excersice while pregnant?

Options
I just found out yesterday that I am 165 lbs. A number I do not like! I would love to change that ASAP! My problem is I also found out I'm 6 weeks pregnant. Can I excersice to loose wait? Can I loose weight? I am a waitress so I'm constantly walking. And I go on trails with my 2 kids every week. But I want to do more if I can. I gained 30 lbs in 6 months after an altercation with my ex. Now I want to change it!

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Please don't try to lose weight while you're pregnant. You're building an entire person inside your body. Both you and your baby need adequate nutrition.

Talk to your doctor about the best calorie/weight gain goal and activity plan for you. However, in most typical cases, it's perfectly fine to eat at your normal, non-pregnant maintenance for the start of your pregnancy, increasing to a few hundred calories over that as you get farther along. Also, barring any medical conditions that require rest or other modifications, a good rule of thumb on exercise is anything you were doing before you were pregnant is fine to continue doing as long as you aren't encountering any discomfort, but don't start anything new or really up the amount or intensity.

It's a great idea to get in some activity and to monitor your intake during pregnancy. You'll keep your body strong for delivery and most women will "bounce back" more quickly after the baby is born if they've kept up good eating and activity habits during pregnancy. Just make sure you do it in a healthy, doctor-approved way.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor before you do anything. But walking is a great exercise that is recommended as long as you have no complications. But as a rule of thumb, ask your doctor first.
  • tburgardt
    tburgardt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OK. Thank you
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I agree with all of the above.
    Also, if the doctor says it's okay, it is a great idea to do some exercise during pregnancy. It supposedly has great benefits for labour and recovery.
    Remember, the goal now is not to break records and exercise vigorously but to just keep your overall fitness okay.
    Perhaps consider some pregnancy fitness classes later on in your pregnancy.

Congrats :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe look at this time as a way to control the gain rather than trying to lose. I don't think exercise will speed up weight loss but it might help you feel stronger, fitter. Take care with your back and your joints (you know this; you have two already!) because the whole body shifts.
  • tburgardt
    Options
    Thank you
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I ran, lifted weights, carried heavy things and moved to another country at 36 weeks before delivering a healthy baby girl at home, completely naturally, a week late. Then I was pregnant again and did nothing of the sort (back in the US and busy with aforementioned baby) and lost the baby (who was genetically perfect and had no issues) at 13 weeks the day after a healthy check up. You really can't say what is right for another person or another pregnancy and all a doctor will tell you is that exercising is healthy and that you can keep up your current level of fitness as long as you feel comfortable doing so. Tons of women lose weight naturally in the first trimester through an improved diet or morning sickness, so it is unlikely to cause harm, but it shouldn't be your goal. Focus on your overall health and your body will follow. Congratulations! :)
  • bear07041986
    bear07041986 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had 4 healthy babies and exercised through each pregnancy (running, riding horses, yoga, weights, pretty much everything) But everyone is different and I was super active before I was preggo. Congrats and good luck!
  • tburgardt
    Options
    Thank you
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you are already active prior to getting pregnant, it's ok to maintain that activity when pregnant (if pregnancy is ok, and doctor ok's it), however, don't start a new intensive exercise program if you haven't been active before.