Exercise bike? It is okay isn't it?

Options
kcmurray
kcmurray Posts: 33 Member
I am an avid reader, and I like to spend lots of time in the summer reading. I have decided to ride my exercise bike while reading during the day. Riding at a speed that I can read at doesn't really get my heart rate very high, but I do wear a heart rate monitor. I burned 200 calories while reading this afternoon. Even though my heart rate isn't all that high, it is better than sitting on the couch reading, right? I am doing additional exercise, but I thought this might be a way to squeeze in a bit more. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    It's definitely better than sitting on the couch!!! I like to ride mine for an hour of so while I watch tv but I don't ever notice my heart rate getting too high on it either.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    it is absolutely better than sitting on the couch! as long as it isn't your only form of exercise, i'd say it's more than ok!
  • kcmurray
    kcmurray Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Would you count it as part of your daily exercise calories burned? I'm hoping to be able to count those as well.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. If it is a "bonus" exercise session then it is cool. Every 200 calories burned counts!!!!

As a rule, you should be an active participant in your workout. HArd to do that while reading.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Great idea! You might want to really push it for 5 minutes then leisurely read for 15, push fo 5, back to reading etc. It will get your heart rate higher and you'll burn more during your reading time. Congrats to you for finding away to burn calories while doing what you love to do!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    MUCH better than sitting on the couch. I have a Kindle that fits nicely on my bike and I can read forever that way!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I am an avid reader, and I like to spend lots of time in the summer reading. I have decided to ride my exercise bike while reading during the day. Riding at a speed that I can read at doesn't really get my heart rate very high, but I do wear a heart rate monitor. I burned 200 calories while reading this afternoon. Even though my heart rate isn't all that high, it is better than sitting on the couch reading, right? I am doing additional exercise, but I thought this might be a way to squeeze in a bit more. What are your thoughts?

Are you kidding, some people don't get that doing 40 minutes of walking. You bet it's good! And if your HRM said you burned calories, your heart rate was in a good zone. ALL movement/activity is GOOD!
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Would you count it as part of your daily exercise calories burned? I'm hoping to be able to count those as well.

I count everthing I do even if it's just my 10 min walk to the train. It still burns calories! You should see how many calories I burned moving out of my apartment!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you even asked the question. OF COURSE IT'S BETTER! Any extra movement, calorie burn that doesn't lead to injury is a good thing. Keep it up!