Logging a whole chicken

I've struggled to figure out how best to log the chicken I am eating. This is what I am currently doing:

I buy a whole chicken.
Grill it with only enough oil to keep it from sticking.
As it is cooling, I take the skin off and discard, and bone the chicken, leaving it in bite sized pieces. I let the chicken drain in a strainer while it finishes cooling to allow the fat to drip off.
Then I measure it out into 8oz servings for the week.

I'm not exactly sure what would be the best way estimate the calories and macro nutrients for this. Any suggestions?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    JarethG wrote: »
    If you're eating 8oz of roasted chicken, you go to the food tracking thingy.
    In the search boxy thingy you type in roast chicken.
    Choose the USDA thingy that comes up in the thingy.
    Put in 8 ounces. Done.

• JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    JarethG wrote: »
    If you're eating 8oz of roasted chicken, you go to the food tracking thingy.
    In the search boxy thingy you type in roast chicken.
    Choose the USDA thingy that comes up in the thingy.
    Put in 8 ounces. Done.

THIS ^^^^^
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    If it's a whole chicken, it's easiest to weigh it and use an entry for cooked chicken (based on how you cooked it). You should identify the part of the chicken the meat comes from--the entries separate based on that. So if you combine breast and leg meat you'd weigh them separately and log each.

The good (non asterisk) entries look like: "chicken-breast, meat only, cooked, roasted" or "chicken-thigh, meat only, cooked roasted." I believe there's now a bit about fryer or roaster too, but you don't need that to find the good entries.
  • irishshorti
    irishshorti Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks!!