Need answer, can anyone help?

Options
Alright the last three weeks I lost 6lbs, this week I think I've gained about 2lbs back. I've been following my diet, if anything I haven't been eating enough maybe. I've been working out fairly hard, been packing 60lb pack four times a week four miles each time. Plus been doing some calisthenics on the side. I would think I would atleast maintain what I've lost and not gain weight? I've even been drinking my water. What's up? Seems like the hard work is for nothing.

Replies

• wkoon76
    wkoon76 Posts: 22
    Options
    Alright the last three weeks I lost 6lbs, this week I think I've gained about 2lbs back. I've been following my diet, if anything I haven't been eating enough maybe. I've been working out fairly hard, been packing 60lb pack four times a week four miles each time. Plus been doing some calisthenics on the side. I would think I would atleast maintain what I've lost and not gain weight? I've even been drinking my water. What's up? Seems like the hard work is for nothing.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Again, this is the brick and pudding story.
    Take one brick and put it on a scale.
    Now take pudding and start filling a vat untill you reach the same weight as the brick.
    THAT will be a LOT of pudding.
    Now think about the goo that is the pudding and the hard cut lines of the brick.
    You are in effect getting rid of fat. (Pudding) and adding muscle (Brick)
    This means that your scale is not going to go down as fast as you want, but you are going to start to see in your face and clothes that you put on a big difference.
    :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • rhondababy
    Options
    Another thing to consider is that when you initially seriously increase your work outs your body retains some water in those damaged muscles. So, be sure to get your calories in (in a healthy way), drink plenty of water, and keep going!!!!
  • hehawwolfley
    Options
    If you are working out...Lifting weights?... you are probally gaining muscle. For men that is pretty typical. Muscle is good...(for men :) Not so attractive for women! If you want to lose POUNDS , I would do more cardio. Make sure that you get your heart rate up to at least 130-160. I actually had the same experience....I dropped some weight, but then I was stuck. I lose dident anything at all. I just found out that I am insulin resistant. It really sucks when you are working so hard and are not getting the rewards for it! Keep it up. And remember women like muscle.....good luck to you!
    Heather
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Everyone's answers back are right on. The only other thing you may want to do is to get away from eating three times a day and moving it into 6 eating periods. Take something from each meal and move it into a time between the other meals. For example I usually have a bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit after my work out in the morning. Now I take the fruit and move it to a late morning snack. I do a similar thing for the other two meals.

In effect this keeps my body working internally to process constantly and it's been having a noticeable effect to date. I would also suggest that you DO NOT eat to your exercise calorie level. For me my daily intake should be 1570 without exercising but with the exercising I'm allowed nearly 500 more calories. I'm not finding myself hungry because I'm not eating to the higher number and I believe that too has had a noticeable impact on my weight loss.

Good Luck and thank you very much for serving your country!