I have hypothyroidism

Options
Every morning I have to drink this tiny pill due to having hypothyroidism it sucks because the pill is suppose to help me maintain a healthy weight yet again I still weight 92 pounds and I'm 5'4. I hate it when people goes do you eat? Are you anorexic? I eat boy do I eat I just don't GAIN WEIGHT!!!!! Anyone else with this problem??? HELP PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

Replies

• tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have hypothyroidism too! Take a pill, an underweight!
  • carriondaisy89
    carriondaisy89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Isn't it supposed to be helping? I don't think it does. Have you seen any changes in your weight? I havent. :(
  • fulltimelife
    fulltimelife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You can't *gain* weight? Sounds like hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid)? I have hypothyroidism (under active thyroid) and tend to find a challenge in losing weight, or keeping it off. I too take a pill. Maybe we can swap pills? LOL.

Joking aside, the problems with an over or under active thyroid won't be fixed with a pill, but it is necessary to take for likely forever. Weight doesn't necessarily stabilize as it is one aspect of the thyroid and there is so much more involved. It's complicated and a lot of trial and error involved with treatment and lifestyle.

High calorie, nutrient dense foods may be something to look into. Some research that unrefined coconut oil (and coconut flakes, coconut butter) are a very thyroid friendly food. @120 calories per tablespoon, adds up quick.

• iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you don't have hyperthyroidism? People with low thyroid function tend to gain excess weight and have a hard time losing weight. If you have high thyroid function you tend to lose weight and have a hard time keeping weight on/gaining weight.

You should see a doctor if you still have symptoms that aren't being controlled/alleviated with your medication.
  • carriondaisy89
    Options
    Lol @fulltimelife I meant to write hyperthyroidism (sorrryyyy) And thank you for your advice and coco doesn't sound bad I should give it a try :)
  • carriondaisy89
    Options
    @iwantmydenimback I was thinking the same thing I only take 25mg maybe he should either raise the dose or new prescription. Hopefully that will help. :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Let's assume you are on the correct meds at the correct dose.

How much are you eating a day? Don't say "a lot". An amount in calories.

How accurately are you tracking? Food scales, etc

How consistently are you logging? Every meal, every day?

Only with good data can you make good decisions about what to do next. You need to find whatever you are eating now in accurate numbers and add 500 cals/day to it. Log it all accurately and stick to it religiously for 2 weeks. Weigh yourself. Have you gained? Yes. Keep going for two more weeks and weigh again. No? Add 250 more cals/day and repeat. Rinse/repeat ad infinitum until you are at the weight you want to be.

It sounds so simple when typed out like that, but simple isn't easy. SImple means straight-forward, but it will also require dedication, hard work, consistency and patience. Be honest with yourself and put in an honest hard effort. Results will flow from this mindset. Don't fall into a victim mindset that because you have problem A, you can't achieve result B.

• carriondaisy89
    Options
    I get where your going their @jimmmer. Thank you and I'll try my best to add on more to what I eat and keep track of it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What is your TSH level? Ideally this should be in the range of 0.3-3.0.

What are your goals besides gaining weight? Are you looking to tone muscle, build muscle, build endurance?
  • carriondaisy89
    Options
    Hi @CSARdiver my tsh level I honestly don't know at the moment sorry but pther then gaining weight I would definitely love to build muscles as well.