p m s

Options
how do you deal with the cravings?

and the moodiness, cramps etc. while dieting and trying to be healthy?

all I wanna do is lay in bed and eat dark chocolate. (which I'm not doing but I want too)

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I would try to cut myself a little break on that infamous "first day", or whatever the worst PMS day is for you. By "little break" I mean just a few more calories than normal. I always keep it below maintenance when I do it, but it's enough to make me feel treated.

Today is my "day one." Last night, I ate an ice cream sandwich and ended up going 50 over goal. Tonight, I might do the same. Tomorrow, when the cramping subsides a little and work isn't being the pain the butt it is today, I'll go back down to my goal. All-in-all, I will have gone 100 calories over for the entire week. Given everything else, I'm okay with that.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I stick to my plan and carry on as usual.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Pop some Advil and get my workout done! lol
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    For me, I've found that eating fewer carbs and more protein really help the moodiness, cravings and cramps during that time of the month.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I eat what I crave... it's the one day that I eat and not worry about it. Just last week, I went over about 400 calories over my goal that day... but if I think about it, that's eating at maintenance. Completely helps me by keeping my cravings to only one day. Then I go back to normal the next day forward. For the cramping, Pilates helps me a lot... and also drinking chamomile tea. :smile:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow!!!!
    Take walks.
  • PrincessWarior
    PrincessWarior Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well i'm not good at ignoring it. I bloat, I crave, I gain 5 pounds eachtime. If I can help you with the craving I will. Air pop Popcorn no butter, sometimes with chilli powder. For the sugar craving which mine is so &?%$%$ bad. Ill drink a diet soda. And please don't hesitate on the chocolat just go dark. And of course water water water.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    if i feel the need to have something sweet, i try to get chocolate that's individually wrapped and only in really limited quantities. i eat like one square of chocolate. i also have nonfat frozen yogurt at home. that helps.

i mainly drink red wine during that time and i allow for it in my deficit. usually working out a lot helps. getting the motivation to get up can be hard but i just don't think about it, lace up, and head to the gym or go for a walk.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well i'm not good at ignoring it. I bloat, I crave, I gain 5 pounds eachtime. If I can help you with the craving I will. Air pop Popcorn no butter, sometimes with chilli powder. For the sugar craving which mine is so &?%$%$ bad. Ill drink a diet soda. And please don't hesitate on the chocolat just go dark. And of course water water water.

i'm "gaining" water weight as i type. checking the scale is the worst for me. i need to stop. lol

• MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I wish I was like every other girl. I have no cravings but everytime I look at food I feel nauseous and sick. All I want to do is sleep. On days I have work I have to force food down my throat so that I'll I have enough energy to get through the day.
    Pills don't work for my crampings either. It feels like someone is punching me in the gut.
    I don't give a crap about maintaining my calories on those days lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    TiJoGa wrote: »
    For me, I've found that eating fewer carbs and more protein really help the moodiness, cravings and cramps during that time of the month.

Cosigned, but clarifying that for me I do this throughout the month - can't tell if you meant you just did this premenstrually or not.

• yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The first day I give myself some slack mainly because if I don't I may snap on someone haha. For the cravings I find lower calorie options. Salty stuff, instead of chips I go for sunflower seeds or almonds. Sweet stuff I try to stick to fruit. Strawberries, clementines, bananas, grapes. The cramps, just pop an advil or something. That helps me. The moodiness is a hard one to tackle but I will get my ipod and go for a walk while listening to music if I wan to be active (also helps with cramps) or if you wanna chill then turn on some relaxing music and take a bubble bath. The warm water may help the cramps too.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    take it easy. you are laying an egg.

I try to do what I normally do but if I cannot I'm ok with it...
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    take it easy. you are laying an egg.

I try to do what I normally do but if I cannot I'm ok with it...

Actually, you lay the egg about 2 weeks before your period. Just to clarify. Menses is just as intense though. You're literally shedding part of your body. Takes a little out of ya.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I try to get as much sleep as possible, which tends to help with the other symptoms. I'm exhausted during my time of the month, so I get moody, bitchy, and hungry. If my sleep is dialed in, the other things seem easier to deal with.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    As I neared and hit 40 my pms and ovulation symptoms became so much worse. Usually I have two days before I start that I feel extremely hungry and on those days I let my self eat up to maintenance. It did not affect my loss nor has it affected my maintaining.
  • LateWinterWolf90
    LateWinterWolf90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I must be lucky i never really have cravings when i'm pmsing. Cramping i can live with it goes away when i exercise anyway
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    What I do is allow some calories (or a lot of calories) for my favorite treats/cravings.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I force myself to do some cardio - pretty much the only pain killer that works for me, and then I have red wine and chocolate if that wasn't enough...