eating at resturants

Options
HarleyQuinn34
HarleyQuinn34 Posts: 38 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I have a unhealthy relationship with food- i know this. that is why I have 100 lbs to lose

i am trying to retrain my brain to look at food as fuel. right now i prepare my meals at home- i haven't been good at logging food but 99% of my days consist of steel cut oats for breakfast- grilled chicken (about 5 oz) with veggies and a little homemade mango salsa for lunch - chicken or Salmon for dinner

i know i cant eat the same meals forever but while i am learning how to really look at food and calories i like knowing exactly what i am eating.

next week i need to go to lunch with an executive at the company i work for (my boss's boss's boss haha) and 3 other people- so it will be a small group. I need to figure out how to choose the healthiest lunch item i can without seeming like i'm freaking out over calories.

any tips or tricks when eating out at restaurants?? i did view the restaurant's menu online hoping they would have nutrition information but of course they don't

Replies

• megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Will you know where you're going ahead of time? If so, you can probably find the menu online and decide before you go what you'll order.
    Also, don't stress about it too much. Yes, you want to make a healthy choice, but it's one day out of many days ahead in your weight loss journey.
  • HarleyQuinn34
    Options
    they do have a menu online- but no nutrition information to go with it

i'm thinking this sounds alright:

Roasted Corn & Avocado Salad
    Mixed greens, tomatoes, pistachios, queso fresco, chili-lime vinaigrette

-and having them add grilled chicken to it

-the dressing is the only thing that worries me bc i know there can be a lot of hidden calories in dressing, but i suppose i could always get it on the side
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I actually am having this issue today as well. I was going to make a post about it! I typically pre-log my meals for the week and I like the satisfaction of knowing exactly what I'm going to be eating for breakfast/lunch/dinner and any "bonus" snacks that I can look forward to all within my calorie budget for the day/week. A friend reminded me that I had agreed to go out to dinner with him tonight and now I'm having insane anxiety about it, because it's throwing my week off..yes, I'm a bit of a control freak/OCD. I suggest checking the online menu if you know where you're going. For me, I'm heading to Longhorn Steakhouse and I really want a salad and an alcoholic beverage. The salad that I love, however, is 1,000+ calories - which I'm assuming is due to the fact that they include a "mixed in" dressing and added chicken..neither of which I get. Therefore I just make a random guess, log it and be done with it. I'll try and do better tomorrow ;)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Avoid menu items described as "creamy," "breaded," "crisp," "sauced," "stuffed," "battered," buttery," etc. avoid anything with cream-based sauces, like alfredo. Tomato-based sauces are better. Go for grilled, steamed, baked, roasted, poached or broiled. If it's an entree that comes with potatoes, french fries, etc., ask if you can have vegetables or fruit instead. If you have a salad, beware of bacon, croutons ,nuts, cheese and other ingredients that have a lot of calories. Ask for the salad dressing on the side. Don't eat the bread.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I saw you looked at the menu and there was no nutritional information. You could try calling the restaurant and either get recommendations or if they gave you the proportions of the dish you could plug them into the diary and figure it out yourself.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    You plan sounds pretty good of having the salad with chicken and dressing on the side.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it too much if you don't go out much, but between the avocado,the corn, the dressing, and the pistachios, you might be looking at a pretty high calorie salad.

If you post the link to the menu maybe we can help though?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    You plan sounds pretty good of having the salad with chicken and dressing on the side.

Do this. It's the easiest thing and you can control how much of the dressing you put on.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    they do have a menu online- but no nutrition information to go with it

i'm thinking this sounds alright:

Roasted Corn & Avocado Salad
    Mixed greens, tomatoes, pistachios, queso fresco, chili-lime vinaigrette

-and having them add grilled chicken to it

-the dressing is the only thing that worries me bc i know there can be a lot of hidden calories in dressing, but i suppose i could always get it on the side

No cheese (queso fresco), dressing on the side, you may want to lose the avocado depending on your fat macros. It may contain tortilla strips..have those taken off, too. You're good to go.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Avoid menu items described as "creamy," "breaded," "crisp," "sauced," "stuffed," "battered," buttery," etc. avoid anything with cream-based sauces, like alfredo. Tomato-based sauces are better. Go for grilled, steamed, baked, roasted, poached or broiled. If it's an entree that comes with potatoes, french fries, etc., ask if you can have vegetables or fruit instead. If you have a salad, beware of bacon, croutons ,nuts, cheese and other ingredients that have a lot of calories. Ask for the salad dressing on the side. Don't eat the bread.

This is the best advice, you just have to learn how to read the menu. I have also found that most restaurants can make you a regular grilled chicken breast, even if it's not on the menu.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....if you don't want to seem like you're freaking out over calories, as you say, especially in the important company you'll be with don't order the "Roasted Corn & Avocado Salad with no avocado, cheese, pistachios, and dressing on the side." That's a pretty conspicuous order, and you'll likely draw attention to yourself. Fine with friends, maybe not so good with your boss's boss's boss.

But it is good to check out the menu beforehand, make a decision, and do your best to log it. And then move on and back to your routine. This sounds like an important outing, not something common.
  • HarleyQuinn34
    Options
    thanks for all the advice! i think in the end- i'm just gonna enjoy the lunch for whatever it is- eat a lighter breakfast and a lighter dinner- and then move on. I don't want my own anxiety about the food to be on my mind to the point where i cant focus on the meeting- which is more important than one meal

although if anyone wants voice opinions about what sounds best on the menu here it is
    http://hubdowntown.com/menu/

thanks for all the input!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    The Seared Ahi salad is money.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Fish, veggies, and a baked potato. Plus one on the seared ahi salad.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are my downfall. 1. I eat out often for work and b/c wife likes to go out 2-4 X week. 2. I am a picky eater and don't eat any seafood and most veggies so many of the healthy options are off the table for me and 3. I just love a good burger/fries or other high carb/calorie foods.

I just try to make good decisions on the food I like and also will search nutritional information ahead of time. For example, I am a meat & potatoes guy so instead of burger & fries and I will order a steak, side salad and maybe sweet potato.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at that menu. I'd likely pick the Seared Ahi Salad. I'd probably ask about the Soup of the Day, and if it is not a creamy or cheesy soup, I might have a small cup of soup too.

I think there is also value in remembering that sometimes at a business lunch, its better to be inconspicuous and not have your order stick out. Especially if you do not eat out often, just enjoy it! restaurant meals are often rather heavy on salt, so you might retain a little water for a few days after (eyes wide open).

If you don't eat out very often, my advice is not to sweat it too much. We didn't gain our excess weight from one meal out, so we can rest assured that we won't undo all of our hard work with one restaurant outing, either.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    That menu has a great craft beer list. If it wasn't for work I'd say screw the food and just get yourself a Bells Oberon wheat or the milk stout. Bells just started distributing in Delaware. They have impressed me with their beery goodness.
  • HarleyQuinn34
    Options
    hahaha it does have a nice beer list- sadly since it's for work no beer for me
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    grilled meat
    grilled/sauteed veggies

any dressings ask for on the side.

it's pretty much the easiest way to go and the "safest". You can ball park an entry off the site- if I can't find the exact one- I just look at several of the same name listing- and mentally average the numbers out and pick the one that's the average. Usually it's like multiple guess- there is at least 1 or 2 that are CLEARLY wrong- i.e potato salad at applebees for like 50 calories. HA HA HA HA HA

So- go with a meat and a veggie- and any dressings go on the side- drink water- skip a beverage then guess your calories. One day of not being 100% accurate won't do damage.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd get the salmon with sauce on the side.