacation for 2 weeks to Las Vegas, and it is nearly impossible to eat low carb without buying your own groceries. After a few days you cannot stand the sight of salads.

Anyways, when I got home my scale was also 10lbs heavier than I was when I left. I was pissed. I was depressed and was just overall disappointed in myself. After a few days of eating how I normally do I checked the scale again. And the weight was gone. A few days later, I had lost another 5lbs.

Before my vacation I was actually in a plateau and was having a hard time getting over a hump. It actually seems that the binge triggered some kind of reaction in my body or something because I have been losing it more steadily now.

You also have to remember that 10lbs is an excess of 35000 calories! That's over 60 Big Macs! I suspect that most of it will be water weight added to your body. Which usually goes away quickly. Don't worry too much.
  • reeves45
    reeves45 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good advice. Know how you feel. It is one day at a time.
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    OP, I feel your pain. The exact same thing happened to me. I was at goal, doing great, then a vacation got me totally got me off track and I just couldn't get back on. I've ended up 10 pounds heavier as well. I too am SO mad at myself. It was NOT worth it. I've been back on track for the past few days, and I'm determined to get this extra weight off.
    No advice for you. Just letting you know you're not alone.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    A LOT of that will be water weight. I'd have thought at least 6lb if not more. Drink lots of fluids, avoid foods with high sodium or salt and you should drop most of those 10lb back off over the next couple of weeks. People mess up, it happens. Learn from your mistakes and continue on the right path!
  • girlalmighty08
    girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    "Your best teacher is your last mistake." <--- So true! Love that. Thanks for all the support everyone... if anything it helps just to know I'm not alone.

• willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Girl, I also have struggled with binges.. it's ok. One day at a time. Forgive yourself, drink plenty of water this week, eat clean. Each day is a new opportunity.
    p.s. I guarantee you, you'll see that you didn't gain ten lbs at all... it's water weight- but it is such a mental thing, i hate the scale some days.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I bet it's way worse in your mind than it really is. I had a bad weekend, ate like 6 slices of pizza on Saturday night, lots and lots of drinks, candy, cereal... decided to get on the scale today and had gained (gasp) - Nothing. My point is it could be water weight you're retaining that will quickly disappear. Get back to eating at a deficit, keep working out, and you'll be on track again in no time. Beating yourself up in times like these is counterproductive. You have to enjoy life too! :)

• BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. I only gained 3 lbs but as soon as i got back on track, i burned it off within a week. Its probably mostly water weight. Just stay really focused and it will fall back off. Expecting to never have setbacks is unrealistic :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    This is booze weight...booze = liquid. So don't be too hard on yourself. You partied with your girlfriends like it was 1999 and now its back to reality. :)
  • girlalmighty08
    girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Update: I've lost 7.8 pounds since my original post... thank goodness! Just a few more to go then I'm back at my 'starting' weight... then I'll really feel like I'm back on track.

I think this was a good lesson, slip-ups are going to happen and I need to really make that shift with my thinking and know that just because the scale goes up doesn't mean it's permanent. It's all about moving forward and not getting discouraged.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    willywonka wrote: »
    p.s. I guarantee you, you'll see that you didn't gain ten lbs at all... it's water weight- but it is such a mental thing, i hate the scale some days.

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing. You'll see that it wasn't actually a 10 lbs gain, it'll come off quick once you'r back at it.