Eggs

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
We have a regional gas station/convenience store called Kwik Trip (Wisconsin, SEastern Minnesota, and NEastern Iowa). They have really good coffee and are known for their fresh and inexpensive eggs and dairy (other food items are typical convenience store prices). Well, with the egg shortage right now due to the bird flu, eggs at groceries like Aldi are up to over $2 a dozen. It would make sense that Kwik Trip would price their eggs accordingly but they refuse to price gouge their loyal customers. Eggs, right now, are $1.29 a dozen there. They just went up in the last couple of weeks from 99¢. To top it all off, the "laid-on" date on the carton is anywhere from 3-8 days later than the ones in the grocery so they are significantly fresher. Fresher and cheaper, what's not to like? I eat at least a dozen a week and can't afford eggs straight from the farm (around $4 a dozen here). Anyway, here's to a company that actually thinks about its customers!

Also, anybody have any protein breakfast ideas that do not contain eggs but are about 100-150 calories? I'm not sure I want to go up to 4 a day but I want to add more protein in the morning. I already eat Greek yogurt for other meals and I really like my 2 hard cooked eggs as a bedtime snack.

Replies

• PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like to take a couple of pieces of deli meat and roll it around a pickle wedge. Sometimes I add mayo or horseradish inside. It would pair well with your night egg!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt (plain) with my oatmeal, either old fashioned oats or steel cut oats. I will add about a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup to sweeten it a bit. I make my oatmeal with milk instead of water which adds some protein in addition to the yogurt. Throw in a few nuts and fruit as well as some wheat germ to up the protein per serving. Cottage cheese with a bit of fruit is also good. Peanut butter or other nut butter on a whole grain toast is another way to add protein to your day. Jerky makes a good high protein snack.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    I eat Greek yogurt (plain) with my oatmeal, either old fashioned oats or steel cut oats. I will add about a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup to sweeten it a bit. I make my oatmeal with milk instead of water which adds some protein in addition to the yogurt. Throw in a few nuts and fruit as well as some wheat germ to up the protein per serving. Cottage cheese with a bit of fruit is also good. Peanut butter or other nut butter on a whole grain toast is another way to add protein to your day. Jerky makes a good high protein snack.

I LOVE jerky but it is way too salty :'(

• punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You could do breakfast quinoa. Cook it like rice, prepare it like oatmeal. Can be prepared in advance and reheated. I eat oatmeal with flax, chia and hemp seed on it.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Wow Eggs are cheap over there! here in the UK I pay £1.50 for 6 :o
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i buy 30 eggs for 3 us $, quite cheap
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yup, ive been holding off on buying eggs at these high prices. Been eating carton egg whites but i miss a runny whole egg...
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like the Morning star Hot and Spicy Sausage patties. I love sausage and these satiate my need for the real hi-fat deal. They taste good and only 80cal per patty. However, they are not near as juicy as the real deal so I mix 'em with other things to balance moisture. I like to nuke a couple patties, chop 'em up, and mix them with some egg beaters (nuked). The patties have 10g protein each and 5g per serving of egg beater. I keep some things in the fridge to mix flavors up a bit - jalapenos, roasted bell pepper, fresh salsa in season, ripe roma, etc. Oh, and my hot sauce is always available for a quick dash of bang. It is fast, it is easy, and it is tasty.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    We have chickens.. We sell our eggs about $2 a dozen. they are my daughters chickens and she does most of the feeding and collecting, so she gets all of the $$$. Right now she is saving to go to LegoLand with her grandma in August.. She had over $250 saved up when we went on vacation....
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    OH! And chickens are really cheap and low maintenance and they just keep producing eggs... you just have to feed and water them every day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Be sure to check out other non-traditional grocery places like Target too. I found 18 count cartons for $2.29 there last week.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I like to take a couple of pieces of deli meat and roll it around a pickle wedge. Sometimes I add mayo or horseradish inside. It would pair well with your night egg!

I do that to, Sharp cheddar turkey a pickle so good, I have probably ate well over 1000 chickens in my life..

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I'm just incredulous that you consider $2 a dozen expensive. I don't think we've paid that for eggs in Canada since the 80's LOL
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I pay over $4 for my 18 pack of eggs weekly (I buy 2 of those a week.) I too love my eggs.

In regards to your protein breakfast suggestions, I would say a protein shake, greek yogurt, any kind of meat. You don't have to eat breakfast food for breakfast. Steak and eggs is to die. I also will add leftover chicken or taco meat to my eggs in the morning.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Eggs here are cheap. Get your own chickens? you'll have more eggs than you'll know what to do with! Or go for the carton of egg-whites for a while. You can dehydrate your own meats for jerkey to avoid the high sodium. Cook up a package of turkey bacon and keep it in the fridge and snack on that.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I'm just incredulous that you consider $2 a dozen expensive. I don't think we've paid that for eggs in Canada since the 80's LOL

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one thinking it. The last dozen I got around $3.50, and they were the cheap eggs, nothing fancy about them.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I wish eggs here were that cheap lol.. im paying almost $4 a dozen for eggs here
    Yeah my thoughts here too!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    HA yep! :(
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just tried the DIY quest bars this week and they are pretty good. I need to think of other things to add instead of cookies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja30xjHyCfI