How do people run without water?

Options
I see a lot of people here in NYC running without water. I always just think "How???". I always carry a bottle with me and I wonder why I see very few others with bottles too.

How does this happen?

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I think the same when I see it.
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I run without water. I can run at least 10km without needing a water break unless it's super, super hot out. But I also know where there are public water fountains if I do need water. I know some people who will do their long runs in loops around their cars or houses where they stop for water.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Why carry water for a short run?
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't run with water. I see a lot of people doing Bikram yoga with water and I can't see how they do that. If I drank water in the middle of bikram yoga I'd want to throw up. I hydrate before & after exercising only.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you are properly hydrated, you shouldn't need water for a run less than 10 miles.
  • DylanThomas2
    DylanThomas2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I dont carry water with me all the time when I go running at the park by my house but I do make regular stops at the water fountain its Atlanta and really any exercise without water is just insane.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've got nowhere to carry water...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a horse. A 6 mile run last weekend made me lose 3 pounds in water weight. I think I'm going to start carrying water more often, particularly as it warms up.
  • doodle823
    doodle823 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At a mile track i would only drink a few sips of water at the end every mile, this is when i would take a small break. The more you drink on a run, the thirstier you feel. And you are more likely to get a cramp.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I drink after. If I drink shortly before or during a run, I get side stitches.
  • 19amandac
    19amandac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I run without water but only because i drink a gallon a day im not as thirsty during the run only after do i make myself drink
  • 19amandac
    19amandac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    plus running while drinking water will make me feel bloated and heavy i hate carrying that bottle around lol
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot too, but rarely carry water. I start to think about carrying water for runs > 18km. As others have said, if you are hydrated, you can forgo carrying it. This might take some getting used to if you normally slurp the entire way, but it certainly is something most people can adapt to.

If I did carry water on shorter runs I'd probably be squirting it on my back or shoes instead of in my mouth. Hate, hate, hate having sloshy stomach!
  • KeepRunning27
    KeepRunning27 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I always run without water and that's all I want while I run!
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Carrying water throws off my running form. For short runs I just make sure to hydrate before. For longer runs I plan to loop back to my house or near public water fountains.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people here in NYC running without water. I always just think "How???". I always carry a bottle with me and I wonder why I see very few others with bottles too.

How does this happen?

Adaptation, you get used to it and you learn to properly hydrate in general.

I used to carry 500ml for a 5K session, now I'll do 10miles without.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I make sure I'm well hydrated before my run and drink as soon as it's over, but if I try to drink while running or immediately before hand I get stomach cramps and have to slow down. Also too much water before a run makes me need to pee which is not ideal.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you can't get through a 30-60min run without water then it points to your hydration not being on point.

Use it as a cue to address what you're doing the other 23 hours of the day.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I always run with a bottle of water, it makes no difference for me how much i've had throughout the rest of the day leading up it (I run in the evenings), I still need water while running, that's just how my body works.