Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Logging Calories at Events

Hey MFP friends!
I'm wondering, how do you log calories at social events, such as weddings, BBQs, grad parties, potlucks, etc?
I can't exactly being my measuring cups and food scale, but I have a "good enough" idea of weight and measurement now, but still. The composition of the food isn't something I want to guess at.
Do you not log those days?
Do you just do your best?
Spend more time at the gym?

Thanks!!

Replies

• Becky03026847
    Becky03026847 Posts: 34 Member
    I try to eat better or more strict with what I am going to eat for a couple of days before an event so I can spurge at the event. Then I got back to watching what I eat the next day. WE all need a cheat day.
  • l8knut
    l8knut Posts: 18 Member
    I just do your last 2 and over estimate slightly. I always log even if I'm way over just to be accountable. If you are over on a day, watch your next couple a little closer.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I will try to log it but I realize that it is not going to be accurate. If I know I am going to an event like that then I will usually have a smaller breakfast and lunch to give myself some extra calories. IF you know about said event ahead of time you can also "bank" like 50 extra calories a day…I do that for the weekends sometimes…

Also, sometimes you just need to go out, have fun, and not worry about logging or being accurate. Part of the lifestyles change is realizing that it is OK to have ocassional splurges and not fret over them.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    What everyone else said. I will also make it a point to eat something healthy before leaving so I feel less inclined to eat all the things. If I have some idea what I'll be eating there, I'll do my best to pre log it. For example, my sister's wedding, I had to choose a meal. I know there will be a dessert. So I will log what I can, overestimate it and do my best to adjust throughout the event.

But then, I have been at other events where logging is just not worth the trouble, where the whole day is made up of apps and 'zerts. I log what I can, overestimate it, realize it's not worth the trouble to keep going and enjoy my day and move on with my life. I'd rather be living it and enjoying it than freaking out over accurately logging my food.

Side note though... I wish buffets came with measuring cups or something. That would be great.
  • 115Everest
    115Everest Posts: 31 Member
    I always log the best I can (now on MFP, before in a notebook). It takes time, but it's worth it. What I do is order wisely if that's an option and then break everything down into its individual components. For example, I will log a salad as the amount of lettuce, the amount of cucumber, the amount of olives, the amount of feta, the amount of dressing, etc. Very very tedious for those days, but it keeps me on track and it's only once in a while. I try to overestimate calories alloted to each thing on those days, so if there's an error, I'm under what I logged rather than over.

If it is a restaurant I am going out to, I will browse the menu online first to see what I'm getting myself into, figure out what I'm going to have and start working on the breakdown in my head so when logging time comes, I have a head start.

Not necessary for everyone to do that, but I'm in a bit of a freakshow obsessive stage right now.