Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Options
Hey - Are there any others out there with Hashimoto's thyroiditis? I've been doing a lot of research lately about foods to eat and foods to avoid and I am very frustrated to find that things I've been loading up on (broccoli, spinach, coffee) work very hard AGAINST your thyroid. It also leads me to wonder if this feeling of less-puffiness is actually due to cutting coffee for almost a week.... I'd be very upset to think I had to give it up forever, though! (Or even think of it as a once a week treat type thing). Tips? Comments?

Replies

• KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm leery of the literature out there on things to/not to eat for thyroid issues. I had graves disease until 1998 when I had a partial thyroidectomy (I'm now hypothyroid, on synthroid). My endocrinologists have never told me to avoid particular foods. However, giving up coffee (or at least weening yourself off - maybe trying green tea here and there instead?) is not a bad idea at all :) You'll eventually find you don't need it (most of the time lol).
  • gesikale
    gesikale Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with low thryoid 2 yrs ago. Went to and endocrinologist 4 weeks ago and she diagnosed me with autoimmune thyroid disease after doing and an ultrasound and going over my history. Go back next week and will ask her. I have read that walnuts interfere with the asorbtion of synthroid. So if you are taking synthroid that is something to be aware of.
  • Lindy222
    Lindy222 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hey Sitting Duck - cant help with the Thyroiditis - I thought that was an accute thing ? I am Hypo - and take Thyroxine - and after a few ups and downs are fairly stable and happy.

I am not hugely overweight but have to eat fairly carefully - and am still trying to get rid of the extra weight I managed to collect in the US earlier this year - twas the cookies and the burgers ! I think it is also fairly accepted that us hypos put weight on very very easily and it is more difficult for us to lose it again.

In fact, I read about this site on Thyroid-Disease.org.uk - which is an absolutely brilliant site - I would recommend you have a read around there - all your questions will be answered - and they are a lovely bunch - in fact - there is a thread running now about the "Big Fat Diet" - or something like that and everyone is sharing and encouraging.

Happy to share more if you like - Lindy
  • judogrrl
    judogrrl Posts: 6
    Options
    I am sub clinical with thyroiditis and my sister is also low thyroid. From what I understand, these foods interfere with the absorbtion of the synthetic thyroid hormone. You can still have them - just wait until an hour or so after medication.