Butternut squash

Options
Mawskittykat
Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
Does anyone have any good recipes for butternut squash? Just let me know please.

Replies

• NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    BUMP...
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love Butternut squash... I like it best just baked. I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and pulp. Lay it cut side down in a baking dish with about an inch of water and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Drain, cool slightly, scoop and eat :)
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    A recipe I got from a friend -- she said it makes about 3-4 meals for her and her fiance, so you could cut the recipe in half if needed. I haven't tried it yet, but am hoping to soon.

Butternut and Quinoa Soup

Prep 20 Minutes
    Cook 20 Minutes

2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    4 cups peeled, seeded, cubed butternut squash (1/2 small squash)
    1 can corn
    1 cup chopped red pepper
    1/2 cup Adams natural creamy peanut butter
    2 cups water
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. salt
    56 oz. vegetable broth (or chx)
    1 cup quinoa
    2 Tbsp. dried cilantro

1. Heat oil in dutch oven over medium heat.
    2. Add onions and cook slowly until soft and yellow.
    3. Stir in squash, corn, and red pepper. Cook 5 minutes more.
    4. Blend peanut butter, water, cumin, and salt in blender until combined. Add to vegetables dutch oven.
    5. Stir in broth and quinoa.
    6. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
    7. Remove from heat and mash soup with potato masher.
    8. Stir in cilantro, cover, and allow soup to thicken 10 minutes.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Butternut Soup

1 onion chopped
    1-2 carrots chopped
    1-2 medium diced potatoes
    2 cups cubed butternut squash, raw or roasted, see note below
    2 cloves garlic
    2 T. olive oil
    1 t. dried thyme
    1 t. dried oregano
    1/2 t. dried rosemary
    4 - 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
    Salt and fresh ground pepper

*I usually roast the butternut squash the night before, have some for dinner then make the soup the next day. To roast the squash, cut it in half or in chunks, take out the seeds. Put it in a roasting pan, drizzle with a little olive oil if you want. You can cover the pan with foil, or leave it uncovered. Roast at 400 for an hour.

Heat a large stock pot with the olive oil, add the chopped onions and carrots, cook for a few minutes over medium heat with the lid on the pot.
    Add the herbs, chicken stock, squash and potatoes. Cook over medium heat until the potatoes and squash are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

I let the soup simmer for an hour or so, then everything gets really soft and I can use the immersion blender for a smooth soup. It's also very good left chunky!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Sounds tasty! I love soup!
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I love Butternut squash... I like it best just baked. I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and pulp. Lay it cut side down in a baking dish with about an inch of water and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Drain, cool slightly, scoop and eat :)

^ This! Oh so good. For DH and DS's I add a little honey or butter and brown sugar to their portion.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    This is the BEST BEST recipe for Butternut! I make it all the time! Butternut is pretty high in calories, so watch what you eat. This stuff is addictive! I also just like to roast butternut on a sheet pan in the oven. Feta cheese, sage and butternut are meant for eachother. Butternut risotto is awesome too, but time consuming.

Orzo with Roasted Vegetables
    Copyright 2001 Barefoot Contessa Parties!, All Rights Reserved

Ingredients
    1 butternut squash, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
    1 red bell pepper, 1-inch diced
    1 yellow bell pepper, 1-inch diced
    1 red onion, peeled and 1-inch diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup good olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 pound orzo or rice-shaped pasta

For the dressing:
    1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
    1/3 cup good olive oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

To assemble:
    4 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
    1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts), toasted
    3/4 pound good feta, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
    15 fresh basil leaves, cut into julienne

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Toss the eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, and pepper on a large sheet pan. Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with a spatula.

Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7 to 9 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the roasted vegetables to the pasta, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.

For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour on the pasta and vegetables. Let cool to room temperature, then add the scallions, pignolis, feta, and basil. Check the seasonings, and serve at room temperature.
  • tinkerbek
    tinkerbek Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash fries are awesome!! I'm so addicted.

Ingredients
    # 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds - large enough to yield 20 ounces uncooked flesh)
    # 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
    #
    Cooking Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Use a sharp knife to remove the ends of the squash.

Cut squash in half widthwise (making it easier to manage) and then peel squash halves using a vegetable peeler or a knife.

Cut squash in half lengthwise and then scoop out all seeds.

Next, cut squash into French fry shapes. Use a crinkle cutter to make authentic-looking crinkle-cut fries (they'll taste great any way you slice 'em, though).

Using a paper towel, pat squash pieces firmly to absorb any excess moisture.

Place squash in a bowl, add a light coating of lard or olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.

Toss squash to evenly distribute salt and then transfer to a large baking pan wiped with a light coating of Pam. Use 2 pans if needed. Squash pieces should lie flat in the pan.

Place pan(s) in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or so (longer for thick-cut fries, shorter for skinnier fries), flipping halfway through baking. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy.
  • heididormanen
    Options
    we do ours 3 ways.. all use it peeled and cubed

1. soup.. cook squash (I do it in the microwave) cook in chicken stock witch carrots and any other veggies you want until tender add cinnamon, salt, peper garlic... puree, add a little milk and serve..

2. toss with a little olive oil and season salt, bake until tender

3. toss with butter and about 1/4 cup of brown sugar until very tender and brown

4. oh and a 4th.. half the squash lengthwise, remove seeds, lay flat on cooke sheet, add maple syrup to top and bake until fork tender
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I was experimenting in the kitchen tonight and made the following- which I call 'butternut gratin topped shepherds pie'.

I'm not sure of the exact calorie count- it will vary depending on brands used, but it is approx 270 per portion, and it serves a generous 4 portions.

1 450g pack lean minced (ground) turkey
    1 'long part' (The neck of the butternut- the bit without seeds) chopped off, peeled and cut into thin disks.
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 carrots, cut into small dice
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
    2 beef/lamb stock cubes- diluted in water.
    Salt & pepper
    2 cups sliced mushrooms
    2 bay leaves
    1 dash red wine/port for a richer sauce (optional)
    Fresh thyme & Parsley, chopped (optional)

Optional- 2 medium tomatoes- sliced, plus 1/2 cup shredded mature cheese for topping.

- brown the turkey, onion, garlic & carrot in a non stick pan. Add the tomatoes, beef stock, tomato puree, bay leaves, worcestershire sauce, S&P and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Add teh herbs and wine if using.

-Meanwhile, blanch the butternut disks in boiling water for about 3 minutes- until just beginning to soften slightly. Drain and set aside.

- Pour the turkey mixture into an oven proof casserole dish. Top the pie with the butternut disks, overlapping them slightly until the whole top is covered. repeat if you have soome slices left over.

- If using- add the sliced tomatoes, and shredded cheese, top with more herbs.

-Bake in the top of a hot oven (200 degrees) for approx 15 minutes, until top is golden & bubbling.

I served this with steamed cauliflower and broccoli and it was delicious- even my bf who loves shepherds pie to be laden with creamy cheesy mash loved this!
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Spicy butternut squash meatloaf

2 tbsp evoo
    1 small yellow onion diced (3/4 cup)
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1/2 small butternut squash (1 1/3 cups)
    3 ounces pancetta or bacon diced
    1 tsp red pepper flakes
    coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
    1 1/2 lbs ground pork or turkey
    1 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1 to 2 slices white sandwich bread, diced medium
    1 large egg

1. preheat oven to 350. in a medium skilled, heat oil. add onion, garlic, squash and bacon and cook stirring occasionally until onion is soft and vegetables brown. add seasonings, stir 1 min

2. in a large bowl combine pork, cheese, bread, and egg. add vegetable mixture and season with 2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. mix. transfer to a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet, form into a 4 by 10 inch load. bake until meatloaf is cooked through, 40 min, rotating sheet halfway through. let rest 15 min before slicing.

serves 6.

per serving (with pork)
    429 cal, 29.6 g fat, 29.6 g protein, 10.4 g carb, 1.4 g fiber
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    The butternut and quinoa soup recipe sounds great. I am always looking for new quinoa recipes. It is such a healthy grain and is easy to digest.
  • livlovlaf
    livlovlaf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Bump for later:bigsmile:
  • dizzyduck
    dizzyduck Posts: 2
    Options
    Yet another soup recipe! I absolutely love this subtly spicy soup

Ingredients:
    1 medium onion chopped (I use red as it's sweeter)
    30g butter
    1 small red chilli (not too hot) - finely chopped
    1 medium-large butternut squash - rougly chopped
    2 medium potatoes - roughly chopped
    1 medium carrot - roughly chopped
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    900ml chicken stock
    1-2tbsp tomato puree
    Medium Curry Powder (to taste)
    Medium Chilli Powder (to taste)
    Salt and Peper (to taste)

NB:
    You will need a large pan!! If not, split into two pans.
    Method:
    Melt butter in the pan and add the onions.

Wait for them to soften before adding the chill and garlic to the onions. Keep an eye on the garlic, if it singes it can leave a bitter taste in the soup. Soften for a furter 2 minutes.

Add in the carrot, potatoes and buttenut squash to the pan. Cover with the lid and let them sweat for 5 minutes.

Add in the chicken stock and seasoning and let simmer for 45 minutes.

Add in the curry powder and chilli powder. I usually use approx 3tbsp of curry powder and 1tsp of chilli powder. Turn the heat down and cook for a further 5-10 minutes.

Take off the heat, and using a hand blender, blend until smooth and then serve. I usually manage to get 6 portions out of this recipe.

For extra creaminess, or to dampen down the spices if too hot, I suggest adding a swirl of cream into the portions of soup.

Enjoy!! :happy:
  • kristijoanderson
    Options
    Do you know the nutrional values and calories etc. of this soup? I want to make it tonight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    From Hungry Girl - Yummy Butternut Home Fries

Ingredients
    2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (1 inch cubes)
    ½ medium red bell pepper, chopped
    ½ medium onion, chopped
    ½ cup fat-free broth (chicken or vegetable)
    ½ Tbsp olive oil
    ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
    Dash of cayenne pepper
    Salt and black pepper, to taste

Directions:
    Sauté onion with olive oil in a pan over low heat until translucent for 1 to 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and continue to cook for 1 minute.
    Add squash and stir. Turn heat up to medium and add salt, black pepper, pumpkin pie spice and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
    Cook for about 7 minutes, until squash starts to soften.

Raise heat to high and add broth. Bring to a boil. After 30 seconds of boiling, reduce heat to low. Simmer until broth evaporates, stirring often.

Cover pan and continue to cook for 3 minutes or until squash is tender.

Makes 4 servings

Per Serving: 58 calories, 2g fat, 63mg sodium, 11g carbs, 2g fiber,
    3g sugars, 1g protein.

You can make this into almost a meal in itself if you add some rice and a little ground turkey or hamburg.

Rachel Ray has a great recipe using butternut squash called Potato-Topped Beef Stew. Not exactly diet friendly but it's soooooo good. Google and see for yourself.
  • sharleecr
    sharleecr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you can also just throw the whole squash in the crockpot and put it on low all day and then cut it in half and scoop out the squash to eat however you like it. no peeling or slicing necessary before throwing it in. works well for acorn squash also.