Do you feel like you're fit?

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
When I started last June I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was horribly unfit. I would avoid certain routes to the shops so I didn't have to walk on a slight gradient, I would get out of breath easily and generally lazed around a lot .. a whole lot

I am now in a different place .. I walk a lot, I workout, hard, 3 times a week .. once a week with a trainer .. and I know I've progressed hugely in terms of stamina and strength and can do stuff I would never have dreamed possible.

But I'm not sure if I see myself as fit yet, partly because a PTs job is to continue to push you so each session I feel like I'm on the edge of 'I just can't do this' at some point. When asked my PT says I'm fit and he's pushing me hard, but we have a weird old jokey relationship so it's always couched in some kind of funny insult or sarcasm :grin: ... but I still wonder, am I now fit? I know it's a personal scale.

What is it that tells you you're fit?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Compared to the 'average' person, yes I am fit... compared to people on here, nooooooooooooooooo!!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Compared to the 'average' person, yes I am fit... compared to people on here, nooooooooooooooooo!!!!

how do you judge it?
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Compared to the small pool of people I know, I'm definitely one of the fitter ones. However I still feel unfit compared to my 3.5 hour marathon-running friend, and my brother's girlfriend who is a spinning teacher. It's relative I think.

I am definitely 100x fitter than I was 5 years ago (and I can see a vast improvement from even 18 months ago), which is the important thing to me.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ha yes, as TavistockToad says it really is all relative. I consider myself quite fit compared to my co-workers and friends, but compared to people at my gym? Nowhere near.
    What tells me that I am fit, personally? Being able to go further, longer, harder on both workouts and day-to-day tasks that I could have ever considered before. Everything is easier to do because my body is better equipped.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

how do you judge it?

well the average person I know does little to no exercise, so I automatically win by working out 3-5 times a week!
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Actually I think it's the little things that make me realize how much fitter I am than I used to be, and indeed compared to the people around me. For example my daughter weighs 27kg and I can easily scoop her up in my arms and run a fair distance if the mood takes me - sure as hell my partner couldn't do that, or many other parents I am friends with. I can run up flights of stairs without getting winded. Physical jobs at home are much easier.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Totally this. There was a thread the other day which started with the question "do any reasonably fit people go out to restaurants and splurge on the regular or is it always reigned in by needing to keep fitness goals in mind?" Now that thread ended up being a train wreck because of the OP, but when I first read the question I thought, "ok, I can answer this, I'm reasonably fit, I'm at a healthy weight and BMI, I work out 5-6 days a week, I average 14K steps a day and can walk up stairs without getting winded, etc". Then when it progressed I realized they were talking about people with sub 15% body fat as the benchmark for "fit" and I left questioning my own definitions....

So I would agree, IRL I'm reasonably fit. In MFP world, I've got a long way to go...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    heck yes lol, I do 20000+ average steps a day, half of them are ran....I think that qualifies me as being fit and I feel fan-bloomin-tastic :smiley:

(before my fitness journey began 3 yrs ago it bothered me to walk a couple of miles!)
  • deviiv
    deviiv Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't like the question because the usual answer is to compare yourself to others when we know that's almost never good for anything.

In my tennis club, I am fit. In my crossfit box, I am near the bottom of the scaled group.

How does this give anybody an answer? Compare yourself to yourself yesterday. You are fitter than yesterday, last week, last year. It doesn't mean you stop, fit isn't the destination. Like being healthy isn't the destination.

We continue on and keep working to be able to do more than we did yesterday. If you are fitter than yesterday, that's awesome.
  • seiffertrk
    seiffertrk Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The only thing I could think of to get an absolute (as opposed to relative to yourself or others) assessment was some kind of fitness test you could do. I did a web search and found a few, here is one example: sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1112.

For my own personal opinion, I've read a lot of your posts. I find it unlikely that someone that knows as much as you, is as passionate about it as you, and looks as fit as you do in your profile picture could be anything but fit. But that's just me :-)
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm fit but I'm always striving to be the best me I can possibly be.

Fitter, better, faster, stronger #alwaysmovingforward
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What toad said, im pleased with where I am, but still working on it. Im a lot fitter, but i dont know where I want to set the bar. Is fitter than most people in your gym really fit? For weights then I know I have a whole series of cut and bulk in front of me to build myscle if thats the way i wnat to go.

My target has always been to get in the groups which are less at risk from medical complications.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I think that my aerobic fitness is pretty good, but muscle tone and strength way down due to an injury. Still, I was surprised how much fitter I am than most women my age.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Considering that 2 years ago I could not run 1/8 of a mile without thinking I was going to die, and now a 10+ mile run doesn't phase me at all, yes I would say I am fit, for me anyway. Definitely fitter than most of those that I work with and most of the other late 50's group that I know. I think icck hit it out of the park: "Being able to go further, longer, harder on both workouts and day-to-day tasks than I could have ever considered before. Everything is easier to do because my body is better equipped."
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    By my own standards I don't consider myself fit. When I reach my fitness goals then I will say I'm fit!!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    This is a great question and a great topic rabbit! Thanks for posting.
    It's a hard question to answer because I don't think any of us truly see ourselves as others do.
    If I compare my fitness now to where I started? Then yes... I am fit.
    When I look in the mirror do I see a fit person? Mostly no... I mean, I see the good but I also see the flaws.
    If I base my fitness on simple numbers then yeah, I am considered athlete level with all of my stats.
    If I base my fitness on how I generally feel? Yes and no... I'm human, just like everyone else. As you mentioned I can do things physically I never imagined I could and I'm not afraid to try anything! But I still get tired, hungry, sore, cranky, etc. just like everyone else.
    My workouts are highly intense and I burn well over 1500 a day in exercise alone (not about weight loss).
    In my "fitness" mind, I am always in training in everything I do, always looking for the next challenge.
    If I base my fitness level on what people tell me and/or how they percieve me? Well... I'd have to say yeah I'm fit.

So I guess my answer to the question is... I don't know LOL!

But I do know this: It will never be enough for me. In my mind there is no specific level of fitness high enough for me to stop.

I am happy, but will never be satisfied :smile:
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I consider myself fit. I can do a 20 mile run first thing in the morning and then after a shower and a cup of coffee spend the whole day playing and chasing my 4 y/o daughter around.
    If I was comparing myself to a heavy lifter, then no I can't lift what they can at the moment but that doesn't mean I'm not fit. We are "fit" for the sports that we currently take part in.
  • burnsjulia
    burnsjulia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'd say there's not a standard definition of "fit." I'm sure there's some label somewhere if you can do X pushups, run X miles at X age... but I don't buy it. It's a very personal thing.

To some extent I think your trainer is right - what more can you do? What's your next level? My tae kwon do teacher is an amazing fighter - fast, strong, can jump way high - and he's an awful runner. So is he "fit?" Absolutely. Can the middle-age moms who run regularly and chat through his interval training classes run faster and farther? Absolutely.

In college, I used to swim laps. I've always been, always will be, a bad swimmer. Because I could swim during the day, I swam with a bunch of little old ladies some of whom could barely walk -- but they sure could swim circles around me.

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at 21. So even for myself, there are days when my capability level is really different. I feel like I need to push as hard as I can - so the bar gets set really low some days and pretty high on other days. And that's OK.

So am I fit? Yes. I think we (Rabbit and I) are similar (48, mothers, etc.) I can do more pushups than I've ever been able to do. My clothes all fit better. I exercise regularly and at a challenging level (though sometimes I could use more challenge). I eat mostly healthy food in some balance - with a little junk thrown in for mental health. :smile:

As I think about aging, my balance is good. My core strength is good. My general strength is good. My cardio is so-so. My weight is good. My general habits (eating & exercise) are good. Can I be better? Of course. But for me, I guess this is my definition of fit.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I can dance for hours every week if I want. Some weeks I've danced 20+. Now, I can run a 5k. I average 17k steps per day. I think my general fitness is good. I am not particularly strong, though. I'm working on that.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If I compare myself to my immediate family and cousisn I am sure they cannot figure out how I have no medical issues like they do. Maybe because I have been exercising for years and years longer than some of them.