Can't get out of my own way

Options
Keep doing what doesn't work. How do you break that trap? Words of encouragement appreciated! :)

Replies

• koutwater
    koutwater Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Surround yourself with like- minded positive people who encourage you! I have a fitness page on Facebook you can follow where I offer great eating and workout info. And encouragement;) check out KO Fit. You got this!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You set small, sustainable goals. Walk for 10 minutes a day. Cut your usual serving of ice cream (or chips, or whatever) in half. Drink an extra glass of water. Tackle those small things - they become habits. Celebrate them. Set new goals. Repeat.

That's how I lost 83 pounds :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Take responsibility, become knowledgeable and the path becomes clearer.
  • missmantz2129
    missmantz2129 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Got to keep perspective!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I had to drive different roads so that I did not pass the fast food stops on the way home. I also moved a lot of stuff off of the kitchen counters so I could have room for the foods and tools that fit into my life style such as a kitchen scale and handy plastic containers to pack foods in the fridge after cooking and cooling. I also cleared out the pantry (dumped stuff, brought in new stuff).
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Shake up your routine to make old habits easier to break and new ones easier to form!
  • PuckTard
    PuckTard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Change doesn't happen overnight. Don't beat yourself up over the little things and just keep going! My goal is to be a better version of myself today than I was yesterday. 8 weeks ago I was a soda chugging, junk food munching, never motivated to workout kind of person. As of today, I have had one soda in 7 weeks, 1 to 2 junk food items a week (correct or half portions of course!), and I workout 4-6 days a week. I'm a long way from where I want to be... but I've also come a long way in what seems to me to be a short period of time. If you're feeling stuck in a rut, change things up. :smile:
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    These are all good ideas. I get stuck in ruts a lot. And then I get bored and frustrated and angry with myself for not changing more. But baby steps add up. I'm not very good at celebrating wins either. I feel like every win is temporary and I expect to backslide. So these are good tips if I can follow them.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Stop doing what doesn't work. Seriously. It sounds like you have some idea of what didn't work. WONDERFUL. That means this time you can try something that can work.

Without knowing anything at all about you, what didn't work, and trap breaking, I'll take a teensy stab at it.

Counting calories and eating at a deficit WILL work. It DOES work. It works BEST (at least for me so that will be my opinion on what best is) to do a minimal calorie reduction. Have a realistic goal about your weight loss and the time you intend to take doing it. Set a goal that you can MAINTAIN. Maybe for you that is 2 pounds a week...if so great. Maybe you find that half a pound a week is better. That will still get you to 24 pounds lost in a year. I know most (again based not on science but what I see here and hear here over and over and over) people seem to want to lose 24 pounds in 2 months, and are unhappy losing 10 pounds a month. Or 5 pounds a month. My take is those people are just unhappy. Any weight loss and healthier lifestyle changes are success to me. I like to be successful :)

To break the trap, set yourself up with something that you CAN do. REALISTIC expectations. Even if you aimed for losing a quarter of a pound a week, you would still lose 12 pounds a year. That sounds like a plan that works to me! And very possible for just about anybody. Again, REALISTIC expectations over a longer period of time. That plan is hard to fail at.

Words of encouragement: Stick with it. Give this a reasonable amount of time. Do not expect overnight results. Calorie deficit over time does work to lose weight. It works very well in fact. No starving needed, no forbidden foods, no hours in the gym and no activity whatsoever needed (some of us just can't). Think about what you want. Think about what you can do to be successful. And then do it!
  • missmantz2129
    missmantz2129 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am feeling motivated today. I have a pretty low calorie budget- 1250, how many calories less would work?