It's Not Just Me, Is It Ladies?

Options
I usually workout for an hour 5 days a week with no problem. Yeah, I'm tired after, but hey, I'm working hard. However, when I'm on my period, I'm completely wiped out after just 20 minutes. It's frustrating but I just feel that I physically cannot do anymore. Please tell me I'm not alone here.

Replies

• jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    No, I'm sure you're not alone. If you're not already, I would recommend taking a multi-vitamin WITH IRON. When you're losing blood, you're losing the iron in it too. I've done this ever since an old coach talked to me about it and I've never had a problem since. Hope this helps!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No hon, it's not just you. Takes a lot out of a person! You might consider a iron supplement just during the days you need it (2-3 during your cycle) That might help :)
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I didn't want to convince myself that I just became lazy one week a month. :tongue:
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I feel like a fat, greasy, slow moving pig when it's my TOM...
    Workouts are long and way harder :(
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    That time of the month always wreaks havoc on my diet and exercise. I crave carbs and I'm totally exhausted and have no motivation.

Next time I'm going to try the iron supplement like the other posters said.

Any tips for curbing the ravenous carb cravings?
  • annastacia10
    annastacia10 Posts: 106
    Options
    You are definitely not alone because I am so wiped out during mine. In fact, a few days before I knows it's coming because I am so lethargic and getting out of bed isn't easy. My workouts suffer for it too. Push through it if you can, because regardless I always feel better after the workout.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Without wwishing to interfere in this female subject, the logic is that with the blood loss comes oxygen deficiency, ie red blood cells carry oxygen. Along with inevitable hormone imbalances during your cycle it is not surprisiing that you feel out of sorts after just a short workout.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    By the way, EXCELLENT job on your loss so far!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    20 minutes is about all I can stand too. I do a couple 20 minute walks on my treadmill because the walking helps with the cramps. Some months are better than others. It will all workout.
  • MommyLumpkin
    MommyLumpkin Posts: 129
    Options
    Yesterday was the start of mine, and half way through working out on the elliptical, I started crying for no reason whatsoever. Luckily, I was sweating so much no one could tell. LOL I decided today I might just go for a walk later or exercise at home. No need to get all hormone crazy at the gym. I've always felt like my period takes alot out of me, physically. My husband thinks I'm just playing up for sympathy but I really do just want to curl up with a box of tissues and a good book and pretend the world doesn't exist for a few days.
  • michelle2566
    Options
    Well I must be the odd one out I have more energy at that time of the month.......I must have something wrong with me!!!!!!
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I tend to have more energy, also. My TOM is odd and I am hormone sensitive so I am surprised I am not more batty during that week
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    No hon, it's not just you. Takes a lot out of a person! You might consider a iron supplement just during the days you need it (2-3 during your cycle) That might help :)

My Dr recently told me that it takes 4 - 5 weeks of taking iron supplements for it to have an effect on your iron levels. I was having the same issues and went to see him. He said to take a supplement consistantly or take a multivitamin that has a small amount of iron in it.
  • jessdeweerdt
    jessdeweerdt Posts: 128
    Options
    Yesterday I slept from 6pm to 630 am this morning!! I did a workout, but it was a brisk walk, not my usual intensity. I used to give myself off for the entire length of it, but I don't allow myself that anymore.. I do what I can do and as long as I know I'm doing my best, it's good enough.
  • vauleese
    vauleese Posts: 75
    Options
    TOM started yesterday afternoon and I couldn't figure out why I needed a nap after I woke up...then I started and had my AH HA moment! Then I went for a bike ride around my neighborhood...25 minutes and I was huffing and puffing and sore (I was also pulling my 2.5 year old in a trailer) but my cramps weren't near as bad as they were when I woke up. Today minor cramps, went to the gym just now and could only do about 11 minutes on the treadmill (normally I can do at least 30) and 13 minutes on the stair master before I was tuckered out. Also if anyone can tell me how to curb the carb cravings as well, I would soo love that!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I just looked at my vitamin's ingredients..100% of my daily iron. Maybe my problem is stemming from my birth control. I'm going to make an appointment to talk to the doc soon. As far as cravings go, I generally try to sub for something equally delicious. Instead of greasy yummy chips, I'll bake kale chips or break out the Special K crisps (27 of them = 110 cals!!). If I'm craving chocolate, instead of a wonderfully giant brownie, chocolate milk works for me.