This year will be THE year.

Options
ninzaburoz
ninzaburoz Posts: 3 Member
Hey everyone. I was browsing the forums and thought I would join the posting brigade.

I recently turned 30 and thought it was time to take responsibility for my health, appearance, and mental well-being. I have always worked and been a student for as long as I can remember. Over the last two years, I have found myself struggling to do much of anything much less care about what I was eating. With stress levels being so high, sleep became a thing of the past and my memory started to work against me. I was forgetting everything! and ALL the time!

With the change over in national insurance standards, I went to see a doctor for the first time in 9 years and the news wasn't good. I had the blood of an athlete but something was off. After more testing I was told I would have to manage Hashimoto's (hypothyroid symptoms) for the rest of my life and they signed me a prescription for a synthetic hormone. Next to that there were cancerous issues that needed my attention as well, but none of them can be handled until I'm in a better condition. All of this came to light only a few weeks ago.

When I received the news, I had just breached the 280lbs line. Not something to be proud of.

I was told to take the no carb/low carb route and see how my body would handle it. It's been 2 weeks and I'm down 19 pounds (hopefully not all water weight lol). I've started sleeping through the night and found myself to not be so groggy throughout the day. Already the signs of improvement are enough to keep me going, but that doesn't mean I'm not craving things that would usually comfort me. So much of me wants to give into drinking cokes, eating pastries for breakfast and burgers every night for dinner.

Breaking any habit is hard, so if you're in the same boat as me, don't feel like you have to do it alone. Friend me and we can keep each other going! I'm always looking for new low carb recipes to change up my eating routine. Soon, I would like to add some workouts to my routine and would love some pointers, suggestions, and advice in the area.

Happy health hunting,
Stefanie (Ninzaburoz)

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The worst thing you can do is deprive yourself, so be sure not to do that and eat something you like once in a while. Unless you've got underlying health issues, there's no reason not to.

If what you're doing works, that's fantastic but depriving yourself because you feel like you have to in order to be successful is only going to sabatage you in the long run. The true "trick" to this isn't a trick at all, not a gimmick or special science. There's no reason to be miserable during the process and you'll have much better success if you are enjoying what you are doing and eating.

:)
  • CindyRoseMarie
    CindyRoseMarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Stefanie, sorry to hear that you're going through such a difficult time but glad to see that you're working at changing your situation. As for me, I've dealt with IBS (also known as a Spastic Colon) for the past 33 years, food plays a BIG part in how my day goes. I find that not allowing carbs to build up in my system helps a lot. I can do some, but try to keep it to a minimum, for example, if I have bread in the morning, no other breads, pasta's. . . for the remainder of the day. You can do this!
  • ninzaburoz
    ninzaburoz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies! Thanks for the advice and motivation.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard Stefanie!

The research around thyroid disorders have come a long way and the science is changing almost daily. You should try to keep your TSH levels between 0.3 and 3.0. Assuming you're on Synthroid/levothyroxine you'll need to establish and stick to a routine and force yourself to be interested in things. Keep track of your daily activities on MFP and keep tabs on how you feel.

There is a massive mental element to this, but nothing you cannot overcome with a positive outlook. You mention you've always been a student - pour your energy into your chosen field and keep your mind occupied. Remove yourself from negative people and triggers wherever possible.

I don't want to contradict medical recommendations, but never keen on elimination diets if there's no allergy involved. Just stick to small changes, maintain a modest caloric deficit and exercise as your body will allow. Make small goals and once you hit them, celebrate and make new small goals. Think marathon over sprint.

You got this!
  • Caligirl4soccer
    Caligirl4soccer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Start walking. The more steps in a day the better.
  • NotThatGirlAnymore
    NotThatGirlAnymore Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have hypothyroidism, and I completely understand how you've been feeling... you're going to feel like a completely different person once your thyroid is regulated!! :)
  • jlschwartz1969
    jlschwartz1969 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! My husband and I are both starting to track our food here. I also have thyroid issues and I can tell when I haven't been taking my medicine regularly enough. I am hoping to find some buddies here.
  • lolarae808
    lolarae808 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. It is so inspiring to me as I start over again. A visit to my doctor on 6/22 made up my mind for me about if I really needed to get serious about changing my life or not. I'm rooting for you!!
  • jo603722
    jo603722 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We are soo similar. Only I am dreading my appt in July. I known I'm on the verge if not already diabetic. Ugh... 31 days ago I quit smoking. And yesterday I decided it's time to get fit. I weigh your starting weight. And it makes me sick. I also work all the time and always go to school. I will be 41 next month the day my next physical is scheduled. I'm hoping to get back into walking and being active and confident! I'm in with ya! Let's do this!