Under eating

Options
I find myself not eating enough calories in the day. My doctor told me if I don't eat enough than I won't find myself losing any weight. Any tips on how I can manage this or what type a foods I should be eating in a corse of a day so this does not happen? I'm not a big meat eater...

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • megsdance712
    megsdance712 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Is this under-eating phenomenon a recent thing? It isn't healthy to under-eat, but your doctor is wrong. Under-eating doesn't prevent weight loss.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You could've asked him what he meant. I know people get nervous sometimes in the office, but if you don't get it, you ask and he explains. That's his job! :)

You can always call the office and ask for a referral to a dietitian.

• ranger1837
    ranger1837 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The folks on Naked and Afraid under-eat and they lose weight just fine. haha
  • liftlovelunge
    liftlovelunge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd like to challenge your doctor and say that you will absolutely lose weight if you're "under eating" or eating too few calories for your height/activity level. it's an unhealthy approach to weight loss, but you'd still lose weight.

I'd ask your doctor for clarification on his/her recommendation.
  • jhicks8705
    jhicks8705 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Her doctor is right. If you under eat it can prevent weight loss. Because your body will go into survival mode and will immediately turn whatever food you do eat into fat to store because it knows it will be a long time before it gets any more. Which is why people who skip meals actually begin to lose weight when they start eating regularly.

Sorry I don't have any tips to help you. I'm actually struggling with under eating myself. Some days I've found that I have almost 800 calories left that I can eat. I know its not healthy but I'm trying to do better.
  • Lee53054494
    Lee53054494 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you under eat it can prevent weight loss. Because your body will go into survival mode and will immediately turn whatever food you do eat into fat to store because it knows it will be a long time before it gets any more.

-Nope.