I was doing so well...

Options
Any advice on ways to break an “off the wagon” cycle before you ruin all your progress?

I was doing so well… At the end of April I joined MFP and set a goal to lose 15lbs in 14weeks (aka - before my high school reunion in July). I was super proud that I had been weighing at, or below, my initial goal weight for a week - success! Now, it seems like all hell has broken loose and I am struggling to get back on track. It started with a party that I hosted on Saturday which left a stockpile of crap food that I don’t normally keep in the house. I’ve eaten or thrown it all away now, but the scale is creeping up day by day. I’ve only had 4 days of less than ideal eating/exercising, but I’m scared that I am starting a cycle that will ruin all my progress! Seriously - fast food two days in a row - what the heck!?! Is my subconscious telling me that I’ve “hit my goal” so I don’t have to try anymore? I’m feeling super discouraged about it today…

Any advice on how to get back on track would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I try not to dwell on the screw-up. Forgive yourself and move on. I try to make one good decision, that usually helps to reset me. A good workout or a healthy meal makes me want to make more good choices.

13y0h46jz1mp.gif

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Simple. Decide to start doing what you know you should be doing. And then do it. That how. You just have to make up your mind to do it. Motivation, drive, determination and sheer stubbornness all come from inside of you. Time to make up your mind that you are better than this, you are worth it and you deserve it.

And the pleasure you get from being successful will be far greater than the pleasure you get from eating that extra 400 calories of food that you didn't need.

You can't change what is done so stop beating yourself up over it and resolve to do better going forward.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There's honestly nothing wrong with eating fast food every day as long as you're staying under your calorie goal. All fast food isn't created equal, anyway. Beating yourself up won't fix the problem, right? You've already reached your goal once, you know what you need to do to get back there. You already have the motivation to accomplish your goal. Forgive yourself, move on and do what you need to do to get back on track.
  • Northernlight03
    Northernlight03 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I totally know where you are coming from...I have lost 2st and now fallen of the wagon and Its now on the m6 miles away lol I can't seem to catch it. But the first step is the hardest and the best because it can only get better :)
  • HealthyHappy619
    HealthyHappy619 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Any advice on ways to break an “off the wagon” cycle before you ruin all your progress?

I was doing so well… At the end of April I joined MFP and set a goal to lose 15lbs in 14weeks (aka - before my high school reunion in July). I was super proud that I had been weighing at, or below, my initial goal weight for a week - success! Now, it seems like all hell has broken loose and I am struggling to get back on track. It started with a party that I hosted on Saturday which left a stockpile of crap food that I don’t normally keep in the house. I’ve eaten or thrown it all away now, but the scale is creeping up day by day. I’ve only had 4 days of less than ideal eating/exercising, but I’m scared that I am starting a cycle that will ruin all my progress! Seriously - fast food two days in a row - what the heck!?! Is my subconscious telling me that I’ve “hit my goal” so I don’t have to try anymore? I’m feeling super discouraged about it today…

Hey there. I know everyone says this but don't get down on yourself. You know you made some poor choices and you acknowledged them, now move on. Don't keep beating yourself up for a bit of a gain. This is life. There is no finish line here. I started at 185 bs 4 years ago here on MFP and got to my goal weight. But maintaining that weight loss is as difficult if not more than losing the weight itself.

You have already done this before, so you are one step ahead of those who haven't begun their journey yet. Use what you've learned during this set back, and identify your triggers. Once you have set your mind to change- you will do it. Don't give yourself any more choices and don't use any more excuses. You just have to do it (jesus I sound like a Nike commercial) but you get what I mean. I'm here for support so feel free to add me!! In the same boat as you.

Have a better day tomorrow. It only can get better :)
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Saw this on MFP - One step forward two steps back isn't a problem it's the Cha Cha (dance) Smile & love yourself you are human B)
  • HealthyHappy619
    HealthyHappy619 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I'm feeling much better today; went to the gym this am, packed a healthy lunch, and plan to stick to my calorie goals today. You guys are awesome!