Depression/Anxiety and Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• sunnycrash
    sunnycrash Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I second what other people above have said, that your mental health should always come first. Losing weight is a challenge, psychically and emotionally even in the best of situations, so be very patient and kind to yourself, especially if you slip up or don't see the results you want right away, I can't stress this enough, not punishing myself in those situations and instead treating myself with love and compassion was a game changer for me. I know doing that isn't easy, it's a journey in and of itself, but I found it to be crucial.

On a more practical note, what I used to do is rely on bags of frozen vegetables like peas, corn, green beans or mixes that you can microwave or boil, and add some protein to it, easy things like canned lentils or beans, a couple eggs or a veggie buger in the microwave, not terribly exciting but with spices, you can make satisfying, nutritious meals in like 10 minutes, less even. Portioning out snacks or small meals in advance is also a good idea, hopefully things you'll enjoy, personally I'm a fan of almonds and raisins. If you're going to get food delivered, maybe you can look into other options that are at least a bit healthier (I know it can be expensive though) and have smaller portions, that would already be a big improvement.

I wish you all the best, I hope your medication helps you feel a lot better and you reach your goals, if you ever need motivation or advice I'm here for you!
  • xdanikadrake
    xdanikadrake Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Me! This sounds so fun!
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    hey everyone, i'm kit and i'm 21 years old. i currently weigh 272 lbs and have recently been diagnosed with depression and social anxiety and have started medication for both (100 mg of sertraline daily). i just wanted to know if anyone else on these forums has dealt with the mental illness hurdles that you face when trying to lose weight. on the days when my depression rears its ugly head, i find i don't have the energy to cook anything really and will instead order delivery or even go to a drive-thru and get fried things. i don't really have a ton of money either because i'm a college student working full time for the summer. this is mainly just me half-venting and reaching out, but if you have any advice, i'd love to hear it!

I have been there. On the days I'm feeling really tired and depressed, I will make something easy pasta or something) or I just get takeout that fits in my cals. I have struggled with depression and anxiety for many years but have still managed to lose 80lbs. It is possible.

I sent you a FR :)
  • skittlsv2
    skittlsv2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have panic anxiety disorder and social anxiety disorder and treatment resistant depression. I have been on just about every anti depressant for over 30 years now. Major depression along with panics and anxiety has crippled me most of my life. Nervous breakdowns are no joke and being hospitalized isn't either. My lowest weight was 82 lbs and my highest was 170... Just started trying to lose weight again. It's hard when you literally will stay inside your home for months and not go anywhere. Right now I'm struggling to stay motivated. I've lost 6 lbs in 5 weeks but I wanted to lose more than that. I have taken baby steps on my weight loss place to try an minimize my disappointment. I have no friends so I'm on my own in this. Hang in there and do what you can when you can. The more you beat yourself up the less likely you are to move forward. I understand 100% as I too am trying to stay positive.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and major depression here. Struggled with it almost my entire life, and it made losing weight almost impossible. I'd pull it together for a couple weeks, then I'd fall apart and start drinking again, eating fast food, and generally hating myself and everything about my life...losing any kind of progress I'd manage to make.

Getting treatment was the best thing I've ever done for myself. Taking Lexapro and seeing a therapist, gave me the motivation back to take care of myself. Lost 25 lbs since then. It's still a fight sometimes, but at least now I feel like I have the strength to fight back.

As far as food goes, cook a bunch of stuff up and throw it in the fridge, cause then even if you don't feel like cooking, you can just grab something already made and go. I also buy alot of easy to make microwaveable stuff...cause depression or no, I'm still not much of a cook.

Best of luck to you, I'm sending you a friend request. We're all gonna make it.
  • deasphodel
    deasphodel Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm taking citalopram for my anxiety and depression at the moment. I know how you feel about cooking, it really is difficult. I'm actually in the process of moving out of my university house, so I've been in almost exactly the same situation it seems

I would try and find fresh fruit cheap, which is especially easy at this time of year, and frozen ready meals. I wouldn't worry about calories too much right now, the important thing is that you actually eat enough to keep going right now.

I hope you get better soon. I've really found MFP useful since I've been diagnosed, it's given me something to pay attention to and helped me gain some control.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My depression is largely gone now although it was severe and I do still suffer from anxiety. Exercise helps me massively with my anxiety. Just be kind to yourself, take it slowly - for the first couple of weeks I wouldn't try to make any changes, just log. If you can keep a diary or a note of how certain foods/hunger make you feel that might help as well - some foods can affect our mood e.g. chocolate causing that surge then dip, and I know when I get too hungry my anxiety is much worse.
  • gohawkeyes2426
    gohawkeyes2426 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hey everyone, i'm kit and i'm 21 years old. i currently weigh 272 lbs and have recently been diagnosed with depression and social anxiety and have started medication for both (100 mg of sertraline daily). i just wanted to know if anyone else on these forums has dealt with the mental illness hurdles that you face when trying to lose weight. on the days when my depression rears its ugly head, i find i don't have the energy to cook anything really and will instead order delivery or even go to a drive-thru and get fried things. i don't really have a ton of money either because i'm a college student working full time for the summer. this is mainly just me half-venting and reaching out, but if you have any advice, i'd love to hear it!

I am in a similar situation. I was diagnosed with depression many years ago but it wasn't until the last few years that it's taken a toll on my weight. As I get older, I get more wore out, less motivated, and realizing that although I am only 26...I cannot eat like a teenager! The problem is that with depression, we are always seeking some form of comfort. And I have been finding this in food. I also eat a lot when I am bored at home every night. This starts that vicious cycle of gaining more weight, feeling more depressed, more fatigued, less motivated, craving more comfort foods (I have a weakness for sugary foods). Has anyone found ways to really kick yourself in the butt and get motivated? I work full-time, am also on a tight budget, and am in the process of moving to a new city and new job to begin graduate college so I am in need of some serious stress reduction too! I would be more than willing to help each other out of you want to add me! Social support can do great wonders
  • losinglbs87
    losinglbs87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hi Kit,
    I am Teri, 27.... Also suffer with depression and use food as something for comfort. I am also on 100mg Sertraline...

Feel free to add me if you ant some support xx