Welcome Back Ranch (dressing)

Options
otr12
otr12 Posts: 632 Member
Dear Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch,

Oh how I've missed you! I started a journey a few months ago and I just couldn't figure out how to make a packet of you fit with all my other luggage. Don't be offended. I left your loyal companion mayonnaise behind too. I have to admit I've strayed. I've dipped into your creamy low fat cousins. But unlike a packet of Taco Bell border sauce, being shrouded in plastic made them taste weird. I made a few stops along the way to visit you, but I tried to marry you with reduced calorie mayo. I'm so sorry I had to dump you down the toilet after that.

You have to know I've always loved you. You turned baby carrots into mere vessels. You stood proud on iceberg while vinaigrette's danced with arugula and called you uncivilized. I was never ashamed of my affections for you. It always brought me such joy to let my pizza crust swim in your depths.

Last night I decided to drop in and see you one last time. I introduced you to my new friend greek yogurt. I've never tasted him alone because I fear the rejection. He gets bad reviews. But he's like condiment tofu to me; absorbing other flavors and adding bulk and protein with no fat. I'm amazed with well you two got along! I entered you in My Recipes with low fat buttermilk three times just to make sure the numbers were right. It seemed too good to be true. But it was. Fifty grams of you is only 25 calories and less than 1 gram of fat! The other dressing only want me to have about 30 grams of them, and they punish me with more calories than you to do it.

Thank you for forgiving me Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch. I've been so cruel to you in trying to make you something you're not. I can't tell you how happy I am to have you in my fridge again, faithfully waiting for me to get hungry.

IMAG0122.jpg

This salad, which weighed in at 1 pound 4 ounces, has only 197 calories! 75 grams of that was ranch dressing. This was my dinner yesterday if you want to look at the breakdown.

Ranch recipe (by weight)
1 packet Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch
100 grams low fat buttermilk
250 grams Dannon greek yogurt, plain, fat free
make 7 servings, 50 grams each.

Replies

• TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    :laugh: That's hilarious! And thanks for the idea of making ranch out of greek yogurt!! I'm going to have to try that!
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • papillon0128
    papillon0128 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you ! :-)
  • ChirishGirl
    ChirishGirl Posts: 111
    Options
    I love this! Writing letters to our frustrations can be so therapeutic (and funny!) You should read some that I've written to that dang little black dress of mine.

I had the same issue but started getting the powdered mix (I like the spicy one) and mix it with fat free sour cream. I add a little skim milk if I want to thin it out for a salad, but it's awesome for my veggies! I'm thinking I may have to try the greek yogurt option next time!
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    God Bless you.
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Awesome post!

I love ranch. Specially with french fries. 2 things I have been limiting myself while i lose another 10 lbs.
  • tmontgomery69
    tmontgomery69 Posts: 180
    Options
    Bump
  • shorterthanmost
    Options
    oh...bless you!! I made up an avocado - greek yogurt dressing and it was so boring, even with herbs...I am going to add some buttermilk, my mouth is watering all ready!
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    Brilliant.
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • annastacia10
    annastacia10 Posts: 106
    Options
    God Bless you.

I second that! Thank you! I want to cry everytime I see my boyfriend's salad drenched in ranch I can't have!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Oh how I envy those of you who are so clever!

Must try the recipe though :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew how to convert grams to ounces. :sad:
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew how to convert grams to ounces. :sad:

http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/grams-to-ounces.htm

100g low fat buttermilk = 3.5oz
    250g dannon greek yogurt = 8.8oz
    serving size 50 grams = 1.7oz
  • dcornwe
    dcornwe Posts: 73
    Options
    LOVE IT! Im going to make a Veggie Pizza for a party this weekend and use Greek Yogurt and Ranch packets instead of the cream cheese and sour cream!!!
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    hot diggity dog!!! Thanks for the tip....Hidden Valley Ranch, here I come!
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Too funny!! I LOVE buttermilk ranch!!!
  • mikesnwgirl
    mikesnwgirl Posts: 112
    Options
    Ranch dressing is one of the things I miss the most. I will for sure have to try this!! Thanks for sharing.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know of a ranch dry mix that doesn't have MSG, Maltodextrin, Carrageenan, and Calcium Stearate in it?