Why does it have to be so hard to lose??????

Options
Emotional eating sucks..... any tips????

Replies

• mtovmassian
    mtovmassian Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater too. I try to exercise before I reach for food. eg walk the dog, 10 burpees, 50 quick squats. Most of the time, I don't feel like eating empty calories afterwards.
  • cship611
    cship611 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's tough! I want to head right for sugar when I'm feeling down, but I find that if I can make it a week without any added sugars my triggers abs need for it sharply decline. I also make sure to have natural sugars, fruits within reach.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What's in your cupboard? I have cocoa powder, taco seasoning, a bag of rice I'll never cook, and tea. In the fridge? Carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, meat, laughing cow cheese, yogurt...Yes, I eat chocolate and ice cream. But I don't have big tubs of things lying around. When I feel the need to EAT I have things that won't break the bank too badly, or I have a serving of something I bought for the day and pre-logged in my diary.
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Emotion regulation! :)
    Also, I would encourage you to write before you go and eat to see if that helps!
  • suzie4quzie
    suzie4quzie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips....
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Another tip, which may seem counter-intuitive, but *may* work, is to de-fuse the emotional eating by acknowledging the feelings and the desire to eat, saying: "I am having this donut because I am feeling <emotion> *and that's okay*."

I have found, for myself, that if I say, "I am grumpy and my boss is a jerk, and so I am going to eat all the pastries (and release all the serotonin!!!)!" that I then no longer need to actually eat them. I have given myself permission to do so, I have acknowledged the feelings underlying the desire to eat, and I feel better.
  • HeatherPills
    HeatherPills Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater too! I find that most of the time, having a large glass of water before eating anything helps me kick the craving. If it doesn't, then I will allow myself to have what I am craving, but I portion out one serving and then put the rest away.
  • Yezza
    Yezza Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I believe the most important aspect of tackling emotional eating would be to identify your triggers, perhaps on the short-term some tips will help you counter it (writing for example is a good method). Find out what your triggers are first; stress? Boredom? Filling an emptiness? Childhood habit? Socially influenced? Once you can identify some of your triggers the next step would be to create a more detailed form of a food diary that also delves into the emotional and psychological aspect of it.

Write it all down in your "food & mood" diary:
    * What you ate (or wanted to eat).
    * What happened to upset you.
    * How you felt before you ate.
    * What you felt as you were eating.
    * How you felt afterward.

Once you can identify quite accurately what causes the emotional eating, you can then take measures to prevent it. (Even by recognising really early symptoms, for example, you might start thinking about a stressful task you have to do which then eventually leads to eating when you're not physically hungry).

Essentially I am describing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in less detail... This is definitely more of a "psychology" topic than a "Diet tips" topic... So this is probably not what you're after but if this sparks an interest I suggest doing some searching up on CBT and tailor-fitting it to your problem.

Good luck!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    pretty much what everyone else has said _is great advice .. I have'nt got over my emotional eating completely and probably wont anytime soon.Heres some of the things I did to help me . First and for most*>rid of the cookies cakes and doughnuts ^^.I still eat them but* i'd have to go out and buy them. when I do I try not to get a big package of any them .. secondly , I added more fruits and veggies .(at first I was'nt eating any at all =.=)
    thirdly..... > I drink water I might be dehydrated ..* so what ever I emotional eat on that might be trigger food ..I.. have little to none of it around. fourthly > I workout or walk a bit extra when I feel the need to go on an eating rampage...These are just some of the things I do and maybe tips helpful for you too

.. and many others ..

• audreys2015
    audreys2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I'm an emotional eater, too. Ever since I was younger, I'd just go to the fridge and I used to be able to eat anything...then just exercise and I'd be good. Well, not anymore!! I can't buy the "trigger" food. I just can't do it. In a pinch, I'll have a few chocolate chips, some water and tell myself - 'you don't need the crap!' and that usually dissolves my craving. I wish you luck, you can do it...believe in yourself!!
  • Northernlight03
    Northernlight03 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I am a emotional eater as well and unfortunately it happens when I'm sad and down and also when I'm happy and I'm like hell lets go out for tea or let get treats and have night in with a bottle of wine. But Iv got it under control at the min. We have to change the way we think and approach food to be able to control it.
  • AdvAakanksha
    AdvAakanksha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am emotional eater too. But now I keep my kitchen stocked with fresh fruits n veggies. So when I am sad or really happy, I eat fruit salad.. unlimited ;) or other healthy alternatives so later I feel less guilty. When I m really depressed and want to eat junk food.. I try to control my hunger for 10 minutes , after that I no longer feel like to that crap , n of then also I feel like to eat something, I try to cook it at home ( it may have oil, butter , suagr, calories bt its free from preservatives, additives etc. N less harmful)
  • alley292
    alley292 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm alysia would like some friends on my journey I'm new so add if you want I need to loose 120Pounds thank you
  • Elisabuffy19
    Elisabuffy19 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Try to identify some other emotion helpers and start doing them more so that food as a helper isn't your numero uno. Like excercise (a good walk or run), or a nap, or getting your nails done, or taking a bath every night, or talking to friends...one you start replacing food with a new habit it won't be as hard. Also, I do eat when I'm stressed or tired but I try to grab something low cal like yogurt with cocoa powder & splenda, before real ice cream. Or carrots & a tbsp of ranch before chips. Also focus on a timer. Put a timer on in your kitchen and give yourself 20 minutes to breathe, move around, shower, before you eat.
  • diamante07cg
    diamante07cg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This app is a great start! If you use the tools available on it. Like tracking your calories, so you're "aware" of what goes in. Also checking out the BLOG section on it. Soooooooo much knowledgeable information.
    KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! So it really doesn't have to be so hard, once you understand it better. Good luck! :)