Vanilla Protein Powder

Options
TeriaShae
TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
Today I got some vanilla protein powder; 110 calories, 0g. fat, 0g. carb, & 25g. protein!

I am looking to make a healthy, yet low calorie protein shake. I prefer it to be under 250-300 calories considering it will be my meal 1 for the day and I am still trying to lose weight.

I thought about making a peanut butter protein shake using:
- 1 cup of unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- PB2/nut butter (depending on my fats)
- Ice

Does anyone else have some good recipes?

Replies

• Raaneve
    Raaneve Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My personal fav:

Mixed Berry Protein Smoothie - 230 calories total

(...and yes, I weigh everything on a digital scale)

1c (240ml) unsweetened original almond milk - 30 calories
    1c (140g) mixed frozen berries - 80 calories (I like the GFS "Burst O Berries" mix)
    1 scoop (31g) protein powder - 120 calories (I use BodyLogix Natural Vanilla)

If you simply *must* have it sweeter than the berries and whey protein are naturally, add a touch of the zero calorie sweetener of your choice.

Blend until smooth, usually about 30 seconds or so. I leave the berries frozen so I don't need to add extra ice.
  • TeriaShae
    Options
    Good idea. I could also do a pb&j one using frozen berries & pb2. Mmmmm.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty basic - I generally prefer vanilla w/ a simple fruit combination and I always add about 2 C of baby spinach or baby spinach/kale mixture. I have a really good blender and although the color can be a bit odd, I don't notice any taste. I even add it to the coffee drink. One C of baby spinach only adds about 7 calories, but it has 1 g protein, so in addition to being a good source of nutrients, it gives the drink a little extra protein boost.

coffee w/ vanilla or choc protein powder, milk, and ice w/ sweetener and possibly cocoa powder - good alternative to iced coffee or frappuccino

(the fruit ones are almost always done with frozen fruits)

vanilla w/ strawberries & peaches

vanilla or choc w/ cherries

vanilla w/ blueberries

vanilla w/ orange juice and ice - mock Orange Julius if you know of these - this one's a bit higher in calories, but would still be under the 300 mark.

If you stay away from adding juices or too much honey/sugar and don't use too many bananas, it's going to be pretty easy to keep it under 300 calories. I would go for a mixture of fruits you like plus add some greens for the nutrients they provide.

Try googling smoothie recipes - there are tons that don't use protein powder but protein powder could easily be subbed. I'm planning on trying a pina colada shake in the near future!

Another thing I've noticed - when I add the protein powder before blending everything else, it gets very voluminous - likes doubles in volume. I now blend my fruit/liquid base and ice first, then add the protein powder and blend just until it's done.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Half frozen banana, half cup berries, almond milk,nut butter(pb2), protein powder ice blend.
  • gymnastmom166
    gymnastmom166 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    TeriaShae wrote: »
    Today I got some vanilla protein powder; 110 calories, 0g. fat, 0g. carb, & 25g. protein!

I am looking to make a healthy, yet low calorie protein shake. I prefer it to be under 250-300 calories considering it will be my meal 1 for the day and I am still trying to lose weight.

- Ice

• gymnastmom166
    gymnastmom166 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about vanilla is you can make it ANY flavor you want! Try adding a Tbsp or 2 of sugar free instant pudding. Also you can get a lot of different kinds of flavor drops. My kids now love to make smoothies for breakfast.
  • sherbrewer
    sherbrewer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make my friend's protein drink. WheyPro powder has 25 grams, add 1 cup of 2 percent milk to make 34 grams, along with a heaping T. of coffee crystals and a cup of ice. Fabulous.
  • msbonnieblueyes
    msbonnieblueyes Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just experiment...I have always used fruit and a few almonds for smoothies and recently began experimenting with chocolate protein powder. I came up with chocolate peanut butter...
    1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder
    2 tbsp. PB2 or other peanut butter subsititute
    1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    about 1 cup ice
    2 cups spinach
    I always add greens..you can't taste spinach and it adds some good nutrition. I have a specific recipe for kale that I really like
    Good luck!
  • CandiedCarrion
    CandiedCarrion Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I use mine in peach mango smoothies.

One cup of light, vanilla almond milk (40cal).
    Two scoops of protein powder (100cal).
    1/2-1 cup of peaches (60+cal).
    Half cup mango (45cal).

Sometimes I also use blueberry instead of mango, or make strawberry banana, etc.
  • TeriaShae
    Options
    I will definitely try adding greens, great ideas everyone!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If I do a protein shake, I just add it to (cold) coffee - throw in some ice and blend.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My favorite is:
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 C fat free milk
    1 TBS Folgers Instant Cappuccino mix, mocha chocolate (comes in 4 packages, 1 TBS is about a half of pkg)
    1 pkg Truvia
    8-10 ice cubes
    (Blend in standard blender)
    Guarantee you will love this!
  • angiethepriss
    angiethepriss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This makes 2 servings of about 190 cals:

1 container 100 calorie Greek yogurt
    1 scoop protein powder
    1/2 banana
    1 c. Mixed frozen fruit (berries or mango blend)
    1/2 c. Water
    1 cup power greens mix (baby kale, spinach, swiss chard - or any combo of those)

I have one of these for breakfast and it fills me up til lunch time.
  • topathemorning
    topathemorning Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love Costco's Vega Protein Powder..My neice gave me strawberry shakeology that she didn't like. It's a bit too sweet, but I love the Vega with silk almond milk and a banana. My friend uses a Bullet and puts in veggies, fruit and almonds.
  • KaitlynNannery2015
    KaitlynNannery2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    TeriaShae wrote: »

- Ice

I sometimes use a protein shake for breakfast. But I use water because It gives the shake more volume and it fills you. What you're putting in it sounds good especially with the macros the shake has already. Although you are using it as breakfast you can make it your biggest meal and make your other two meals slightly smaller. As for snacks if you choose to do them trail mix & fruit is what I stick to along with quest bars
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    What do you all do to make it thicker? I like thick shakes, but I can never get the consistency right.
  • janette_red
    janette_red Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1 cup of water with 2 tbsp. Chia seeds (soaked overnight)
    1 scoop "Vega Sport" performance protein powder (vanilla or chocolate, I prefer vanilla)
    2 tbsp. Cocoa powder
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries/other berries (or 1 cup if you want)
    Add approx. 1/3 cup of water (if too thick to blend)

Blend in blender. Then add 2 or 3 ice cubes.
    If you want you can add some green vegetables. (I like adding 1 tbsp. Of dried Swiss chard greens to get more vegies.
    This is a nice cold drink for breakfast or lunch. Especially in summer, but I do it all year round. It helps me stay away from too many carbs.

The chia seeds thickened overnight with water and the ice cubes help make it nice ad thick.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    What do you all do to make it thicker? I like thick shakes, but I can never get the consistency right.

I use banana and/or greek yogurt to thicken my shakes. I also don't put too much almond milk in mine.
  • clairempfit
    clairempfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Here's my all time favorite recipe:
    -1/2 scoop Vanilla Protein powder
    -1/2 of a banana
    -2 tbls of PB2
    -1/2 cup of almond milk
    -5 ice cubes

This runs less than 200 cals and fills me up! :) love it!
    (Servings can be increased for your macros)
  • HRmy2015
    HRmy2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Question : is a scoop serving of protein powder to the top of the scoop or to the line in the scoop at handle level ?