Eating over at a friends house tonight

Options
I just got invited to dinner at a friends house. She said she was going to make ribs (not sure what else, if anything) I almost don't want to go because I can't weigh my food out or anything. At a restaurant you can at least get a close enough calorie count on the food from their website but I will have absolutely no idea how much I'm going to be eating. Any tips?

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Just count the number of ribs. When in doubt, eat a small snack before and eat in moderation.

Don't let food dictate your social life.
  • DaliaMaria1173
    DaliaMaria1173 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can usually estimate ribs visually (1 small, medium, large rib, etc.). Ask her if she can leave some without sauce (say you prefer them plain). Ask her if there will be salad, otherwise offer to bring one. Add your dressing separately (you can bring that too). Keep sides to a minimum. Other than that, don't sweat it. As long as you don't go nuts, one dinner should not derail your efforts. Gotta live a little.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a similar situation, I just keep it light throughout the day so I have ~800-1000 cal left over from the maintenance allowance, and when I get there I load up on veggies and drink water, and go light on the scary meats, casseroles and deserts. Try to focus more on conversation and enjoy your night out. Good luck!
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sorry, double posted
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    go to dinner...have a reasonable serving of food...don't let the food scale and calorie counting control your entire life. It's times like this when I realize what a negative impact calorie counting and whatnot really can have on a lot of people...and I was one of those people.

It's just a tool...it shouldn't control your life...you shouldn't be afraid to leave home without a food scale...you should be able to eyeball a reasonable portion of food. It's this kind of crap that ultimate led me to stop counting and I've been free of it for over 2 years...I've maintained, deliberately bulked, and cut just using plain old common sense and not counting a darned thing.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Ask your friend what sides she is going to have as you would like to bring something. If she says things you don't want to hear like maybe potato salad or macaroni salad as maybe you don't want the extra carbs or starches, you can then opt to bring a garden salad or veggie platter or corn on the cob or coleslaw. Eye ball the portion and eat reasonably and you will be fine. Enjoy your time with your friend. Try to not obsess so much over food. You will begin to learn that this is not a diet but a lifestyle and you will learn to balance family, fun festivities and food over time comfortably.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Social occasions and holidays happen. It's part of life, don't avoid them.

So what if you go over today? You're not going to gain back all of your lost weight. At most you'll have a smaller deficit this week with little to no loss. Big deal. In terms of the rest of your life, one week, one day, is nothing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat it, never accept the invitation. You don't have to eat a ton, but if you accept and go, you have to eat some.

One day won't kill you! Enjoy it, no shame, log it and continue your plan afterwards.

And have fun. :)
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Your diet shouldn't determine your lifestyle. One day won't ruin your progress in any case. Go, have a good time, watch your portion size, log an estimate, and move on.