I just lose it!

Options
I go so well for a few days or a week...logging my calories, exercise..then I get to a point where I just lose it! I go crazy for a day or two on everything and anything ruining all my "good work". I'm an international flight attendant so sleep deprivation is a keyword for me.
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for staying on track in moments of weakness?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I never let myself get too hungry, which considerably reduces moments of weakness. Upping protein and fiber, and decreasing carbs has pretty much eliminated sugar cravings. I also have treats in moderation, and I don't feel deprived.

Do you take melatonin? I've heard it's especially helpful for people like you who frequently need to reset their circadian rhythms. The sublingual type works best for me.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    1st thing I'd do is look at how many calories you have calculated that you can eat in a day. If you're deficit is too high it can lead to that feeling of deprivation and that you "deserve a treat".

I reduced my goal from 1 to 0.5 lb a week when I was feeling hungry and having trouble sticking to 1200. I don't go below 1560 and usually have more as I work out most days.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's really tough when you're in a job like yours OP. I've found packing my cooler for the day works for me so I have all my meals for the day ready for me when I get chance to eat. Planning is the key for me to staying on track. Even when I travel I pack certain foods as staples so I'm never without something.

Sleep deprivation is a huge trigger. I liked kshama2001's idea of melatonin if getting to sleep due to a messed up body clock is an issue.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have an appropriate calorie goal. I find if I restrict too much I begin to see red and then go overboard a few days later.
  • rosierbud
    rosierbud Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You're right...I think my calories are too low. I'm on 1200. I prepare all my meals and freeze them into the right portions. I don't allow for treats so feel deprived after a while. Or if I go over my calories. ..even if it's with some fruit I feel like I've blown it. I take melatonin. ...on long flights I crave sugar so much! I usually give in then. I think going by your suggestions I need to allow for some treats now and again and work it in.
    Thank you!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I dont restrict too much because i end up feeling that way and then blow all my hard work. I schedule in treats in moderation and never eat under 1500 calories. If my calories are too low, i end up going nuts and consuming everything in sight. Its about moderation not deprivation.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Its about moderation not deprivation.

<nods>

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    It is tough. I try to do my best to be aware of what I am doing at these moments. Awareness is key. Also consider eating a little bit more on days that you we working a lot or even training and cutting back on the days your not moving around. I find that has helped my urges to binge. Remember that what counts is at the end of the month. If you have a few days off, it is ok. Make the those other days count even better.
  • lynnech614
    lynnech614 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I compete with myself which can be good and bad, when I first started I have myself 1000 calories per day...too low even with exercise for beginning I have since upped myself to 1500 and will eventually bring it to 1200...but you have to be fair to yourself and start with a higher calorie in take and work on bringing it down...at least your still trying keep it up and you have friends here to help
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to keep to an unrealistic weight because of your job or are you actually fat and need to lose?

I used to have a neighbor who was a flight attendant. They had weigh-ins and were held to ridiculously low weights and abused if they weren't too thin. But now I see fat flight attendants, so I don't know if that has ended.

If you're doing this to be too skinny and your body is revolting because it needs food, eat!

If you're honestly fat and caving in because you like treats, I don't know...make up your mind about what you want - treats or weight loss - and then have it and enjoy having it. :)
  • rosierbud
    Options
    I don't class myself as "fat"...I work for a very strict airline so would be pulled up if I was way overweight. I would be more comfortable 5-8 kilos lighter though. I'm not super skinny either.

I've upped my calories to 1500 now. I did a flight today to Europe and didn't have any cravings (and was super tired) so I think the suggestions of going higher on calories has helped :) Also realising that it's what counts at the end of the month. ..not each week.

Thank you everyone :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have a similar thing (really well behaved during the week, but lose it at the weekends). I found one thing that helped me was calculating my calories over the week than day-by-day. So, i would 'bank them up' for the weekend, so i knew how many i could safely go over (as i will always go over!). It has definitely helped.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Does it tend to be certain days you binge? Try pre planning your meals and snacks the might before. It helps.
  • rosierbud
    Options
    I tend to binge when I'm tired. At home I'm fine...it's at work once the busy period is over and there's not a lot to do. Everyone just sits and talks and eats. I can sometimes fight it and just go for a walk around...but I find I'm at my weakest when I'm tired/jet lagged and am offered all sorts of treats. .. I've taken dark chocolate with me before but end up eating that and more.