Hitting the reset button...need motivational friends

Options
Hey ya'll,

So I made an account about a year ago. Fell off the wagon, and am back for the final time. 28th time, a charm right?

So a little about me and the reason i'm back here is because I have been fat my whole life. I'm over it. I'm sick of not wanting to even go out in 100 degree weather without wearing a jacket because i'm so insecure about my arms.

i'M DONE with emotional eating and binge eating. I know there is no fast fix, but i'm thinking of starting by cutting out all sugar, except natural sugars, and also cutting the carbs.

Let me know yall's thoughts, and as always am looking for a buddy to keep me motivated. Although, the number one motivation should be from myself.

Peace. Love. Health

Replies

• d08t
    d08t Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The no/low carbs does work, but eventually you'll wind up right back where you started or worse. You body needs a balance of protein, carbs and fat. Most important is the source and types of protein, carbs and fat. It will take longer to see the results, but you will look better and be more healthy in the long run. Weight lifting mixed with cardio is the way to go. Hope this helps.
  • hunterlawns
    hunterlawns Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I second that motion...it does work that what I'm on now!
  • heatherbest01
    heatherbest01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll,

So I made an account about a year ago. Fell off the wagon, and am back for the final time. 28th time, a charm right?

So a little about me and the reason i'm back here is because I have been fat my whole life. I'm over it. I'm sick of not wanting to even go out in 100 degree weather without wearing a jacket because i'm so insecure about my arms.

i'M DONE with emotional eating and binge eating. I know there is no fast fix, but i'm thinking of starting by cutting out all sugar, except natural sugars, and also cutting the carbs.

Let me know yall's thoughts, and as always am looking for a buddy to keep me motivated. Although, the number one motivation should be from myself.

Peace. Love. Health

• heatherbest01
    heatherbest01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate, I hate going without a cover up on as well and it makes me miserable when summer hits because I have so many layers on. I recently cut ties with my so called friends because they were not positive influences in my life so now here iam looking for a motivational buddy as well. Having someone to plan and prepare meals with and to do workouts with is all I'm missing at the moment. Since I can't find a workout buddy I plan to join my local pool asap to start my new workout plan.
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I found I can't cut out foods that I love but I do well if I can have them in moderation. My weight loss is slow but steady about 50 pounds in a year with no exercise. I'm slowly tweaking my diet to include more low calorie alternatives and have recently found an exercise that I enjoy.Most days I have no problem staying under my allowed calories. I lose slowly but I do not gain and I am moving in the right direction. I think I will be successful as I am making changes in my lifestyle that I can live with after I reach goal.
  • kelseymfritts
    kelseymfritts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat!!! Need motivation buddies. So tired of feeling insecure and unhappy!
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you! I used to be so committed, then I just lost motivation. I'm back and ready to do work! I'm trying to cut sugar out of my diet as much as possible and trying to workout at least 5 days a week.

Feel free to add me so we can support each other! :)

• Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Step one: change your mindset. Instead of wanting to, you have to lose weight. Make it a priority and build your daily schedule around your workouts. Be consistent. Be patient. And get moving. Feel free to add me.
  • Marius73737
    Marius73737 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me guys :)
  • xoxoamandaz
    xoxoamandaz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat i need a motivational partner or partners......
  • finadvisor
    finadvisor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yep, add me to the boat! Lost 40 lbs, got freaked out [my protection was melting away] and gained 20 lbs back. I am recommitting and would like motivational friends! How do we add each other?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

This is just setting up to be another failure. You really need to figure out which path is most compatible with your life, and base whatever plan you come up with on that.

Chasing the latest buzz diet on MFP (which is exactly what "no added sugar" etc is) isn't going to work any better than the 28 previous things you tried.

Good luck!

:drinker:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs and sugar is not the answer unless you're going to cut carbs and sugar for an extended period of time (like, life). If you want to (or can) do that - then absolutely do. But that's not going to solve your binge/emotional eating issues.

My advice is to identify what emotions make you feel like you need to eat. To do that, log your food, without changing anything for a week or two, and make note of how you feel, the amount of stress you were under, etc. Try to establish patterns in your eating and identify which emotions cause you eat. Then start addressing those emotions in a healthy way - by going for a walk, doing some yoga, speaking with a friend or therapist, etc. Figure out what/how you overeat and ways you can avoid that (half a serving of chips instead of the bag, two pieces of chocolate instead of the whole bar).

Wanting to make changes is fantastic - and a great first step. But I really do think that addressing the underlying issue that's tied into food will help a lot more than cutting carbs/sugar.
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am in the same place as well. Just came back today and also need motivation and people to help keep me on track!
  • xoxoamandaz
    xoxoamandaz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    blue696 wrote: »
    I am in the same place as well. Just came back today and also need motivation and people to help keep me on track!

me too u can add me if u want we can help eachother out
  • chunkmonkey2013
    chunkmonkey2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate.........am hoping to get back on track tomorrow.......tomorrow is a new day right? Feel free to add me as I could use some support in this fight as well! :)
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Just started logging again. Seems like whenever I start I have a set back, I get sick, sprain my ankle, etc. My ankle is healing and is still a nuisance but I'm here logging. I'm doing a low carb higher fat diet right now. But I have been diagnosed before with diabetes and I have sleep apnea. Even on the low carb my daily goal is about 210. Feel free to add me! Wish there was people that lived close by that wanted to go for walks and go to the gym with me!
  • RonwynAngel
    RonwynAngel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My brother paid $19,000 for me to have a laparoscopic gastric sleeve and over the last six months I have nibbled my way through the day to an extent that I gained 7 kilos back. No more! I am back at the gym most mornings now for an hour, I have started taking garcinia tablets again as they help me control the Nibbles (placebo effect or for real I don't care, it works) and I am back on MFP to have accountability. I don't want to write down lollies I eat so I don't eat. I do want to show weight loss, exercise done, good food eaten and to use the blog as a journal for my journey. Next goal back to 100 kgs (220 lbs) then down in 5kg increments till I get to the 70 kgs. We can do it together and remember no fad diets. Balanced food input and exercise. The pool is brilliant if you have access to one as you push against water resistance but are supported at the same time. I miss being close to a warm pool as ours is too cold most of the year. Go for it.
  • RonwynAngel
    RonwynAngel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A bad day does not need to lead to a bad week, then a bad month followed by a bad year. Stop straight away and restart or reset then. Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you are correct. Ask for and expect support. Keep going.
  • KassieRose_13
    KassieRose_13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. It can be 100 degrees with 90% humidity and I will go outside in jeans and feel as if I should be wearing something to cover my arms as well. We can help each other out :)