Not so new

Options
Hi,

I am guilty of not introducing myself in the beginning so here it goes. My name is Nikki. I am on the verge of becoming 40 and am slightly over weight. I recently quit smoking and wanted to get back into shape. And no, although I am round, that is not a shape. Lol! :laugh:

I was having some problems getting started, but finally did. I joined a gym about 2 weeks ago and have already had a 5lb. loss. It isn't much, but it is a start. I needed a big push and watching my father die from COPD helped me finally quit smoking. Now that I have done that, I put some extra weight on which is affecting my breathing as well. I know I won't be on this earth long if I don't do something, so now is good a time as any. Hopefully, I can inspire someone else to do the same.

I have been reading posts and think it is a great support system. I like logging my progress and that also helps keep me on track.

I just want to say thanks in advance for all of your support.

Replies

• Mastray
    Mastray Posts: 10
    Options
    Welcome Nikki! It's really hard after so many years to just one day decide you've had enough... but once you do it, it will be the best thing you could have ever done for yourself! Congrats on the first 5 lbs! It's always wonderful to see hard work pay off. Make sure you log your inches as well though. I hit a plateau at one point and normally it would have beat me if it weren't for me checking my measurement... knowing that I'd still lost inches in my waist, hips, etc was wonderful!

Again, welcome and good luck! :)
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Your motivation is commendable. Glad to hear that you finally quit smoking! Good luck on the weight loss. Friend me if you would like, I'm always open to new friends!!:)
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! I am similar and wish you the best of luck. I've only been here for a little while and really love it!
  • melinda0878
    melinda0878 Posts: 31
    Options
    I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad to COPD in 2002. It is so hard to see someone suffer like that. I know how hard it is to quit smoking. My husband quit for me when my Dad died because I was so scared to lose somone else like that. Quiting was the hardest thing he ever done but he did it. He failed a couple of times but has now been quit for 4 years and counting. It can be done. Don't give up.