I don't have periods anymore?

Options

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is a very short "period" of time for your body to transition back to having a period. But still, seeing your doctor is a wise idea.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    at this point, it would be good to check with your doctor. Losing your period can happen with a ton of exercise. cross country runners I knew didn't get theirs. But dr. always check with your dr if something changes with your body. always.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    1. If your body is below what your personal body considers essential fat, you won't have periods. This is somewhere between 10-17% body fat depending on the woman. Your weight doesn't actually matter that much.

2. If your body feels particularly stressed, you might not have periods. That's usually through calorie restriction (so DURING dieting) or else really heavy exercise. Two weeks isn't long enough for you to suddenly get your period back. You're usually put into suppression at the beginning of the follicular phase, so I wouldn't expect anything until 3 weeks, minimum. If your body fat percent is above 15% (especially) and you're on maintenance with eating and the pause continues longer than 3 months, YES, you should be concerned. Drop your activity level drastically for a full month and see what that does. If it comes back, raise your activity level a little by little to see what your particular body tolerates.

3. Not having a period itself is not dangerous. In fact, doing things like having kids and prolonged breastfeeding are actually protective against certain cancer.

4. Not having a period because of one of the above is dangerous because it leads to loss in bone density and other issues. If you are not having a period because of one of the above, taking hormones to "jump start" your periods does nothing about the actual risks involved.

5. Periods can be anywhere between 21 and 35 days apart and be considered normal. If your cycle ends up lengthening, you're fine.

6. There is a possibility that it isn't related to your weight and exercise, in which case you would have premature ovarian failure. This is FAR, FAR less likely. And what you're describing does not fit the description of POF. There are also rare hormonal imbalances where you get egg cysts like in PCOS that don't rupture with ovulation but you're not overweight. This is insanely unlikely but possible. In this case, there's really nothing to be done until you want to have kids but you don't have to be concerned that it's because of your weight and exercise.

7. If nothing above works, ask to see a reproductive endocrinologist. That's who can properly diagnose what's going on. Your GP and OB/GYN won't have the first clue.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    Have you not had a period at all since Feb, or has it been irregular?
    How much have you lost, and how fast? Your profile says 40 lbs lost. Is that since last Aug.? 40 lbs in 10 months isn't crazy fast, and 110 lbs at 5'3" isn't underweight, so those don't send up huge red flags.

You may want to see your doctor to rule out any other reasons for missing your period.

5'3" and 110 pounds certainly can be underweight depending on bone structure, etc.

No. But it can be under fat. 5'3" and 120lbs can be under fat.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would say your body is still adjusting it can take a right few months for it to regulate but you'r better going to your doc in case there is something else going on
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    Have you not had a period at all since Feb, or has it been irregular?
    How much have you lost, and how fast? Your profile says 40 lbs lost. Is that since last Aug.? 40 lbs in 10 months isn't crazy fast, and 110 lbs at 5'3" isn't underweight, so those don't send up huge red flags.

You may want to see your doctor to rule out any other reasons for missing your period.

5'3" and 110 pounds certainly can be underweight depending on bone structure, etc.

My bone structure is on the small side and I do not look underweight. During my two weeks of maintaining, I have had a good amount of food every day. I've also had a lot of fruit and veggies. So, my lack of menstruation cycles is not because of my weight. I know for sure I am not pregnant. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Fruits and vegetables make no difference.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for helping with this problem! For now, I got my answer. So, thank you again. There is no more reason for this post to be active. :smile: Goodbye.

Ahahaha, she thinks she can stop a thread once it's started. Ahahahahaha
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Thanks everyone for helping with this problem! For now, I got my answer. So, thank you again. There is no more reason for this post to be active. :smile: Goodbye.

Ahahaha, she thinks she can stop a thread once it's started. Ahahahahaha

Especially when she got some bad answers in the bunch. :P
  • kissesdahling
    kissesdahling Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Your medical doctor should run blood tests, check liver, thyroid, etc. Have you had any other symptoms, like hair loss? If they give you a clean bill of health, talk to your gyno. They can run different blood tests and check for other causes. Also, remember: the only way you can be 100% sure you're not pregnant is abstinence. It's rare, but women can become pregnant on birth control, so don't rely on that. Usually, when a woman isn't pregnant, and a doctor has ruled out pregnancy with a blood test to be extra sure, they start checking for other causes like illness or thyroid. So, it really is very important you check thyroid.

Is it possible that you are anemic? And remember: You can get enough calories (or more than enough) and still be malnourished. Fruits and vegetables aren't the only things. You need adequate fats and proteins as well. While you should still see a doctor no matter what (and perhaps seek a second opinion if you are told again this is normal), if you open up your food diary, people who are well-versed in nutrition might be able to give you some pointers, if that were to be a factor.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    In August of last year, I began losing weight. In February, I started missing my period. When I asked a friend (who lost a lot of weight) about missing my period, she responded that happens when the body is going through some changes. Finally, I reached my goal weight earlier this month (June 11th). Now I am 5'3 and 110 pounds and I've been maintaining my weight with no difficulty. However, it's been two weeks on maintaining and I still have not had my period yet. Is this normal? If you had this problem too, when did you get your period again? Thanks for reading.

... It's been two weeks. Do you normally get your period every two weeks? Anyway, give it 3 months for your body to normalize (that's how long doctors say it can take to normalize when your hormones change - which does happen going from maintaining to losing to maintaining). Then if it isn't back, go see a doctor or put on 2 lbs and see if that helps.

Funny enough I have the opposite problem.. when I lose weight I get my period all the time. And then it goes back to normal when I eat more.
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have nearly the exact same stats and situation as you! 5'3 109 as of this morning and no cycle for a while. You should see an endocrinologist and a gyno. Missed periods aren't necessarily from dieting if you've done it safely. Get some blood work on all of your hormone levels and your thyroid checked. I hope that it's resolved soon!

P. S. Feel free to add me!
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'd say go get it checked out with your doctor. I had the most regular period in the world my entire life and then it was off and on while I was losing the weight. It totally stopped when I went into maintenance. I asked my GP about it and they said it was likely weight loss related (as I lost a lot of weight 150+ lbs) but when it was time for my OB/GYN exam (after not having my period for 10 months in a row) they ran tests to make sure it wasn't anything else and I ended up being pre-menopausal.
  • ConstantStruggle
    ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Two weeks of maintaining is not a lot of time. I say give it another two weeks....if you don't get any kind of a period in a month then I would see the doctor. Even spotting can be your period.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me in my 30s, I was doing some extreme cardio tho, and eating well., it did come back.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    There are tons of questions to ask about this, that your doctor should have done/may do when you go see him/her. Have you always had a consistent period? Did it stop all together or just become inconsistent? Etc. The lack of consistency could be related to your sexual health (like PCOS or any number of ovarian oddities), stress on your system (My mom lost hers while studying for finals in college. Nothing to do with work-outs. Everything to do with lack of sleep and pressure to do well.), or a different system effecting your overall health (thyroid, liver, blood. I fall into this category.).

You should probably get it looked at, because the inconsistency has lasted through an extended period of time and a number of lifestyle changes.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    i lost my period for two years while eating very very low calories

i have just recently regained my full period after 6ish months of high calorie consistent eating .i also stopped all excessive cardio and kept my workouts shorter
  • DaliaMaria1173
    DaliaMaria1173 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In August of last year, I began losing weight. In February, I started missing my period. When I asked a friend (who lost a lot of weight) about missing my period, she responded that happens when the body is going through some changes. Finally, I reached my goal weight earlier this month (June 11th). Now I am 5'3 and 110 pounds and I've been maintaining my weight with no difficulty. However, it's been two weeks on maintaining and I still have not had my period yet. Is this normal? If you had this problem too, when did you get your period again? Thanks for reading.

Get checked. It could be from too low carb or too low calorie/weight. I don't know what your build is, but I'm also 5'3" and aiming for my close to my old weight of 125. I look like death at 115, never mind 110.
  • DaliaMaria1173
    DaliaMaria1173 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention. Lack of fats, and for some women, carbs, in the diet can affect cycles.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too. I am NOT underweight, I eat plenty of calories and lost a fair amount of weight, quickly but not ridiculously so (60lbs in 9 months). My periods were very regular through weight loss right up until a couple of months after I started maintenance, go-figure!

What happened is that I skipped a couple of periods, and then they have started restabilizing, BUT they are further apart, a bit more unpredictable and much MUCH lighter (yeah!).

My understanding is that it's perfectly normal for your hormones to go all over the place for a variety of reasons, one of which is weight loss. Estrogen hormones, in particular, are manufactured by your body in your ovaries but also in body fat, so as you lose body fat (and I lost A LOT), it would make sense that the amount of estrogen in your body would drop quite a lot and that this would affect your monthly cycle.

So, go see your doc, but don't worry. Seems quite common.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal. It could be weight loss related or it could be something else. I lost my period a few years ago when I first started losing weight and had also ramped up my gym schedule. It came back a couple months later, but then was irregular. See your healthcare provider.