5:2 Intermittent Fast Diet

Options

Replies

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have friends on the 5:2 and like anything else it worked for some ( self control is vital) not others the ones it worked for logged and stuck to 500 calories and a healthy set amount of calories the other 5 days it failed for the ones who starved 2 days then binged on junk the other 5
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Trying to get that low on the fast days triggered my migraines and also set off a bad reaction (I'm reactive hypoglycemic) so this wasn't a method of eating that ended up working for me either.

Oh dear. I do get migraines very occassionally, so I'll watch out for any link. Thanks.

Headaches on fast days can be caused by low sodium or caffeine withdrawl. A bouillon and / or a coffee might help if that's the cause.
  • lauramckendrick609
    lauramckendrick609 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »

Might not be for everyone, but after a life time of being overweight, I lost 28kg and have maintained for over 1yr. My profile pic shows May 2013 / 2014 / 2015 B)

Congratulations!
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi Flinx. Thank you! I haven't been able to find any groups. I'm struggling to navigate this website. Could you paste a link or something?

Urban Princess, my regular day goal is 1617 (5ft4, sedentary). There is a calculator at:

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

ah thanks! Sorry it is 5 days fasting and 2 eating normally! thanks for the link. I'm currently doing IF but doing a 18:6 version. So many versions out there and it is great if you found one that works well for you.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    @lauramckendrick609 - just a thought due to your profile pic...5:2 ist not recommended for women trying to get pregnant, who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Fasting (as well as weightloss in general) can mess up the hormonal cycle of some women.
  • lauramckendrick609
    Options
    Yeah, for me it's two (non-consecutive) days at 500 calories and five at 1617.
  • lauramckendrick609
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    @lauramckendrick609 - just a thought due to your profile pic...5:2 ist not recommended for women trying to get pregnant, who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Fasting (as well as weightloss in general) can mess up the hormonal cycle of some women.

He's my nephew :smile: I have very few photos of myself.

Thanks for the hormone tip though. I have mood issues that tie in with hormones.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I don't have the link to the groups, but there is a 5:2 group and an IF group here on MFP. Some people are very against it, some people really like it. I'm in the like it camp. The article posted previously really has no bearing on 5:2 or any other form of IF. For me, it supports IF because it said it boils down to the brain - it's much easier for me to do 5:2 (or 4:3 some weeks) to reach my calorie goals than it is to maintain the daily deficit. I eat 20-25% of my TDEE on fast days and at my goal weight maintenance on feast days. I have been doing this for a month and am really enjoying it.

I've struggled with disordered eating in the past and doing the 5:2 has helped me be more like a "normal" person and I really don't deal with the urge to binge any longer, and my emotional eating is under control, even though I'm going through a very emotionally trying time.

I never feel like I'm "punishing" myself on fast days, and you only fast 2 days of the week, not 5. I do recommend tracking your intake on feast days as well, because it is not a free- for all, but it has really helped me be very satisfied with my current intake level. I love sitting down and enjoying my food on feast days and realizing that this is what it'll be like for the rest of my life. Eventually I'll be able to cut out the fast days completely, or maybe keep one day for cushion, but I'll always be able to eat like I do on feast days.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Research shows great health benefits with IF; however, further research indicates that the benefits are mostly for men. Apparently it could actually be bad for women and create hormonal imbalances.
  • flinx1241
    flinx1241 Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    jvs125 wrote: »
    Research shows great health benefits with IF; however, further research indicates that the benefits are mostly for men. Apparently it could actually be bad for women and create hormonal imbalances.

Not disputing that this may be true, but providing credible links to broad based statements like this is generally encouraged...
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I am interested in doing the 5:2 but not for weight loss. There are other purported health benefits associated with 5:2.

Sure wish someone would provide a link to the MFP 5:2 group. I don't see a way to search the groups.

Flinx did. *Points up a few posts above*

Thanks, we must have been typing at the same time.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    flinx1241 wrote: »
    jvs125 wrote: »

Not disputing that this may be true, but providing credible links to broad based statements like this is generally encouraged...

Read this article by Dr. Gabe Mirkin recently. He writes a health and fitness newsletter.
    drmirkin.com/nutrition/weight-loss-with-intermittent-fasting.html

Here is a snippet;
    "Results of one of the best studies we have of intermittent fasting in humans showed that fasting every other day for 12 weeks caused 32 people to lose an average of 12 pounds more than those who followed a daily program of calorie restriction (Nutrition Journal, 11/27/2013). The intermittent-fasting group also markedly lowered several heart attack risk factors:
    • They lost an average of eight pounds of fat.
    • Their triglycerides dropped 20 mg/dL. (High triglycerides signify increased risk for diabetes).
    • Their bad LDL particle size increased. (The larger the particle size, the less likely you are to become diabetic).
    • CRP decreased 13 percent. (CRP measures inflammation that causes heart attacks. The lower your CRP, the less likely you are to develop a heart attack).
    • Blood adiponectin increased six percent. (Adiponectin is released from your fat cells. The higher your levels, the less likely you are to become diabetic).
    • Blood leptin decreased 40 percent. (Leptin predicts weight gain. Lowered leptin levels indicate fat loss)."

The health benefits look interesting but I don't intend to fast every other day like in the study mentioned above.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    @beemerphile1 - I was always a pretty healthy overweight person, but all of my blood work is better. I was boarder line on HDL / LDL and blood pressure. My values were more than perfect after losing 20kg with 5:2. I also have less headaches and less viral infections. I don't know, if the reason was the fasting or the weight loss and better fitness in general. TBH....don't really care ;-)

I do have several friends doing 5:2, that have pain issues and chronic illnesses. The pain disappears, when they fast regularly and comes back if they get 'cheeky' and take a long break from fasting (They are in maintaince mode and are definitely using the fasts to control their other conditions). Thus I do believe, there can be various other health benefits, which are less related to the weight loss per se.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    My lifting buddy is doing 5:2, he's losing weight just fine, but his lifts aren't progressing as well as they otherwise should. I am doing 16:8 and am cutting slightly slower than he is, yet my progress on the iron is much better. Anecdotal, but still something I have noticed.

Rigger
  • flumi_f
    Options
    @navyrigger46 - a friend of mine posted this link today in the 5:2 group. She has been having some problems with her exercise program and has decided to give it a try. https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/5-2-fat-loss-diet-for-lifters

It is a bit of an adjusted 5:2 plan for lifters. I have no idea, if it would help, but might be worth a try for your friend. I just think, everyone needs to find the 'plan' that works for them through a bit of trial and error.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17kg / 37 lbs doing IF .. I find it easier than worrying about my diet every day of the week, it gives me flexibility so I can go out for dinner every now and then. I have been doing it for more than a year now.
  • joahart49
    joahart49 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been following the 5:2 for 53 days. I have lost 10.5 lbs. Some days are a struggle, but overall not a difficult program to follow. I find that I am a lot more active on fast days. Probably to keep my mind off of eating. Has worked for me and my husband is also following the same plan.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Rfox2014 wrote: »
    500 calorie days!?!?! thats lowwww. You would feel a lot better if your carbs were moderate and you just maintained a caloric deficit. That low cals cant be good for your metabolism. Check out my blog https://redphox.wordpress.com/ for my fasting approach

Read up on 5:2 and the science behind the different types of intermittent fasting before judging please.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to get "in trouble" with MFP on your low days, just don't try to complete your day... Easy!