my weight fluctuates everyday

Options
:/ some day I wake up and I am at my goal weight other I weigh up to 4 pounds more. My clothes also fit different sometimes. For example the waist of the pants may be really lose but it fits a bit tight around the thigh area. Please offer some tips to maintain my weight.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Daily fluctuations are normal. TOM and sodium are just two things that can contribute to this. You cannot control it.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    You had better get use to it, weight fluctuates every day for almost everyone. It is due to hormones, fluid retention, dehydration, rehydration, exercise, volume of food, fluid intake, etc etc etc.

Intensive weight or strength training can cause fluid retention in the muscles worked, the body retains the fluid to help it repair the tears in the muscle fibres.
  • KalayahW
    KalayahW Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification :)
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It is not about your exact weight. Absolutely no one on this planet can weigh the exact same number everyday. You need to pick a weight RANGE and try to stay within that range. Like a 10 pound range for example.
  • KalayahW
    KalayahW Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This seems like some awesome advice. I hope it calms my anxiety and fear of gaining weight.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @KalayahW Gaining weight is never the issue. Most people don't understand that gaining fat and gaining weight are two completely different things. Your real goal should be to keep your body fat percentage where you want it. (Within a range) Regardless of what you weigh.
    Weight, meaning actual pounds, can be a fake representation of your actual health and fitness. (unless of course a person is obese or close to it) You see you can weigh 2 pounds over your goal and then just go poop and fix that. Or for you ladies you can have your period and that messes with weight as well. The point I am making is that poop or period stuff is not actually your real weight now is it? Don't let the number on the scale be your only guide.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You had better get use to it, weight fluctuates every day for almost everyone. It is due to hormones, fluid retention, dehydration, rehydration, exercise, volume of food, fluid intake, etc etc etc.

Intensive weight or strength training can cause fluid retention in the muscles worked, the body retains the fluid to help it repair the tears in the muscle fibres.

^^ yep, this - if you are a daily weigher then you need to get used to it, its completely normal to fluctuate by a few pounds each day +/-.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    All great advice here. My varies from the most bizarre things, although the most common is eating foods different than my normal diet (as in the foods I usually eat). So if I eat candy, or even a couple of slices of bread and DON'T chug down water, my weight will be up the next day.

Track your trend weight over a few weeks to know what's really going on.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    KalayahW wrote: »
    my weight fluctuates everyday

So does everyone else. It is proof that you are a living breathing creature and not a lump of coal.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I could weigh myself 20 times a day and get 20 different numbers. I had to finally stop getting on the scale a gazillion times a day and I try my best to stick to Sunday mornings, maybe middle of the week once. During my period, I can go up 5 pounds overnight and that used to be depressing but I realize it's not fat, just water.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Unless you eat and drink the exact same thing every day at the same time every day, do the same things at the same time every day, poop and pee at the same time every day, and weigh yourself at the same time every day, there's going to be fluctuations. Even with all that... there's going to be fluctuations. Because you're human.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Mine bounces around a lot too. I wake up some mornings at 118 and some at 127. I track my weight everyday and compare the basic trend. I kinda look at the month as a whole. If I notice the trend going up from one month to the next I adjust down if it goes down I adjust up. I don't panic if the scale is bad a couple days or even a week.
  • BarbaraR5563
    BarbaraR5563 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    KalayahW wrote: »
    This seems like some awesome advice. I hope it calms my anxiety and fear of gaining weight.

I completely understand the anxiety and fear of gaining weight. I'm 5ft tall and petite. I weigh 117 lbs. My new goal range I just changed is to get to 105 lbs. It isn't unrealistic as short as I am even though I am thin. When I am at 105 I will have a range of 7 lbs of 112lbs at the most. Why not 10 lbs? 10lbs is a whole size in clothing.

Yes you will probably fluctuate in weight. A couple things I do is not weigh daily but about every 3 or 4 days. I do not go weeks because it can get away from you. I always weigh in first thing in the morning and I try to at the same time and with the same clothes/jammies/or whatever. At least you will have continuity in your weigh ins.

If you are living your life plan by eating healthy, eating proper portions, exercising, and drinking plenty of water you will maintain your weight. Should you increase your exercise and decrease your calorie intake, you will lose weight.

Since you are so "aware" of your ability to let it get out of hand, I am confident you will stay on top of this. You will stay on track in your life journey and be happy and healthy! Much luck. Keep the faith!

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is normal for weight to fluctuate by a few pounds. It happens to all of us. Sodium intake, age, TOM for females, activity level, age. A multitude of contributing factors. I monitor my weight closely (maintenance 20 months) and if I go up by 5# I cut calories. If my weight goes down (it has only happened 2 times) I add a little to by calorie count.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    To echo others I vary daily. I will go up or down four pounds within a very short period of time. It's scary, I know. Just try to look at the overall trend. :)