Affordable high protein food ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken from Costco. The best-tasting around. $4.99 for a three pound chicken.

WOW! I actually think we're getting one built in my area soon.

OP....great tips up above...
  • mirlredmann
    mirlredmann Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    really, all sorts of pulses - I am cutting out more and more grains from my diet, substituting with pulses, rather than eating them additionally because they contain more than enough carbs along with being fairly high in protein. I try not to eat meat every day and I get tired of eggs, for me dairy is an option, but all dairy contains whey, right? I also buy my nuts from the baking isle rather than the snacks corner, in Germany that halves the prices..
  • CindyRoseMarie
    CindyRoseMarie Posts: 28 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Actually beans can be very portable. Mix some cooked rice an beans (I like black beans) together and spread on a tortilla. Sprinkle on some grated cheddar and a little salsa and fold into a burrito. Good stuff :) Oh yeah, you can also make a great mock chicken or tuna salad with chickpeas, google it, there are many recipes for them on line. Lentils are also a very good source of protein.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I get pretty much all my protein (100g+) from milk, chicken, eggs and plain greek yogurt. I ran out of whey a week or so ago and haven't had a chance to buy more, so I know how much of a struggle it can be without it!

I also read somewhere on here before that kraft fat free cheese has a surprisingly high amount of protein. I haven't bought it, but I'd assume that it'd be cheap.

Other cheap ish protein sources: chickpeas, those high protein breads, oat bran