5k challenge

Options
I have been challenged to run a 5k with a friend (he is in a lot better shape than I am and often runs 10k/half marathons) I probably haven't run that far in around 10 years when I first injured my knee.

I was keen to give it a go so this morning at the gym I put the feeler out to see if I could do the distance. With a combination of walking and running, I got to 5k in around 37 minutes. Can anyone give me an indication of where this stands in terms of a first run (I'm 25 years old if that has any baring on the answers)

Replies

• MattHarwoodUK
    MattHarwoodUK Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Harry, that is an excellent starting point! Many of the 5K training programmes (couch to 5K, etc) have a goal of getting you to run 5k in under 30 minutes, so looking at your time, you should get there very quickly. Try using a C25K app if you would like a structured way to do it.

Nice one!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Nice start Harry. I can break the 30 minute mark on a treadmill but running out on the street is another story all together....maybe on a really, really flat course, maybe. Being challenged to run a 5K and being challenged to race against your runner friend are two different issues all together. I don't think you will have any problem running the 5K and should plan to do so to have a great time! A buddy of mine and our families run the same 5K every spring, he is much faster than me but we run it together at my slower pace and have a fantastic time. When his special needs daughter chooses to run it we run at her pace - makes your heart feel great when you see the smile on her face when we all cross the finish line right behind her! Enjoy.
  • harryrarabrown
    harryrarabrown Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks Matt. I have looked at that app (and tried using it once or twice) but never seemed to persist with it. Not sure why. Think I will give it a good go and hopefully be able to get to 30 mins so I can at least keep up with him for some of the way
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how it compares to others. The world record is about 12:37 (track) and 12:59 (road). Therefore pretty much the fastest of us here are still way slow in comparison to the WR. My PR at the 5k is 18:17 and even that is "slow" compared to a typical high school cross country kid. Many of them can typically get into the 16s.

That said, it is best to set intermediate goals for yourself. 37 minutes is a great start. Next time try for 35. Then work down to 30, 25, even 20 (assuming you like running enough to try to get that fast). The point being, don't worry about where you start or how you compare. The real goal here is improvement for your own sake, which is something any of us can do.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I ran my first 5K my goal was to beat 40 minutes (which I did, barely) I think what's more important is what you decide you want to do moving forward in respect to running.

If you find running the race an enjoyable experience and decide to incorporate running into your fitness program you will probably find that your times improve fairly quickly if you're consistent with your running. Once you've built a good base it's then entirely up to you if you want to go faster or longer (or a combination of the 2).

When I race I'm not too worried about how I finish in comparison to to others but whether or not I did better than the last time I ran the same race.

“Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts.” – Steve Prefontaine
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Don't worry about how it compares to others. The world record is about 12:37 (track) and 12:59 (road). Therefore pretty much the fastest of us here are still way slow in comparison to the WR. My PR at the 5k is 18:17 and even that is "slow" compared to a typical high school cross country kid. Many of them can typically get into the 16s.

That said, it is best to set intermediate goals for yourself. 37 minutes is a great start. Next time try for 35. Then work down to 30, 25, even 20 (assuming you like running enough to try to get that fast). The point being, don't worry about where you start or how you compare. The real goal here is improvement for your own sake, which is something any of us can do.

Pretty much this.

The vast majority of people are competing with one person: themselves.
  • harryrarabrown
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice!

I am a very competitive person and tend to compete with myself on most things so will continue that trend going forward. Not too sure if I'll reach 12 mins but I'll definitely better 37
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ask your friend what their 5k time is?
  • harryrarabrown
    Options
    Not sure what his 5k PB is but I know he has run a sub 40 mins 10k