What if we eat less than suggested intake?

Options
Whenever I'm trying to eat healthy and diet I can never eat the suggested daily caloric intake. But then when I'm not dieting I can.shove my face with lots and lots of carbs. Ugh! And know dieting I can't eat too many carbs (that's usually when I fail)

But what are the side effects of not meeting our daily caloric intake??

Replies

• theytellmeiamking
    theytellmeiamking Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you die to death permanently
  • steppphie
    steppphie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you die to death permanently

Hahahaha that's what I was looking for.
  • theytellmeiamking
    theytellmeiamking Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yes
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Side effects are weightloss... albeit unhealthy weightloss because you aren't meeting your nutritional needs. Your weightloss may be slowed if "starvation mode" is a real thing. I am undecided about this theory.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Also you can get super bitchy, shaky weak, lightheaded...
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    How much did you set up MFP to lose per week? How many calories did it give you? What are your height/weight/age/gender stats (they're relevant). How active are you during the day (be honest with yourself)?

The general rule for females is 1200 minimum, for males 1500 minimum. This is to insure you are getting adequate nutrition to support good health while losing weight. If you are much shorter than average, this could be a bit lower, but MFP doesn't take that into account.

So, if your target is 1200 and you are consistently significantly below that, you need to eat more, period.

If your target is higher, such as 2000, and you are below that, it's not as critical, but you don't necessarily want to have huge ( way over 1000 calorie) deficits day to day if you are active.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah....carbs: not the devil. Just sayin'.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Side effects are a life of "Whenever I'm trying to eat healthy and diet I can never eat the suggested daily caloric intake. But then when I'm not dieting I can.shove my face with lots and lots of carbs."

If you set your deficit small enough to gradually lose the weight, exercise for the fun and health benefits and the fitness aspect and not for weight loss, and adopt a lifestyle of everything in moderation and eating enough, you won't get into cycles of dieting and binging....
    You will lose the weight, look good naked, be healthy, don't get crazy binges cause you can never eat carbs, and in short, be a happier person.....
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    steppphie wrote: »
    Whenever I'm trying to eat healthy and diet I can never eat the suggested daily caloric intake. But then when I'm not dieting I can.shove my face with lots and lots of carbs. Ugh! And know dieting I can't eat too many carbs (that's usually when I fail)

Maybe you should consider eating the foods you do when you are not dieting...when you are dieting. Learn portion control while you're losing weight, so you don't "shove your face with lots and lots of carbs" and regain the weight you lost afterward. Add carbs and foods you like within your calorie goal. Then you'll meet your daily goal, and can learn how moderate your intake along the way.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    if I dont eat enough I feel weak, I cant lift my normal amount of weight in the gym. I am tired early in the evening and walking around feels like a workout.
  • steppphie
    Options

Maybe you should consider eating the foods you do when you are not dieting...when you are dieting. Learn portion control while you're losing weight, so you don't "shove your face with lots and lots of carbs" and regain the weight you lost afterward. Add carbs and foods you like within your calorie goal. Then you'll meet your daily goal, and can learn how moderate your intake along the way.

Yes thats very true thank you! Haha, I worded what I said strangely. I was basically asking how do people meet their daily goal! I've gained 40 pounds in less than a year (I blame it on my getting a man a year ago and eating very unhealthy and eating out) I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 215. I know I need to eat healthy and yes yall are right, I can still eat carbs _ it's about portion control
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

Yes thats very true thank you! Haha, I worded what I said strangely. I was basically asking how do people meet their daily goal! I've gained 40 pounds in less than a year (I blame it on my getting a man a year ago and eating very unhealthy and eating out) I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 215. I know I need to eat healthy and yes yall are right, I can still eat carbs _ it's about portion control

Weight loss is, in my opinion, easier than maintaining. Unless you plan on never eating carbs and treats for the rest of your life, you might be best off learning how to work them into your diet without over eating.
  • steppphie
    Options

Weight loss is, in my opinion, easier than maintaining. Unless you plan on never eating carbs and treats for the rest of your life, you might be best off learning how to work them into your diet without over eating.

Yes and that's what I'm going to work on doing. Especially so I don't crack! Let's be real- carbs and treats aren't going to disappear. But really ya think weight loss is easier?
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

Yes and that's what I'm going to work on doing. Especially so I don't crack! Let's be real- carbs and treats aren't going to disappear. But really ya think weight loss is easier?

For me, yes. I had a goal, something to strive towards. It's fun watching the scale go down, it feels like a little victory every time. It's not as interesting watching it stay the same.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Some days I have a problem eating my daily suggested calories for weight loss so I consider a bigger window of weekly suggested calories. This allows for some days when social eating (drinking) happens and one tends to go over maximum calories. Some reasons why I don't make minimum daily goal is 1) I am taking Wellbutrin and it has decreased my appetite. 2) I am retired and I sometimes sleep in and miss a meal. 3) The weather is hot and I don't feel like eating.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

It depends on how much of a deficit you're eating at.

If you're eating say 1400-1800 then eating maybe 100 calories lower a few times won't hurt you; however, if you're eating 1,200 calories then I wouldn't suggest it.

Why can't you eat too many carbs? Are you diabetic? If you're then I understand, but if you're not you should eat in a way that is sustainable past your 'dieting' & will work for you in maintenance.