Rice on database, Dried or Cooked weight??

Options
KJ7777
KJ7777 Posts: 47 Member
Hi all,

Might sound like a stupid question but does anyone know if the rice calories is for the dried weight or cooked? it doesnt say so i thought it would mean dried.

Thanks

Replies

• jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    Is there any way you can check the packet of your rice and see what it matches up to? That's what I try and do with rice and pasta, just so I don't get confused!
  • StevenCabral
    StevenCabral Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's for cooked. If you are eating steamed rice then do a search for STEAMED RICE, or FRIED RICE, it's all in there :-)
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    The one I use off of the databse says 1/4 cup. When it is 1/4 I am pretty sure they are referring to dry rice. 1/4 cup cooks up to about 1 cup. On my bag of rice it says that a serving is 1/4 cup of rice, dry. That is how I do it when I cook for my husband, son, and myself. I make three servings, using 3/4 cup of rice. It cooks up to 3 cups of rice. I hope this helps.
  • infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I assume you're looking at the MFP database entries. Some are recorded as dry/uncooked and others are cooked. Many of the entries specify cooked vs. dry.

In any event, it is more accurate to use the dry weight (or volume), assuming you know it, because when rice is cooked, it expands significantly because of the water or other liquids used to cook it. Same goes for pasta.

Having said that, sometimes you can't determine the weight/volume of the uncooked rice. For example, you're out to dinner and you *think* you have about 1/2 C cooked rice on your plate. But how much of that is rice, and how much of it is water (or other cooking liquid)? Your guess is as good as mine as to the calories.

But, calories (and nutrition) vary between harvests, batches, etc., so it will only be an approximation regardless of the measurement method.