Eggs

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what do you mean holding off at going up to 4?

you mean like not eating 4 a day? why not- other than the cost? I eat 5-6 a night- usaully 3 whole and 3 white- sometimes I bump to 4 whites.

it's fine.
    I'm just incredulous that you consider $2 a dozen expensive.

indeed.
    that's pretty standard- I'm getting pissy that 2 dozen is like 8-9 bucks. That's getting a little absurd- considering I go through a half dozen almost every day.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I'm just incredulous that you consider $2 a dozen expensive. I don't think we've paid that for eggs in Canada since the 80's LOL

Yeah well when your used to paying 99 cents a dozen, $2.50 or more is a lot...
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Costco is around $3 for 18 here in So California, but for my friend in Vegas his Costco eggs are more expensive.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I drive by Kwik Trip all the time, but never go into stations anymore thanks to pay at the pump. Had no idea they discounted staple foods.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I'm just incredulous that you consider $2 a dozen expensive. I don't think we've paid that for eggs in Canada since the 80's LOL

Yeah well when your used to paying 99 cents a dozen, $2.50 or more is a lot...

I would kill to pay 99 cents a dozen. jeepers!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I'm in ny and i always paid $5.00 for 3 dozens of jumbo eggs, but now :( they are like 1 dozen for almost $4.00 #pleasedont #giveMemyEggsBack
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Kwik trip fan checking in!!!! (Central Wisconsin) Even at $1.29/dozen I still buy 4-5 dozen a week. I eat 3-4 whole eggs every morning.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ohio. The eggs at the grocery store in my tiny town are $2.89 per dozen. At the grocery in the city I work, they are $4.09 per dozen. They were both in the $2 range before the avian flu issue. I live in a semi-rural area and see several places (small farms) with them $3/dozen each day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip! I drive by Kwik Trip all the time, but never go into stations anymore thanks to pay at the pump. Had no idea they discounted staple foods.

mine even has organic chicken breast. who knew! and I love their coffee gelato

Milwaukee area resident. I still think the eggs are finely priced and have not curbed my egg habit
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I get fresh eggs from my Grandpa, but when I need a lot, I buy them at Sam's club. I get 3 dozen for $4.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Definitely check it out. Butter is often around $2 a pound (currently $2.19). I have checked the "laid on" dates for the eggs at Kwik Trip and at Pick n Save the same day and Kwik Trip is usually at least 3 days and as many as 8 days fresher. Milk is cheaper, especially if you are willing to buy it in the half gallon bags, they always have cheap bananas, and their bread is very reasonable.

I just love the fact that they could raise their egg prices more and still be cheaper than other stores, but they don't.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

mine even has organic chicken breast. who knew! and I love their coffee gelato

Milwaukee area resident. I still think the eggs are finely priced and have not curbed my egg habit

Well if I wasn't sold before I am now. Thanks!

Our daycare has laying hens and the kids harvest these and help making breakfast. Kenosha just updated their law allowing city residents to keep laying hens in their yards. It's on the project list once I finish the basement.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Eggs here are cheap. Get your own chickens? you'll have more eggs than you'll know what to do with! Or go for the carton of egg-whites for a while. You can dehydrate your own meats for jerkey to avoid the high sodium. Cook up a package of turkey bacon and keep it in the fridge and snack on that.

I don't think my landlord would like a bunch of chickens wandering around my apartment. If I ever buy, that is one of the things I want, in addition to some garden space.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    shellma00 wrote: »
    OH! And chickens are really cheap and low maintenance and they just keep producing eggs... you just have to feed and water them every day.

And provide protection from predators, and routinely scoop out the coop (chicken poo make great compost).
  • LightbulbSeven
    LightbulbSeven Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Quick grits with cheese has around 13 grams of protein but it is a bit higher in calories unless you cut the serving size down a bit or use low fat/ fat free cheese. Lots of cracked pepper is nice and maybe a few dashes of hot sauce. I never knew there was an egg shortage. Eggs are a dollar to a buck and a half a dozen on average unless you get fancy brands around here. I had a rooster named Tucky but of course he was no help on ending the egg shortage. Good luck
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    + 1 person amazed at the low egg prices there. In Australia, free range are around $5 a dozen, last I looked.
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Also, anybody have any protein breakfast ideas that do not contain eggs but are about 100-150 calories? I'm not sure I want to go up to 4 a day but I want to add more protein in the morning. I already eat Greek yogurt for other meals and I really like my 2 hard cooked eggs as a bedtime snack.

You can buy small tins of different types of tuna with around 125 calories each. You could have one with a couple of water crackers. I sometimes have slightly larger tins with crackers for lunch.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    +1 on Kwik Trip. At my family's cabin, it's the *only* decent store in the area. Nearest grocery store is 12 more miles.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I like the Morning star Hot and Spicy Sausage patties. I love sausage and these satiate my need for the real hi-fat deal. They taste good and only 80cal per patty. However, they are not near as juicy as the real deal so I mix 'em with other things to balance moisture. I like to nuke a couple patties, chop 'em up, and mix them with some egg beaters (nuked). The patties have 10g protein each and 5g per serving of egg beater. I keep some things in the fridge to mix flavors up a bit - jalapenos, roasted bell pepper, fresh salsa in season, ripe roma, etc. Oh, and my hot sauce is always available for a quick dash of bang. It is fast, it is easy, and it is tasty.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    what do you mean holding off at going up to 4?

you mean like not eating 4 a day? why not- other than the cost? I eat 5-6 a night- usaully 3 whole and 3 white- sometimes I bump to 4 whites.

it's fine.
    I'm just incredulous that you consider $2 a dozen expensive.

indeed.
    that's pretty standard- I'm getting pissy that 2 dozen is like 8-9 bucks. That's getting a little absurd- considering I go through a half dozen almost every day.

@JoRocka I want to hold off on eating more eggs because I am already going over my fat macro many days thanks to cheese, almonds, and the 2 eggs I already eat. This keep my protein macro smaller than it should be.

@Steve_ApexNC Thanks for the idea. I made this with the maple sausages this morning. After I bought them, I realized I still have some turkey sausage links in the freezer so I will use them up too.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I pay €1,50 for 6 Organic free range eggs.
    We could get eggs much cheaper, but we get them from a retailer that gets them directly from the local farms.
    This way the farmer gets a better price than from large supermarket chains, and we know the chickens are treated well.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    We have Kwik Trips down South here too - I very rarely go in so I had no idea about the deals there but will check things out next time I'm by there.