Exercise calories

Options
I noticed that for the premium MyFitnessPal we can exclude exercise calories from our daily calorie equation.

Is it better to include or exclude them if your looking to lose weight?

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Excluding I believe should increase your weightloss.

If you were eating them back.

I guess I would turn it off if I didn't do much exercise or had mfp set at .5 per week but didn't mind losing 1 or 2 a week.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Really? That might be a reason to up to premium, as it's the one feature I don't like on MFP. To work around that on the free MFP, I don't log my exercises until I'm ready to close out, then I log them all (if any, hah!) just so that I'm not tempted to eat back my alleged exercise calories. For that reason alone, I just might have to look into premium! Thanks!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Really? That might be a reason to up to premium, as it's the one feature I don't like on MFP. To work around that on the free MFP, I don't log my exercises until I'm ready to close out, then I log them all (if any, hah!) just so that I'm not tempted to eat back my alleged exercise calories. For that reason alone, I just might have to look into premium! Thanks!

You can click on the calories and just change it to 1. That's what I do-for the same reason
  • Merkavar
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Can't you just look at the numbers? Like for me in the app it has

6k goal
    -6k of what I have eaten
    1k exercise
    Then 1k net

Can't you just ignore the exercise and just eat until your eaten amount matches the goal? Ignoring the exercise and net amounts?

Or does it remove exercise from everything? Like the 5 week forecast, the weekly graphs etc?

Also why no premium in Australia?
  • zanyzanycrazy
    zanyzanycrazy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It only removes the exercise calories from your calorie count. And yes, you could just eat until your food equals your calorie goal, but that means doing math in your head to figure out what you have left if you are trying to determine what options you have that fit into the remaining calorie amount.

I don't do math quickly in my head, so that's more work than I care to do. (I know, kind of lazy- but I'm an accountant that deals with numbers all day long, so I'm ok passing on additional math.)

Premium is very new to the U.S., so they may be working on pushing it out to Australia andother countries right now.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Can't you just follow the total/gross calorie column? No maths needed.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    It only removes the exercise calories from your calorie count. And yes, you could just eat until your food equals your calorie goal, but that means doing math in your head to figure out what you have left if you are trying to determine what options you have that fit into the remaining calorie amount.

I don't do math quickly in my head, so that's more work than I care to do. (I know, kind of lazy- but I'm an accountant that deals with numbers all day long, so I'm ok passing on additional math.)

Premium is very new to the U.S., so they may be working on pushing it out to Australia andother countries right now.

Same, I work in accounting too. I try to avoid extra maths too. I hate it when people ask me to work something out for them like I'm some math genius. I have excel and calculators at work for that :smiley:
  • zanyzanycrazy
    zanyzanycrazy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lol! I completely agree!