Trying to regain motivation after surgery

Hi! I just had a surgery which prevented me from exercising. I gained a little weight and lost a lot of motivation but I'm trying to get back on track. Looking for friends who can keep each other motivated. Any advice on exercising after surgery is also welcome! Feel free to add me :smile:

Replies

• natal94
    natal94 Posts: 21 Member
    I'm in the exact same position. Two foot surgeries this time last year. Another one in December. Recently cleared to exercise due to heart problems as well. I've never been so out of shape :( I have a lot of muscle still aside from that which atrophied from not being able to walk for three months so I don't necessarily look overweight at 179.9 lbs. but I've noticed muscle disappeared and some turned into fat and I've never felt like this before and it's extremely depressing.
  • natal94
    To add to what I was saying, it's hard to start over. It's easy to use surgery as an excuse because no one will blame you for it. However, I found that my shorts from last summer during my first surgeries don't fit me anymore. That's a motivator. Also I had my surgery on my feet because I could no longer exercise with bunions. Not exercising after that would be a total contradiction. I found that getting a new gym membership motivated me more too. Makes me a little uncomfortable. Just uncomfortable enough to want to go and do my best. Have a friend or significant other hold you accountable also
  • ian_dominic
    ian_dominic Posts: 9 Member
    natal94 wrote: »
    To add to what I was saying, it's hard to start over. It's easy to use surgery as an excuse because no one will blame you for it. However, I found that my shorts from last summer during my first surgeries don't fit me anymore. That's a motivator. Also I had my surgery on my feet because I could no longer exercise with bunions. Not exercising after that would be a total contradiction. I found that getting a new gym membership motivated me more too. Makes me a little uncomfortable. Just uncomfortable enough to want to go and do my best. Have a friend or significant other hold you accountable also

That actually hit home. I've been using it as an excuse. Thanks I think I needed to hear that to fully realize it! How are you doing now?
  • natal94
    I'm doing well now. My feet still get sore at night and hurt sometimes during work outs but they're much better. I'm just starting to get back on track as of this week. I also just realized myself that I was using my surgery as an excuse. Sometimes you just need a slap in the face or come to terms with the fact that it's no longer a reason but an excuse, which is hard to do. How are you doing since your surgery?
  • putzfam4
    putzfam4 Posts: 17 Member
    I had an upper jaw reconstruction in early June and due to blood flow making the healing gums swell, I'm limited to basically walking. My diet also is basically liquid/ very soft, so I add all suppliments to MFA so I can show my doctors my healthy approach, but this is a 5-6 month journey. I keep track of everything, limit alcohol to balance the 1500 daily calorie average, and added 2 more bottles if water daily. Despite the more frequent trips to the bathroom, my weight is down in a healthier way, and despite my loss prior yo surgery, my body is healing.

The other suggestion one of the doctors suggested was some sort of exercise that focuses on slower toning that is less cardio, so I can feel I am still making a positive lifestyle choice.
  • ian_dominic
    natal94 wrote: »
    I'm doing well now. My feet still get sore at night and hurt sometimes during work outs but they're much better. I'm just starting to get back on track as of this week. I also just realized myself that I was using my surgery as an excuse. Sometimes you just need a slap in the face or come to terms with the fact that it's no longer a reason but an excuse, which is hard to do. How are you doing since your surgery?

Hope it gets better and the sooner the better too lol. I've been doing some cardio at the moment and I think I might try lifting weights again two weeks from now. I'm just missing that feeling after working out.
  • ian_dominic
    putzfam4 wrote: »
    I had an upper jaw reconstruction in early June and due to blood flow making the healing gums swell, I'm limited to basically walking. My diet also is basically liquid/ very soft, so I add all suppliments to MFA so I can show my doctors my healthy approach, but this is a 5-6 month journey. I keep track of everything, limit alcohol to balance the 1500 daily calorie average, and added 2 more bottles if water daily. Despite the more frequent trips to the bathroom, my weight is down in a healthier way, and despite my loss prior yo surgery, my body is healing.

The other suggestion one of the doctors suggested was some sort of exercise that focuses on slower toning that is less cardio, so I can feel I am still making a positive lifestyle choice.

Huh I haven't thought of that. All I've been doing is keeping my calorie intake low to minimize the weight gain. What exercises have you been doing?