Scared to start

Options
Hey all!
So, I put on about 90 lbs over the last few years and I am just feeling like garbage about myself.
I have been putting off and putting off and putting off eating better and really dedicating myself because I just can't comprehend how I will be able to take this weight off and how I will be able to stick to the food restrictions (I need restrictions, can't do the cheat day thing) and working out. I have trouble looking week to week and not the nerves of the end result. I just keep eating the garbage because I can't imagine sticking to anything and making it last. Am I the only one?
I used to be a trip-athlete with a great diet and now I can't seem to grasp it.
Any thoughts, advice, words of encouragement would be so appreciated.
Thanks all!
xx

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is start.

Start here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

You can make small changes. Why don't you just start by logging all of your food? Log everything that you'd eat on a normal day to get an idea of how much you're actually eating. Then gradually cut down to a deficit.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    That was excellent advice. And don't by what you think you need to do because that hasn't worked in the past. Accept that maybe you don't know what you need yet. Small, sustainable changes are the way to go without thinking that you have to do some drastic, misery-making plan.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of looking at it as adding things instead of subtracting. Add water for a week or two, then add veggies every day, then fruit, whole grains. Add these things in little by little and soon enough you'll have a healthy diet without too much work. :)

I did it cold turkey and it sucked. If I hadn't had Fear Of Death hanging over my head, I don't think I'd have made it.

Good luck with whatever approach you take!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You'll start when you're ready to start. Not worth bearing yourself up about it if you're not.
    Good luck!

:drinker:
  • 115Everest
    115Everest Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. It sounds like you're putting all kinds of pressure on yourself to do everything at once. You can start with diet, for example, and then focus on exercise more down the road. It is overwhelming if you look at the whole "project" but if you take the "one day at a time" or even "one hour at a time" view, it really helps you gain control. And you can change your way of thinking about it too. If you can view this whole thing as a hobby, it becomes enjoyable in a way to track food intake and exercise calories and see the progress of the weight loss and the benefits of better health. Good luck! You can definitely do it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I definitely like looking at this as a hobby. It has become one of my hobbies: to read labels, think up new and interesting things to eat, find new, fun ways to move more, to interact on the boards and develop new relationships, both virtual and face-to-face.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I definitely like looking at this as a hobby. It has become one of my hobbies: to read labels, think up new and interesting things to eat, find new, fun ways to move more, to interact on the boards and develop new relationships, both virtual and face-to-face.

That is such a good way to look at it! Thanks for giving me something to think about. :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Me too! I really enjoy counting calories. I like trying to see what I can fit into my day in the way of treats. Would I rather have wine or ice cream? Maybe I can have both? Let's see what I can tweak to make that happen.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

This, I like!!

OP -

Perhaps what would be worth trying is breaking this up into several small changes, rather then just diving in.

Like someone else mentioned, start with logging what you eat right now. That will give you the chance to practice using the database and give you an idea for how much you're currently eating.

From there, take a look at what you eat and see where changes could/should be made. You don't have to live on salads or shakes or anything you don't like! You can make small changes like cutting back on the amount of oil you use for cooking or the amount of dressing on your salad. A little bit can go a long way!

If you want to exercise and aren't right now, go for something easy - like dedicating 15 minutes each day to walk around your neighborhood. Stick with that for a while, then add more time and/or more walks or other activities.

I started with cutting way back on the number of times I went out for food, allowing myself 2 meals each week. This was mostly to save money since eating out can be pricey! I worked in other changes over the last 5 months and it's been a lot of fun :)

Try to focus on those smaller changes that can be easier to make. They'll all build up for the big picture over time.

~Lyssa
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this :)
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I like the idea of looking at it as adding things instead of subtracting. Add water for a week or two, then add veggies every day, then fruit, whole grains. Add these things in little by little and soon enough you'll have a healthy diet without too much work. :)

This is a great way of looking at it :) If you can get excited about new foods, or a new way of cooking, that can be more motivating than feeling like you have to cut stuff out. Maybe get a cookbook, with pretty pictures and tasty sounding marinades?

Do you think you'd get into the swing of things more easily if you started with the fitness side? I started with working out, and then I looked at the food later. Even though it was a little tough in the beginning, I at least got something out of it - more oxygen, for one thing :) and the feeling that I was a teensy bit bad-as$ :) I started with Jillian Michaels DVDs (and don't care who knows it :) ) I responded to her style or whatever, found it encouraging. It's been a while now, but I don't think I made it through the whole DVD until like the fourth try. Being fed up with myself helped me push through the initial pain, though. Once I got past that and started feeling strong and just better - more alert, calmer, more focused - I was in a better place to look at the food side. And I wanted to eat better at that point, because it felt better.

Best of luck :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Oooh, I like that!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just start with a day, try it out, see how it goes.....add the next. What have you got to lose? OH wait! Yes! Those pounds-go get it!
  • katyconn123
    katyconn123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you, was so scared to commit, to losing weight, but I just did it a day at a time , small changes over time make a difference, I've been on mfp since end of Feb and I have now lost 1stone 1lb, I never thought I'd be able to do it , pls start today with small changes and logging daily and you will start to feel the benefits of it good luck on your journey, add me if you want for support
  • fitjourneyjdb
    fitjourneyjdb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You guys are all amazing! Thanks so much for all the advice and support <3