5x5 program , did i start right?

Options
I did the 5x5 workout , not sure if i did right or not , i read most of it was still unsure. This is what i did.

squats 25 reps
Chest press 25 reps
Bicep curls 17 reps <--- (I physically couldn't lift anymore and i didn't want to push as i was already going for my max out strength)
Barbell row 25 reps

But it only took around 20 minutes , and it says spend 45 minutes doing it? Do i just carry on for 45 minutes untll i hit the time? or stop when i complete the reps. I didn't rush it , i took nice breaths whilst lifting , i paused while lifting.

Not sure if this is correct how i've done it.

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Did you do 25 reps all at one time? If so then yes you did it wrong. You are supposed to do 5 sets of 5 reps with rest in between each set.
  • TonyPillz
    TonyPillz Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I rested per 5 reps i did , i came back did another 5 reps etc. 30 second rest then started again.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Maybe you went too light on the 25 reps and too heavy on the bicep curls? Just a thought.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You should have at least 90 seconds of rest after five reps, and 3-5 minutes if you fail to do five...that's why it's 5x5. Also, is that Stronglifts or something else, as Stronglifts doesn't have curls?
  • CarrC83
    CarrC83 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What weights are you using per exercise?
  • TonyPillz
    Options
    CarrC83 wrote: »
    What weights are you using per exercise?

20kg , long bar. 10kg each side.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You very quickly end up using a different weight on each exercise, so unloading/loading the bar tacks on some extra time. I could see getting in the three main lifts in about a half hour.

If you used the same weight for everything and only rested for 30 seconds between sets then yes, I guess I could see you knocking it out in 20 minutes.

Rest longer next time.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who's been doing it for a couple years, yeah you're doing it wrong. Google it so you can learn to proper way to do that program.
  • TonyPillz
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Coming from someone who's been doing it for a couple years, yeah you're doing it wrong. Google it so you can learn to proper way to do that program.

Or you could tell me what i've done wrong? Why would i go to google when i've got a experienced person right here telling me i've done it wrong lol.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    TonyPillz wrote: »
    I did the 5x5 workout , not sure if i did right or not , i read most of it was still unsure. This is what i did.

squats 25 reps
    Chest press 25 reps
    Bicep curls 17 reps <--- (I physically couldn't lift anymore and i didn't want to push as i was already going for my max out strength)
    Barbell row 25 reps

But it only took around 20 minutes , and it says spend 45 minutes doing it? Do i just carry on for 45 minutes untll i hit the time? or stop when i complete the reps. I didn't rush it , i took nice breaths whilst lifting , i paused while lifting.

Not sure if this is correct how i've done it.

I found, when I was early in the program, that I got done fairly quickly. As I have moved up in weight, it takes me longer. I am around 45-50 minutes now, where I used to get done in about 30. I am now usually using the 3 minute rest period rather than the 1.5 minute rest.

Do you use the app? You can download it at stronglifts.com. It will time your rest periods and track your reps and weights for you.
  • CarrC83
    Options
    So about 135, how did that feel. Seems low.for squats and heavy for curls with good form.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It will be shorter duration at the beginning because you are resting less between sets. As the sets get heavier you will rest 3 minutes between sets and that's where it becomes a 45+ minute workout. As a numbers nerd if you did all 3 exercises from stronglifts and had to rest 3 minutes between you would have 14 rests @ 180 seconds each which would be 42 minutes of rests alone, then factor in the time it takes you to do the sets say 15 sets at 1 minute a piece you're looking at almost an hour when all the lifts get hard. If it's taking you 20 minutes now though that means you aren't resting the recommended 90 seconds between sets as that would be 22.5 minutes in rests alone plus the 15 sets you have to do.

I don't know why there's a bicep curl in there...it's not part of SL 5x5. I think they recommend dips and pull ups for more arm work (compound movements are what SL5xx5 is built from so these make sense with that). But if curls are what you like then I can understand adding those in.
  • bearkara
    bearkara Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Look up strong lifts 5x5 in google if you want a great program. They have a free app that makes the workouts really simple.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

Or you could tell me what i've done wrong? Why would i go to google when i've got a experienced person right here telling me i've done it wrong lol.

Where do you think all of expereinced persons got our information from?
  • CarrC83
    Options
    I'm sorry, that's like 90 lbs thought it.said 20g plates as well
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Oh, I downloaded an app on the iTunes store that I put on my ipod when I'm doing 5x5...it beeps at the 90s and 3 minute rest mark and tracks your progress...I love it. It might be helpful for you too!

Happy lifting!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

What did you do wrong? Almost everything. Seriously - completely read the program's write-up. Don't go to the gym until you fully understand the program.
  • TonyPillz
    Options

Where do you think all of expereinced persons got our information from?

But surely you'd rather share in your wisdom and explain to me what i did wrong , rather than tell me i'm wrong and direct me to google , that's like telling a child they made a error on their algebra and telling them to google the answer rather than be taught it by someone who knows what there talking about on a personal level lol.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The stronglifts app is great and walks you through the 5x5 with proper rest timed in between sets. It automatically increases your lifts and can account for failures. It's also free and very easy to follow. We can't really be your personal trainer, but it can do a pretty decent job.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    CarrC83 wrote: »
    So about 135, how did that feel. Seems low.for squats and heavy for curls with good form.

Where'd you get 135 from?
    20kg bar = 45lb bar (rounding)
    10kg each side = 22lb each side, roughly 45lb total.
    So 90lbs total, not 135.

If he's just beginning the program, it's not that low. it's a beginning.

But SL doesn't have curls.
    ICF does and they're AFTER the main lifts (squat, bench, row).