I'm hungry. How am I meant to continue this?

Options

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    You say you're low on protein and going over on sugar. That is a bad combination and very likely to make you hungry. Protein will keep you full. Sugar will not.

You don't need to eat red meat if you don't tolerate that well. You can have more chicken, eggs, fish, greek yogurt (don't get the flavored kind...lots of sugar in it...sweeten with fruit if you need flavor). Nuts are great, just be careful with quantity since they are high in calories.

Otherwise...you should eat more non starchy vegetables. They are very low calories and the fiber will help keep you feeling full. Fruits are fine in moderation, but have many more calories so you can't eat them in unlimited quantities and expect to lose weight. Some fruits have much more fiber and less sugar compared to others...berries are a great example. Take this into consideration.

+1

Protein, fiber, non-starchy veggies. STAY AWAY FROM SUGAR - it will make you hungry.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    stargirl85 wrote: »
    Well I have 2portions of fruit a day and some veg. One of them being strawberries so that sounds good!
    By non starchy veg is that anything other than potatoes?
    Well I'm not extra low on protein. Sometimes it's the right amount and sometimes it's a bit less. The fat seems to be a bit higher than it should be BUT a fair amount is unsaturated like nuts avocado. Oh 1egg seems to take up a lot of the rec. Fat allowance. And I gave a bit of ham in the omelette with the veg in so that's a bit of protein.

I honestly think those of you who say 'that's what's to be expected as ur in deficit' and it's not a major thing to be worried about are probably right. Im new to this. Just somehow need to up the protein without the fat except many things with protein in have fat in too!

I have cut down on the amount of sugar I ate A LOT. I do still have Greek yoghurt with honey so mayb I need to get the unsweetened one. And raisins are in my cereal (not many) when I have one.

Non starchy vegetables are most of the green veggies, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions. The common ones with a lot of starch are potatoes, corn, peas, pumpkin. I'm not saying you should never eat starchy vegetables, but just take into account that they have more calories than things like broccoli and spinach. So if you're hungry, you can fit more of the low calorie, high fiber non starchy type into your calorie goal.

I also am not sure what you have your fat/protein/carb macros set to. If you are using the mfp defaults, I think they are 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein. You should think about changing these...experiment and find what works best for you. A lot of people on here move their protein higher and make their carbs lower. Fat...people have radically different approaches. Some move it a little lower, some go much higher. some stay at 30%.

If you cut the carbs to 40%, you could either move your protein to 30%, or move protein to 25% and fat to 35%. Either option would likely make you feel more full, and those numbers are still within the standard dietary guidelines most of the major medical organizations use....so you wouldn't be doing anything that is generally considered unusual.

On the greek yogurt with honey...you could try the plain. But if you really prefer it with the honey, a little honey is fine. It won't do much to keep you full though. But maybe you could try keeping the honey, and reducing something else that is carby. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach.

Finally...being hungry occasionally is to be expected. But if you are hungry constantly...real hunger, not just an urge to snack, then you should change something. Either change what you eat or eat a little more. Sometimes an extra hundred calories can make a big difference.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank you. It does look like I'm doing the right things with most things I eat. I do sometimes miss meals tho cos my sleep pattern is a bit bodged and I can't eat so I just eat when I can. Im still surprised what people are suggesting though as I can't eat anymore within my limit-unless I stabilise or up to half a pound loss a week again. I do seem to generally eat more late evenings though. That is when I have more energy from m.e in general so I do things then.

Should try to remember the cauliflower thing... You grate it?

My IBS =no spices mostly, minimal red meat, I'm gradually eating more wheat and cheese-well I was til I saw the calories in cheese, I do eat some dairy but minimal cheese. Still very minimal wheat. No fizzy drinks or coffee. Basically, plain food. Often it just plays up with no obvious trigger though. But no chilis or peppers!

I don't weigh myself much as I can't get to bathroom much and I would want it to be the same time of day so it's fairly accurate but I'm often ubrouseable at a given time so I don't know when I've weighed myself or how quickly I've put on weight. I think it was 2011-2015 2.5stone or 5inches on my hips and waist. (think I've lost some of what I put on my chest sadly as it's v small although this didn't show on the scales)

You can grate it, or pulse it in a food processor... I pulse mine in my vitamix. Then just pop it in the micro with a bit of water and cook briefly, or stove top. Search online for more exact instructions.

When I was losing, a day might look like a bowl of berries and a flavoured greek yogurt for breakfast (180 calories), a salad with a good serving of cubed rotisserie chicken and a yogurt based dressing (bolthouse yogurt ranch is really good and low cal) for lunch, another yogurt, a few slices of lunch meats, or some cottage cheese for snacks, and a healthy supper with a lean protein, and lots of veggies, limited starches in very small portions (rice, potatoes, pasta).
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you need to be at 1,200 cals.? If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose, 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal. If you have less than 15 lbs to lose, 0.5 lbs/week is ideal. I'd definitely set your goal to .5/week if you are hungry all the time.

Also, have you cross-checked your calories against a site like Scooby's: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/? Let's just imagine you are 5'3" and 145 lbs. (not sure of your actual numbers). Scooby's recommends 1,377 calories to lose .7/lbs. a week. MFP should give you similar goals. Also, be sure to enter your Exercise on MFP and eat back at least some of your exercise calories (if you set your activity level to Sedentary).

To change your Goals, click Goals > Change Goals > Guided, Continue, enter in your accurate information and realistic goal weight, and click Update Profile. You can lose weight without feeling like you are starving all the time. Good luck! :)
  • ElJefeChief
    Options
    Honey is basically just sugar. I would avoid it completely, particularly if you're trying to master low-carbing. If you like sweetening things, splenda works just fine, or you can go with stevia if you're paranoid about "artificial" sweeteners.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its not the end of the world to be hungry.

take a walk, call a friend, take a nap, go swimming, immerse yourself in a good book. go to thrift stores. do something to distract yourself from the idea of food.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    It took my mind & body a month or two to get used to a deficit. I think it just takes time. And like so many have pointed out, eating more protein and things that are filling by low-cal like veggies and salads (without much dressings, butter, oils) is also helpful.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Honey is basically just sugar. I would avoid it completely, particularly if you're trying to master low-carbing. If you like sweetening things, splenda works just fine, or you can go with stevia if you're paranoid about "artificial" sweeteners.

I re-read all the OPs posts here, and no where does she mention wanting to go 'low carb'?? And she doesn't need to go low carb to lose weight. If that works for you, great, but that doesn't mean that everyone else wants to go that path.

Sugar is not the devil.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eat healthier foods.

If you try to eat 1350 calories of veggies in a day, you'll be stuffed and probably not be able to hit the goal. Fruits, veggies, whole-grain bread, etc. You should be able to stay quite full, especially if you're not active.

On the flip side, a little hunger is okay when you're dieting. The beginning is the hardest part, too. It gets easier. But hunger is okay.

Try eating smaller meals, more often, too. Once my stomach is stretched from a big meal, the hunger is a little worse. After a while, it all calms down. Maybe five or six smaller meals would help you, too. Maybe not, but you might want to try it.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Perhaps is you are ill and unable to stand or sit for any length of time, you should concentrate on getting well and not worry about the weight as you seem to have only 18 lbs. to lose.
  • ElJefeChief
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »

I re-read all the OPs posts here, and no where does she mention wanting to go 'low carb'?? And she doesn't need to go low carb to lose weight. If that works for you, great, but that doesn't mean that everyone else wants to go that path.

Sugar is not the devil.

Oh, I got confused. I thought she had mentioned she was trying to low carb.

Sure, sugar's not the devil. I had a bunch of grapes for lunch today, in fact (a rare treat for me - but they were "cotton candy" grapes, very rarely seen at my neighborhood Costco!). I certainly try to limit my sugar intake and tend to be a low-carb eater myself (I avoid bread, candy, processed sugary foods) but my main emphasis is on limiting calories and emphasizing high impact exercise.

There is plenty of science to suggest that simple sugars tend to cause insulin levels to spike, which then can increase subjective hunger. So, spiking yogurt with honey might not be the best way to go if controlling hunger is what one is shooting for. The other recommendations (emphasizing protein, fiber, and hydration) are also good too - and this is regardless whether someone is a "low carb dieter" or not.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Eat healthier foods.

If you try to eat 1350 calories of veggies in a day, you'll be stuffed and probably not be able to hit the goal. Fruits, veggies, whole-grain bread, etc. You should be able to stay quite full, especially if you're not active.

What Kalikel said! Basically more non-processed foods you eat the better, try a giant salad or vegetable soups, plenty of veg and lean protein (chicken, fish, quorn). These things (especially the protein) will keep you full and keep the hunger at bay!

Given that you can't move about much I would steer clear of healthy but calorie dense foods such as nuts and avocado, there is nothing wrong with them but if your case you can't eat very much of them if you can move about much and you won't be able to eat enough of them to keep you full.

Good luck!

Edited for typo.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    1.) Eat more bulk.
    2.) You can exercise without standing up. Do chair exercises.

There are very few chronic illnesses that are not improved by gentle exercises. And with those, you usually shouldn't be dieting at all!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have no issues with carbs, or sugar, and would eat them plentifully.... If I had the calories that allowed me too. If I was on such low cals as you, I personally wouldnt be "wasting" calories on dried fruit, honeyed yoghurt, cereal or grains. They use up calories that could be better used on other foods that would provide more satiety .

I would eat fresh fruit, plain yoghurt (flavoured with protein powder for extra protein) and choose more non starchy vegies - leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, capsicum, mushrooms, eggplant, tomato, cucumber, Celery, cabbages, green beans, spaghetti squash etc

Butternut squash isn't too bad, similar in taste but better than pumpkin for carbs.

I would eat more than the recommended protein and fat.... These are just minimums and, along with good fiber, will keep you feeling more satisfied
  • stargirl85
    stargirl85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Well I have 2portions of frI haveit a day and some veg. One of them being strawberries so that sounds good!
    By non starchy veg is that anything other than potatoes?
    Well I'm not extra low on protein. Sometimes it's the right amount and sometimes it's a bit less. The fat seems to be a bit higher than it should be BUT a fair amount is unsaturated like nuts avocado. Oh 1egg seems to take up a lot of the rec. Fat allowance. And I gave a bit of ham in the omelette with the veg in so that's a bit of protein.

I honestly think those of you who say 'that's what's to be expected as ur in deficit' and it's not a major thing to be worried about are probably right. Im new to this. Just somehow need to up the protein without the fat except many things with protein in have fat in too!

I have cut down on the amount of sugar I ate A LOT. I do still have Greek yoghurt with honey so mayb I need to get the unsweetened one. And raisins are in my cereal (not many) when I have one.

Non starchy vegetables are most of the green veggies, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions. The common ones with a lot of starch are potatoes, corn, peas, pumpkin. I'm not saying you should never eat starchy vegetables, but just take into account that they have more calories than things like broccoli and spinach. So if you're hungry, you can fit more of the low calorie, high fiber non starchy type into your calorie goal.

I also am not sure what you have your fat/protein/carb macros set to. If you are using the mfp defaults, I think they are 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein. You should think about changing these...experiment and find what works best for you. A lot of people on here move their protein higher and make their carbs lower. Fat...people have radically different approaches. Some move it a little lower, some go much higher. some stay at 30%.

If you cut the carbs to 40%, you could either move your protein to 30%, or move protein to 25% and fat to 35%. Either option would likely make you feel more full, and those numbers are still within the standard dietary guidelines most of the major medical organizations use....so you wouldn't be doing anything that is generally considered unusual.

On the greek yogurt with honey...you could try the plain. But if you really prefer it with the honey, a little honey is fine. It won't do much to keep you full though. But maybe you could try keeping the honey, and reducing something else that is carby. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach.

Finally...being hungry occasionally is to be expected. But if you are hungry constantly...real hunger, not just an urge to snack, then you should change something. Either change what you eat or eat a little more. Sometimes an extra hundred calories can make a big difference.

I'm going to have to look up the starchy /non starchy veg a bit more. My tummy doesn't agree with onions and I don't like mushrooms. I eat carrots a lot, sweetcorn, cucumber, beetroot.

Need more broccoli and spinach esp as my iron looks extremely low on here and it took years for me to get it up to low normal (with contraceptive injection to try and lessen my periods as diet and iron supplements seemed to make no difference).

I am not hungry all the time.
    Yes I'm on the default macros.
    Does look like I need to up my protein a bit still.
    Still eating a lot less sugar than I used to. I think a lot of what I'm having now is coming from fruit.

I am not trying to master low carbing!
    At the moment I am trying to master not eating a ton of sugary snacks lol.

Yes I would initially agree. However I have had this condition 15years,half my life. Also, eating less sugar and binging less is trying to be more healthy.

@aemely @callsitlikeiseeit
    I wish I could exercise, take a walk, go to the shops. These are things I have not been able to do for over a decade. I try to do some gentle stretches from my bed as advised and occasionally get in the chair but the other day I did this and watched some of a film and it was too much and I was getting seizures and dead to the world for a couple of days.

Can't remember who said, but this thing says 1200 call for 1lb and 1350 for half a pound. I know that from September onwards it will be colder and I will probably be cooked meals with more calories and no salads, so I think I will stay on what I am and then up it a bit. It may vary a bit depending on how I'm feeling and the day.

I cannot imagine not eating ice-cream once thi summer aaltho I am scared of the calories. So I will have a little.
  • stargirl85
    stargirl85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the posts on the second pageyet but I need to rest so I will do before long!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Also pickles! Pickles are really low in calories so you can eat a substantial portion and they have the salty/crunchy munching on potato chips sort of mental reward.

It does get easier in time.

this is all true but with pickles sometimes they have your body retain water because of all the sodium

it does get easier over time
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    When you're first getting started you're hyper aware of your food and/or lack of. Maybe starting a new hobby or activity would help take your mind off the food you aren't eating.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm not used to being hungry. And I'm gettingmore Hungry as the days go on. Not been two weeks yet. How do I keep this up? Its 1200 calories if I'm aiming for 1lb loss a week and 1350 if it's half a pound.
    I can't exercise as I can rarely stand up due to an ongoing illness that us in a severe form and I don't have the strength to sit up long either (using phone in bed). I don't want to make myself more ill.

So sorry to hear of your illness. It must be very difficult for you.