huge weight gain after 2 day break from diet

Options
So i took off 2 days because i was at a plateau and could not lose anymore. So thats what i did, now i should be clear i did eat a few bad things (like cheesecake) and drank about half of my usual water intake. But today i woke up ready to be back on track and i have gained 7.2 lbs. Now i am praying this is mostly water weight since there is no earthly way i ate 24500 calories in 2 days! Has this ever happened to anyone? do i have reason to be alarmed? If i end up having to work off these lbs as hard as the first time, this will be the last 2 day break i ever take! even after analyzing everything i ate, i barely came in at about 3000 calories each day and i still got 30 minutes of exercise both days and didnt eat anything fried. Let me know what you guys think.

Replies

• SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    It happens...I took a 3 day weekend and wasn't really careful and gained 9 lbs. - it all came off the next week plus 2 more. I'd say get back on track and you'll be fine! Congrats on the weightloss so far!!!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    it's probably water weight! it should be gone within a few days.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight. When you resumed "normal" eating, the body went through a little adjustment, the same way it does when you actually start cutting cals. Within a few days, you should be back to where you were.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I gained 5lbs after eating Chinese Food one night. So yeah, it's likely salt. It came off 2-3 days later.
  • aeagles
    aeagles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes, as well, and I'll be interested to hear what people think. My weight gain after 2 days off has been between 2 and 5lbs. Like you said, maybe water weight from carbs and don't forget water weight from sodium!
  • Mando55
    Mando55 Posts: 140
    Options
    Water and sodium. Get right back to it and it shall come off again.
  • sammac7
    sammac7 Posts: 3
    Options
    That happened to me so I reduced my salt and got back into my normal eating habits, and it was gone within a couple of days!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    It happens to me almost every weekend :-). Good news is that it is mostly water weight and should go away fairly quickly once you get back on track.

I always say I would have been @ my target weight a long time ago if it weren't for weekends.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think your scale is on crack!? That's crazy, it has to be water weight or something like that. There is no way you gained that much back in 2 days. Drink water like it's your job and see what happens in the next few days!
  • mwatley
    mwatley Posts: 1
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of dieting. My body has done this too. I am scared. My first break will be the 2nd week in June and I bet I'll be right there with you. That's is why I had to learn that this is a lifestyle and not a diet. There are no "breaks" in life. From experience, the weight you gained should drop fairly quickly when you get back on, but let this be a lesson. Your body wants less and now you see hot it reacts. It sucks and its not fair. No better answer for you. But it should come off quick, not like when you first tried to work to drop the 7 lbs, but if you keep doing it, I have found that it gets harder each time and it will not drop as fast and your back to square one before you know it. KEEP IT UP!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! I bring little measuring tools with me to indulge in moderation since I still lie to myself about serving sizes (especially alcohol).
    Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!!!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    drink a ton of extra water today to flush out your system. Its just water weight.
  • Westly
    Westly Posts: 6
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's probably just your body holding on to water. Drink a bunch to flush that salt out (But not too much!!)
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    this happened to me

i went home for a family birthday, i ate egg and chips, half a small pizza(like 6"pizza) and a piece of birthday cake...otherwise i was super healthy, got home and i gained a whole 9lbs!!!!

boy did i freak out!

i carried on eating super healthy and working out and the next few days i dropped about 2-3lbs a day so dropped the 9lbs and an extra couple on top which broke my plateu

don't stress it too much, just carry on as normal and it should drop off quickly xx
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    Yup.. Happens to me all the time.. I recently switched my idea of having a "cheat" day and now still give myself a calorie goal (be it higher than most other days) to enjoy food I wouldnt normally.. Hoping to avoid the heart attack of a 7 pound gain.... Even if it is just water weight.... It'll come off.... Water Water Water.. and throw a good work out or two in there.. sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 days.. but it'll come off.. No worries :D
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I laugh when i read the statement. I ate like a normal person does. Define eat like a normal person? I'm not on a diet. I'm eating more sensibly and healthy and the weight just fell off. I'm not going to go back to eating like the rest of the fat people do now. Eat to live not live to eat.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Wow - this is scary! Makes me regret those Hershey Kisses I convinced myself that I "needed" today. These posts are also another reason I only weigh myself once a week - I think it would be so crushing if I weighed myself after getting off track for a few days.
    I hope you're feeling better (and am sure you can blast off those pounds!)
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It's to be expected and is almost entirely water. It may take several days to loose though, so don't be discouraged.

Today is a new day! Get back on track!
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me last weekend! So frustrated to have not lost weight after trying so hard and then gain so easily even if it is water weight. Mine has gone down by 1 or 2 but still up by a net of 3! Trying to slim down for a Mid June vaca and this really set me back. Who knows how much I will gain on a 10 day vaca where I'm not in charge of what I eat since we are staying with family:(. Hang in there. The alternative is to keep gaining!