Old, but not dead yet

Options
jackgregg
jackgregg Posts: 12 Member
Just starting MFP with VA MOVE program, South Beach Diet which worked great for me before, and returning to daily exercise. It's either that or replace almost all my clothes except my socks. Wish me luck

Replies

• Dgangaware
    Dgangaware Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You don't need luck...you have DETERMINATION! You can do this!
  • jackgregg
    Options
    Ain't that the truth. Well, I have determination, tools, and experience. So just watch it go to work.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! You've come to the right place for support and experience. Good luck to ya!
  • jackgregg
    Options
    Thanks. How do you post activities like mowing the yard, sweeping and mopping, or vacuuming house, or gorcery shopping (UCK!)??
  • jackgregg
    Options
    Speaking of going to work, time to get Mom up and start the day Still unpacking etc. Today is hanging pictures day. Oh joy.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I think many of those activities are in the MFP database under cardio. you go to "add exercise", choose cardio and then search. I know mowing and housework are both in there. Not sure about grocery shopping.

Looking forward to following your journey!
  • jackgregg
    Options
    Thanks. The journey is always more interesting when we have other people in the household who want to binge watch stuff like Breaking Bad re-runs while wolfing down unnoticed quantities of junk food. Yes, I did it last night, before I started this. Bad, bad
  • Cavspider
    Cavspider Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The VA MOVE program sounds awesome. I am not a vet but I looked at the MOVE webpage and it has a lot of great info on it. I applaud your efforts to get started losing weight, but South Beach is a fad diet that is not really sustainable and my fear is that you will resort to bad habits after some weight loss and that is the problem with fad diets, they don't encourage real sustainable lifestyle changes. See this VA MOVE handout on fad diets. http://www.move.va.gov/docs/NewHandouts/Miscellaneous/M01_SkipTheFadDiet.pdf

I just started eating healthier and watching my salt because my brother took my blood pressure and it wasn't good. I will be 51 soon and thought I better do something or I will be on BP meds which I am trying to do without. I researched DASH which put out by the NIH. DASH stands for dietary approaches to stop hypertension.
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash/

This is not really a "diet" but an approach to eating well that reduces salt and increases potassium by just eating well. Coincidentally the program is also an approach to help alleviate most of bad things that happen as we age that are somewhat preventable by eating well, like heart disease, etc.

I strongly encourage you to ask your doc about both DASH and the South Beach Diet. My guess is most docs do not like fad diets either. Using the MFP app you can monitor how much you take in and how much you burn through exercise.

Personally, I started walking, a lot. I walk 4 miles every morning. I just started a circuit weight training program as well that I will do 3 times per week. By restricting my caloric intake and exercising I have lost 15 pounds in 4 1/2 weeks. My BP is already improved and I feel better.

I hope whatever you do results in true lifestyle changes that will last your lifetime. Good luck!
  • Cavspider
    Cavspider Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    See this MOVE handout that talks about eating plans and references DASH! http://www.move.va.gov/docs/NewHandouts/Miscellaneous/M11_DietaryPlanChoices.pdf
  • jackgregg
    Options
    Sorry but South Beach did work for me for almost 5 years. I lost weight and my numbers improved dramatically. It's not really a diet at all. But when I went to Texas for 30 months and ate everything barbequed, everythign went to pot (gut). And the climate there (heat, humidity and bugs 12 months a year) kept me prisoner indoors where I was used to active outdoor life in Wyoming. I'll ever do that again.

But, back to South Beach, you may want to do some more reading into the whole program. It is really so easy when you forget all the diet nonsense. That with normal daily activity are working already, but I'm rather active at 65.

But thanks though. I'll still check out info. Later

• jackgregg
    Options
    Never type and drive. Makes you sound like a moron
  • jackgregg
    Options
    Thanks. Keep in touch