On a Budget, On the Go, On a Mission Recipes!!!

Options
BeccaKay96
BeccaKay96 Posts: 77 Member
Looking for recipes that are easy, cheap, but healthy!!! I really need to get my eating together so lay them recipes on me!!! ;)

Replies

• asappoeun
    asappoeun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    extra lean ground turkey with rice and veggies?
  • AnnaFortner2015
    AnnaFortner2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stuffed bell peppers are awesome to do. However I don't use traditional beef and rice in mine. I use slow cooked shredded chicken, pinch of cheese, jalapinos, fat free sour cream, fine diced tomatoes, onion diced finely, and I bake at 350 for about an hour to an hour and half. Depending on the size of the bell pepper. I also use the orange. Red and yellow bell peppers for this. Its delicious!
  • mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like vegetable curries with vegetables such as swedes. You can cram them full with all kinds of veg, and make it quite economical and healthy.
  • deneshia425
    deneshia425 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Granola is my on the go, go to
  • PneumaVision
    PneumaVision Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Muesli. Skinless boneless chicken breast tossed on the George Foreman grill. Boil-in-bag curry from the Indian grocery served over smashed cauliflower. Low fat cottage cheese with salsa. Protein powder, almond milk and frozen berries shake. And in my case --- eating my words on a regular basis.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love to have roasted veggies, hard boiled eggs, salad mixes, and rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled chicken frozen on hand.

Roasted veggies:: I can toss them in omelets for dinner or breakfast, side dish to chicken or meatballs, thrown in some pasta...

Hard boiled eggs:: great quick protein alone, tossed on salad, paired with a slice of lunchmeat for a quick snack, chopped with tuna...

Rotisserie chicken:: need I say more? I make southwest egg rolls a lot that are loaded with veggies and spinach. Tossed on salad, wraps, eaten plain in the car (been there!)

• bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    BeccaKay96 wrote: »
    Looking for recipes that are easy, cheap, but healthy!!! I really need to get my eating together so lay them recipes on me!!! ;)

I realize I didn't give you recipes so here's one from this week:

Roasted veggies (see my list above) tossed in a bit of coconut oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper. I spread mine on a pan for 20 minutes at 425. Trader joes chicken sausage (we like sun dried tomato or spinach and fontina) sliced into coins and sautéed until golden on either side. Toss with some chopped garlic and remove. Toss sausage with veggies and serve with a sweet potato or pasta with a bit of Parmesan cheese.

Leftovers can be used for omelets the next night. Bam!
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Try the app "yummly". It's helped me out a lot.
  • Bunnybuns72
    Bunnybuns72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Error4 wrote: »
    Muesli. Skinless boneless chicken breast tossed on the George Foreman grill. Boil-in-bag curry from the Indian grocery served over smashed cauliflower. Low fat cottage cheese with salsa. Protein powder, almond milk and frozen berries shake. And in my case --- eating my words on a regular basis.

Hi. In your opinion are frozen fruit and veggies good enough for shakes, detox drinks?
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Lunches: Rotisserie chicken + whatever veggies are in season + box prewashed lettuce. Plus condiments to keep it interesting like olives and jalapeños. Add an apple or orange. Lo-budget, clean and could not be easier.

Right now I'm into zucchini and yellow squash. Sauté briefly with onion in a little olive oil. Add a can of fire roasted tomatoes (and a little water if needed). Cook covered until fork tender, not mushy. Add a generous pinch of cinnamon (yes, cinnamon) and salt to taste. Cheap, healthy and easy. I made several servings of this and it's even good cold.

I also keep rye-krisp, cucumbers, salsa, and single serve popcorn on hand for times when gotta have crunch :smile:
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot- a boiled egg for breakfast...