Running speeds: non racers

Options
Hey fellow runners! I got a question about my running speed...so I'm short,5'4" and I'm curious what the overall difference between us shorties and you long legged ladies? I don't race I run for exercise and because I love running yet I feel like I'm not a fast runner. And I wanna be fast. Typically I run roughly about 10:25ish on long runs. Is this a decent speed?

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and that is about my pace on long runs too. In races like a 5K I do between 9:15 - 9:30 pace. My teenage daughter is 5' and runs a 5K in 22 mins her teammate is 5'10" and runs it in 21 mins - so I don't think it makes a difference.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Size isn't the determinant of speed, but yeah your speed is fine...unless you want to run faster. If you want to run faster you absolutely can, but you have to train for it. I'm in that boat. Right now I'm 10 minute-ish. I want to be faster. I AM going to run faster.
  • jetskisimpson
    jetskisimpson Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ok that's good to know. When I'm trying to set a PR I have 3 times for 3 different terrains: treadmill 7:33, track 8:24 and road/town about 9:07. I've also noticed that certain times of day are different as opposed to evening runs which I usually go for cuz it fits my schedule best. Is that fairly common?
  • jetskisimpson
    Options
    I hear ya on that fbinsc! I too will run faster!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I think lots of things make a difference in speed, time of day, temperature, a million things. I also think you can run every day at the same time and conditions and run completely different runs, it's all a part of being a runner. I do know that the more mileage I put in the faster I become.
  • jetskisimpson
    Options
    Yes I have noticed that as well. I've actually been running 3 days and walking 3 days and Sunday my rest day and I've noticed a big difference in my speed and distance. I also kinda focus in my first mile and then after about my 3rd mile I start doing intervals. And that has made some difference as well. So although my time is always in the 10 min area I always do interval so I speed up/slow down a bit. And I usually do 5miles walk/run.
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Myself I never run more than one mile at a time, because I cannot endure it well. Usually I run it between 6:00 to 6:20.
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Myself I never run more than one mile at a time, because I cannot endure it well. Usually I run it between 6:00 to 6:20.

I have long legs too, 6'0" tall, so I really stride out my runs.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I am about 5.6 and a bit and run really slowly. I usually do 5K in about 42-43 minutes. If I ever get to do a race I'm in trouble as they seem to have timing restrictions of 40 minutes. I also do tiny steps. For some reason I can run longer and don't get side stitches if I stick to small steps.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    10:25min/mile? That's not a bad pace at all.
  • futuremathematician
    futuremathematician Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's about my pace when I run a 5K. I'm also 5'10" and not really a runner haha. I think height may effect short sprints but overall I don't think it matters that much!
  • jetskisimpson
    Options
    Awesome thanks for all the insight. And feed back. And any advice is always welcome!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you are running intervals or fartleks on *every* run, you should probably set some of your runs aside just to run a slower training pace, but run longer. You'll find that will help build your endurance. You'll put more time in running but the reduced pace will protect you from overuse and injury. An 80/20 split between longer slower runs and faster tempo runs is a good starting point.

Keep your pace for longer slow pace runs such that you can carry on something of a conversation (out loud) without it being too strained. If you can't manage that, slow down. If you stick with that approach you'll find your pace naturally improves while still allowing you to talk out loud.
  • jetskisimpson
    Options
    Sweet! I'll try that for sure. Thanks for the advice.
  • rockinrodders123
    rockinrodders123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mr Picklesworth, you run a 6 minute mile but can only manage one of them? Are you sure you're not thinking of KM instead?

If it is 6 mins per mile then that's a very good pace so no wonder you can only endure one mile, I'd suggest slowing it down and you'll be able to go much further.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    About a 10 minute mile is my most natural comfortable pace. If I want to push myself distance-wise on a long run (which at the moment is 13-14K) I have to concentrate on going slower. Race pace for 5K is about an 8 minute mile, and 9 for a 10K. It's not fast IMO but then I have never really trained specifically for speed.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Height doesn't matter too much, except in the fact that people who are taller may weigh a bit more, and, because running is essentially a battle against gravity, that can be a factor. But short or tall, everyone's stride tends to be about the same 160-200 steps per minute. It's the amount of power you generate in those steps that matters. In elite running, everyone hangs out around 190 steps per minute, so they all take the same number of steps but the faster runner generates more power in each step.

I think they hardest concept to grasp in running is the idea that you need to slow down to run faster. It seems to counter intuitive but it's the truth! slowing down lets you:

1- run more miles because you are not as tired
    2- burn more calories because you are running more miles-- lighter = faster
    3- enjoy running more so you can be motivated to run more miles

plus all the physiological benefits like ramping up your cardiovascular system :)
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Seems like an awesome oace to me. I cant seem to get under 12:30-13 minutes...(5'5") Then again, I've obly been at it two months.
  • jetskisimpson
    Options
    Thanks carrieendar! That makes sense. Running slower does seem like it's defeating the purpose but I see how it's actually benefiting. And since I don't race I shouldn't focus completely on speed. I need endurance. Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to say if that's a good speed for your runs without knowing the effort level you are at. It may be just right or it may be too fast or too slow.