Accurate calorie burned from Zumba

Options
I want to track my actual calories burned so I did a little research and I think that a heart monitor watch will do it. What are other Zumba fans using?

Replies

• pbolton16
    pbolton16 Posts: 87
    Options
    I don't do Zumba but other activities that aren't in MFP I want to know what my calories burned are.
    I work with a fitness trainer and she said the watch and heart monitor system is really the only way to find the amount for yourself.
  • shefly
    shefly Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I rely on my Zumba instructor for the total calories burned.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7...

anything with a chest strap will work
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor (with chest strap), and I tend to burn around 600 calories for an hour long class.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7...

+1 I use Polar FT4 and I love it! I used for Zumba Tues nite and burnt 550 in 45 min. I am still on the bigger side and I put everything I had into it!
  • WillWorkout4Food
    WillWorkout4Food Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I took a low average for calories burned. I pretty much went to random websites to find a median to my height and weight, then reduced that by the lowest amount. This way I know I am burning more than I enter into MFP. It's silly, but I'd rather average less than more. I love Zumba. Lately, I raised the intensity and attribute that to the last 3 pounds I lost. Have fun, dance, and lose!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I have a New Balance HRM I got at Target for about $70 that's really nice. My numbers for Zumba tend to fluctuate between 450-600, so it's great to get an accurate number.
  • shells74
    shells74 Posts: 6
    Options
    Does the Polar FT4 come with the chest strip or do you have to buy it separately? I'm looking at the FT7M...
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford a heart rate monitor like myself... log it as "Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist" :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I want to track my actual calories burned so I did a little research and I think that a heart monitor watch will do it. What are other Zumba fans using?

I do Zumba 6 days a week and just enter it as high impact aerobics. I don't know if it's correct or not but I'm losing so I don't worry about it.
  • dusk1977
    dusk1977 Posts: 295
    Options
    I do zumba on the wii and log it as 20mins belly dancing :wink:
  • jjl080809
    jjl080809 Posts: 23
    Options
    I do Zumba and used the comparision to aerobics - general on here and then I got a HRM, they weren't so far off in my case.
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    Polar FT7...

+1 I use Polar FT4 and I love it! I used for Zumba Tues nite and burnt 550 in 45 min. I am still on the bigger side and I put everything I had into it!

I use the FT4 as well and LOVE it! I usually burn close to 700 calories for a little over an hour 3 times a week. I was just adding it in as "dance" pre-HRM and I think I was underestimating.
  • jataijah
    jataijah Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use a polar also. I tend to burn 460-550 a class with my regular instructor. But with another instructor I burn more. Not all instructors do the same intensity. It's best to get a HRM with a chest strap. :)
  • shells74
    shells74 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to get the HRM to class tonight and try it out!
  • kkmark
    kkmark Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have the same Newbalance HRM and i think it work gr8 it shows i burned around 300- 330 cal for 45 min cal

kathy
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump for later :-)